Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

has anyone ridden a pedal bike? if so, how does it go? any problems, tips, hints? i live right near the beach and i wish to ride a bike for fun and exercise

i ride a stationary bike with no problem but havent ridden a bike on the street yet

sue

Yes I have and it was a bit tricky to start with. I always dismount near a kerb but it was good to be on a bike again.

Rachel

ps. I am a LBK since April

No problems here Sue. Use clips if you can.

Have had my foot slip off the pedal lots of times.

Cat

I find it fairly easy, just starting again after not riding for a few years. I used to do a bit of mountain biking with no real probs, toe clips def help though. I actually find it much easier than on a stationary bike.

Mike

RBK

I have just started riding more seriously since amputation. Pedel contact problem due to no forward toe flection on prosthetic.

Options:

Shoe Locking Pedal

Adjustable Pedal (changed to increase pressure on prosthetic side)

Have been invited to ride with Amputees Across America in 2006. Sounds very inviting B) :rolleyes:

I used to ride bicycles a lot, but Sydney traffic is too crazy for me, and it seems a bit ridiculous to load the bikes onto the car when you want to go for a ride. I'm BK, with bad knees, in a hilly neighbourhood :( . Two things help: toe clips and gears. If you have low enough gears, the only thing that stops you getting up hills is forgetting to breathe. Since I have a flexion contracture of my right knee, my bicycle has a shorter crank on that side so I don't have to bend my knee as much. My current bicycle (which needs replacement) was custom-made, and the manufacturer suggested the shorter crank - I'd never tried one before.

I learned to ride as a child without toe clips, and my foot only fell off the pedal occasionally. I found when I went back to cycling in my early 20s that I could not keep my foot on the pedal. You get much more power with toe clips, since your good leg, if you have one, can power through more of the circle, and you ride more smoothly.

Since my older son is off training wheels now, we can now ride as a family, with my youngest riding a tag-along bike pulled by my husband - I really need to get my bike tuned up and working properly again, or replace it.

I've never tried shoe locking pedals - since you have to twist your foot to get out, I worry that it would be difficult. Has anyone else tried them? It's almost impossible to buy toe clips and straps around here now.

-kam

I am aka and started back on the bike a month ago.I found that using toe clips was a bit awkward because there is no real ankle joint the back of the foot kept hitting the frame,so I have wrapped valcro around the peddle and use a valcro strap around the training shoe and this allows the foot to be placed where ever it is most comfy.

Ian

I am aka and started back on the bike a month ago.I found that using toe clips was a bit awkward because there is no real ankle joint the back of the foot kept hitting the frame,so I have wrapped valcro around the peddle and use a valcro strap around the training shoe and this allows the foot to be placed where ever it is most comfy.

Ian

just got myself a new folding mountin bike a few days ago

Yeah i like the idea of the valcro strap!!! have you seen them clips without straps? i havnt used them yet but getting them this week to try out........i am aka myself so i let you know how i get on.....

Ian

just got myself a new folding mountin bike a few days ago

Yeah i like the idea of the valcro strap!!! have you seen them clips without straps? i havnt used them yet but getting them this week to try out........i am aka myself so i let you know how i get on.....

well in the end the clips without straps was rubbish :blink: nice and easy to put foot in! i thought wicked! set off down the road and it was a.k.a same old dramas :unsure: foot come out 4 times in about a 2000m bike rided....Doh!!!....i got velcro strap now and i find even that idea a bit of a nightmare... i cant seem to get on bike and strap it up myself :angry: as the velcro strap is allways hanging away from the foot :D so you allways need a friend to do it for me B) maybe i should strengthen the sides with wire so some of it stays ridged

any ideas what to do on this one?

Have you tried a pair of SPD trainers and have the good leg witout the SPD bit on the other leg with the SPD on the shoe so you can clip it in?

Did you read my postings about the pedals and shoes I use?

Have you tried a pair of SPD trainers and have the good leg witout the SPD bit on the other leg with the SPD on the shoe so you can clip it in?

Did you read my postings about the pedals and shoes I use?

nah i didnt read that post i better look for it now

i do quick search on the net for these spd shoes

Are the pedal shoes hard to get on the prosthetic foot?

Not any harder than any other shoe, not easy to walk on, but you can. I really like the SPD pedals and shoe cleats, don't know how I did without them for so long!

Are the pedal shoes hard to get on the prosthetic foot?

Not any harder than any other shoe, not easy to walk on, but you can. I really like the SPD pedals and shoe cleats, don't know how I did without them for so long!

are these ok for aka? as i see its all bk which uses them...just over here in the Uk when you buy thinks like that they seem very reluctant to give refunds if they dont work..as its shoes

Stephen, the only problem I can see would be trying to connect/disconnect from the pedal, it took me a lot of practice to get that to work, and sometimes I still have a little difficulty, I imagine without a knee it might be harder, a good bike shop should be able to help you and see if it's feasable to try it.

Stephen, the only problem I can see would be trying to connect/disconnect from the pedal, it took me a lot of practice to get that to work, and sometimes I still have a little difficulty, I imagine without a knee it might be harder, a good bike shop should be able to help you and see if it's feasable to try it.

thanks for the reply ;) i see how i get on in the shop

thanks for the reply ;) i see how i get on in the shop

I've seen an AK man here that rides without his leg, moves along pretty well, not sure that's a good idea though, I mean, what would happen if the bike broke, be kind of hard to hop home.

I haven't ridden a bicycle since my amputation. I got on my mountain bike a couple times in hopes, but my knee axis was way out to the side instead of lined up with the pedal. I know there are AK's out there doing it, I just haven't figured it out yet. :rolleyes:

Shane, I hope you can ride soon, it is hard to get started, even for a bk, the lack of feeling in the foot makes it hard at first, I can only imagine how hard it must be for an ak. I got into bike riding back in 1989, had to get my cholesterol and BP down, and I couldn't run, so the bike was a good alternative

as others have said - watch the foot slipping of the pedal! especially if your prosthisis is like mine!!!

it hurts when your pedals smashes into the little hole at the back!

We kept peddling along to Henley and something very painful kept happening to me – my artificial foot kept flying off the pedal (as I couldn’t feel where it was on the pedal) and then the Pedal would crash right into the hole at the back of it into my tendon!!!! BIG OUCH. So Wiggy Invented “foot drill” - every time they noticed my foot get a bit close to the edge someone would shout “FOOT DRILL” and I knew I had to move it!!!! “Foot drill” along with “HOLE” and “DRAIN” and “GLASS” was probably the most said thing of the 2 days!!!!!
- Taken from my account of cycling 200 miles!