Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
eddie103

:::Travels with my Amp:::

Hi All:

Was getting tired of the same old topics so I thought I would raise a very common one for everybody.

I know there is an area for "traveling with special needs" but I am not a special needs person...........I'm just missing a few parts and have a few new ones.

Before my "incident" we travelled quite a bit. Since being wacked.......I have travelled via cruise ship through the Carribean, Panama Canal and return, did a stint in Cuba at a sucky resort and am heading to Cabo San Lucas this Feb. in the next summer, I will be RVing with my new kit.

Each trip has been at different stages of my "development'. Each type brought it's own situations, experiences and events!!!

I would ask those who have travelled since their amp to include their stuff here for all.

ED

::: First Cruise Since Being Wacked :::

Time line: 10 months post op

Destination: SOUTH

Cruise Line: Princess

Duration: 7 day

Post op sit: wheelchair, legs, frame walker

Having cruised before, we knew that I would be ok on a ship. There is nowhere I cannot go and I should be OK. We studied all the internet sites about off shore excursions and chose those that I felt I could handle…….I was soooo confident and in denial………. and ……I was wrong a couple of times in my choice.

There was no problem for me on board except for some of the old women ……….and believe me…….there are a lot of them (guess their men WANTED to die before them!!!)

I would use my walker to go to the shows etc. In the theatre, the back rows are reserved for “those with walking difficulties”. I guess I qualified for this area so that is where I sat, always on the end seat so I could get up easier.

Wellllllllllll, that was a mistake.

Seems old age qualifies old farty females to sit in this section also. I gave up real early trying to accommodate them as they tried to pass by…….you know……….struggle to move so there was room for them to get by. After the first one or two, I just sat there……………want past me baby…………go over………..sorry……………these puppies don’t move on their own!!!.

And of course, there was the rush stampede of wobbly old farts when the show was over as they headed to the snack bar looking for their nightly prune ration. I got knocked a couple of times by semi conscious oldies.

As for excursions, I was limited to those where the ship actually docked. At those destinations where “tenders” were used to unload the herd, I refrained from going ashore as I was not capable of getting on the tender. On shore, I used my wheelchair while I wore legs, used legs when necessary to get on board a travel bus etc. Got carried on board a train by several locals after I collapsed into a heap of metal and flesh trying to get up those dam steps.

The cruise was a good choice for me at that stage. I anticipate future cruises as I am much better now than I was then………….at least I will have a chance against those old farty females!!!

ED

at least I will have a chance against those old farty females!!!

Don't you believe it Ed, they're cunning old devils :)

::: Castro Land - Cuba :::

Post Op date: some15 months

Place: Veradera(?) Beach area

Stay: 7 day all inclusive

State: Wheelchair / full legs c/w/ red shells / canes

A visit to Cuba was my first attempt at an “all inclusive” spot since my mangling. We had the travel agent “research” the resorts and we ended up taking one that advertised itself as a “wheelchair friendly” resort.

Upon arriving at the airport, it was necessary for me to “transfer” (I hate that word) to a wheel chair of theirs. Mine went through security. Later I had to get in my own chair once again. We were loaded onto a travel bus at which my chair and stuff went into the belly and I walked up the steps of the bus. Of course I was always the last one off.

Arrived at the hotel about 11:00 at night…………..found our room…watched the cockroaches march down the hall way………got another room a bit of a way from the main center.

The next morning we head out to the main building sans legs ‘cause I’m faster…..find the pool…….get a spot………..drink many a rum………..and had to pee.

It was then I realized “wheelchair friendly” is Cuban for “we got some ramps man but they are all 45 degree angles and that is all!!! Not only that, I found that, once I “hopped” the step with my chair…………….yes I could get into the common area washroom………but there was not one stall able to let a chair in!!! This presents a problem……….so I wait till everyone has gone………..do my little stump stand……..and am able to pee in the general direction of then urinal. Oh well.

Back out for some more rums………….learned to like a drink called a Mahito(?) The food was buffet style………and sucked!!!. The next day, Eddie has to poop!! Wait till everybody is gone…….transfer onto a waste basket…………then over to the toilet….and back. I do not know how a person stuck in a wheelchair would survive.

There is no meat in Cuba. Chicken looked like it was fed used motor oil. White meat is non existent. Chicken breasts are dark!!! I remember the day we did get meat. I was finally happy so I loaded a bunch. A comment was made……..”gee, I didn’t know you liked cow’s tongue that much”……………more rum.

For me to make it to the beach, there was a trail that led to sand’s edge. I then would bum my way over to a beach chair…………….more rum. Women not wearing a top were so old that the shark’s would throw them back! I did make it to water’s edge once on principle. Bummed my way the whole distance…………..sat in a wave or two……bummed my way back………realized that the back pocket of my shorts was filling up with sand and dragging my shorts down………sand and bumming people do not mix well…………….more rum.

Went to Havana……….saw all the slogans etc like “vivre le revolution”………..like get over it….that was fifty years ago. Traveled in a big bus……..sat at the front………..locals just STARED…not because I have no legs…..they were trying to figure out where they could use my parts in their ’57 Chevy after they cut them off me.

I never saw another wheelchair……….accessible van……or other stuff some may need to use.

I did not like Cuba…………will never go back…………would not recommend it to anyone………….other than it is cheap.

ED

Oh yeah – we had to PAY an exiting fee before being allowed to get off the island…………thanks Fidal!!

Ed, I thought I was the rum drinker around here, don't think I could keep up with you though. :huh:

By the way, don't think I'll be going to Cuba in the forseeable future! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice.

Looking at a Carnival Cruise to the Carribean in November, depends how I manage with yet another new leg, which is to be cast in two weeks, so can't book anything yet :(

Is the cruise to the Carribean? It is the end of the hurricane season at that time.

They are very good at avoiding bad weather though.

Myself...........heading to Cabo San Lucas in Feb..five star+........all inclusive................more rum!!!

ED

Ed, I'm glad you mentioned the hurricane season, I'm not sure about that, will have to do a bit of research before we book anything.

By the way where is Cabo San Lucas?

Oh yeah – we had to PAY an exiting fee before being allowed to get off the island

Ed I had to pay an exit fee to leave Vancouver, after I'd waited in the airport for 9 hours for the connecting flight. I was only passing through on my way home from Australia :)

Sorry to hear you had a bad time in Cuba. People who I know that have gone there have a had a great time (but then if they're friends of mine they're probably very strange :lol: :lol: )

By the way where is Cabo San Lucas

Somewhere on the Pacific side of Mexico. Supposed to be not too hot and very good.

Sorry to hear you had a bad time in Cuba. People who I know that have gone there have a had a great time

I have found this also. However, my impression is that, if asked, Cuba is more times than not, these people's first trip away from the winters here...............so of course it would be great. I also notice with others, that if you delve a little deeper with some people, they will admit that their trip wasn't really alll that good.

I only know that there are many other places for me to see and others way better to spend my money.

ED

Well , this wointter in jan of 2006 my famaiily and me are traveelling to Eeurope for a whhile siince they are takkiing a long skiiiing vacctiion . I will b eenot skiiing but ddoing more personal things . It iis my inteenttion to leave Canada for good soon a after that and mooveing to a pplace that is near , no , ON the ooceann bbecause that is my REAL home .I knowign i having to live in or nnear ana area that has high leveles of tecchcnollgy bbecuase of thee pros isues but i thinkkiing that this willing worrking itseelf out on it''ss own anaywaay . In a away , jan will be the fisist day of the restt of my life and i am loookiinmg waay forward to a liffettime of etetrnall hhappyness . Oceans , animmalls , bbeeing waay happy gurl ......... yaaa , countting thte dayys......

Hmmmmm....travel.....yummy :P

Within Australia I've been to:

Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Gold Coast ,Ayres Rock(Ularu), Alice springs, most of Tasmania and tons places in Victoria(where I live). Looking forward to two weeks time when we are going to spend a few days up ay Daylesford at the Spa resort getting pampered (guess who is gonna have a facial, manicure, pedicure and a milk bath.....woohoooo).

Overseas I have been to:

England(mostly around Cambridge) U.S. (LA, Denver, Vegas, Arizona), and of course I'm looking forward to seeing some more of the U.S. next year.

So far I've loved everything I have seen, except maybe LA with all the homeless people in the streets which I found pretty scary, but the surrounds of LA are wonderful (Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice Beach, Long Beach......Rodeo Drive:P :P :P :P)

Still got lots I want to see yet......if I ever get enough time :lol:

Don't drink the night before you hire a fishing boat

Yearghh, pussy land lubber :lol: :lol: :lol:

The seals have legs that look like crocodile skin

Hmm don't remember going there :lol:

:D Eddy,

I always like to read whatever you write because for sure I will have a good laughter.. I could listen to your stories forever I guess.

I would recomend BRAZIL ! Not South of it (RIO DE JANEIRO OR SAO PAULO for exemple.but North.States like Bahia, (first Capital of Brazil, famous for its food, music, and historic buildings etc) or any other State up north like CEARA, ALAGOAS, etc etc..you would love not just the people but also the beaches and most of all the cost. The dollar is equal 2.46 or 2.56 reais (Brazillian money) . and the brazillian people just love to have guests on their land...they are soooo proud of their hostality that they would do anything to make your staying great, and unforgetfull, even though half of the population lives from pay check to paycheck

I would not recomend Rio de Janeiro although it is the most beautiful city by my husband' stander, or Sao Paulo because of the crime. Rio is a very dangerous city. They both are just like New York City so what the hell would anyone from big city go on vacation there for? There they have the same they would have back home!!!

Caution: drink water only from bottle and if it comes to you with unbroken seal.

My husband recomends to everybody: eat, drink do whatever the local people is eating, drinking or doing. This way you will fit well with them. After one, two maybe three days of not feeling very well, you will be ready to anything they throw at you...My husband spends most of his days drinking Batidas or pure Cachaca (better than old aged wisk or rum, my husband says.) Everytime I go there, all his american friends want me to bring some cachaca.

Dea

I visited Rio when in the Navy. It does look as good as the picture but I never really felt safe there and only went out on organised trips or to the Texas Bar across the road from the ship.

Our Company does some work for the European Space Agency in French Guiana which is just to the North of Brazil. The people that I know who've been there say the biggest problem (apart from mozzies and poisonous critters) is from Brazillians crossing the border and preying on the locals. All workers are offered guns for protection on arrival. Dea, don't get me wrong. I'm not getting at all Brazillians and can understand the problems that drives some to do these things. The Brazillians I've met were always hospitable.