Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
sghamer

What do you do in the shower??

I had to comment here, because of brians question about washing your stump. I dont have a shower leg, have a stool and shower head that can be hand held, works great...BUT sometimes like today, when we just got home from camping and my stump felt grimy inside my socket, I just stand at my bathroom sink and wash it under the hand facuet......not unlike shaving your legs at the sink, for the girls in the group.  The funniest thing to me is that whenever I am standing at the sink without my leg on I prop my stump up on the counter next to the sink. I suppose it helps that I am fairly tall for a woman, (5'10") and it is the perfect resting place, height wise. So when I then wash my liner out I just throw my stump up on the counter and have MUCH better balance while my hands are wet. 

Hope this helps someone.... ;)

Judy

LBK

Utah

Thanks Judy! :)

Hi everyone :lol:

Having just returned from my holidays in the South of France, by the way was absolutely brilliant B)

When booking the hotel I did ask for a bath but when we arrived they kindly upgraded our room to a suite FOC.

Being a below knee amputee

The only thing was the bathroom had no bath only a shower as you can imagine I was very nervous about using one, as I once fell in a shower. But fortunately their was a stool in the bathroom, so when showering I put the stool inside, with another chair outside the shower, and took my time getting in and out. I managed fine but I must admit I find a bath more managable.

My limb centre have supplied me in the past with a water proof sleeve that I could put over my artificial leg, so I could stand but I think it still could be quite dangerous.

Happy showering everyone ;)

LARRY

Hi All:

Again. as a rarity it seems, I shower on my butt. At own country home I built an outdoor shower as I get sooooooo dirty during the day. Again, there I shower via butt. The only thing I worry about is catching athelete's butt heh heh.

ED

Crutches for me, always have a pair in the car. Once you have gained confidence on them hop where you like, shower mats at home but I suppose you could take a small mat on holiday as well

Paul :D

Tomorrow belongs to me!

I havent read this post for a long time but think maybe I can offer some other suggestions. I have found that when I travel (about five times since my amp.) I just deal with a tub. I am a bk and so I just know I will have to bring a big cup with me to the bath. I run the water and use the cup to dump water on my head/wash my hair, while the water fills the tub. Then I bathe. It is always trickier and takes twice as long in a different bathroom because I am very nervous about falling, so I go slowly when getting out. I never feel as clean after bathing this way as I do in my shower at home (with shower chair).

We just spent two weeks in NH at my mother in laws house...TINY bathroom, old facuets with low water pressure....a REAL trick to stay clean and feel clean. I had to really be diligent about washing my liner/stump so I didnt get skin break downs while on vacation. I cant tell you how GREAT it felt to have a shower in MY shower the first day I got home! :angry:

Just a few suggestions...

judy

lbk

utah

Well apart from doing the obvious thing in the shower... Washing

i used to use a shower chair for showering in my parents en-suite, but that now just requires effort. I used to have to put my legs on from my bed to the shower, then off for the shower, then legs back on to go back to my room, then usually off again to get dressed.

Now i just decided to crawl to the bathroom get on the toilet and then just slide accross from the toilet to the bath (they are next to each other) and get in the shower that way. the only thing is that my dad needs 2 be able 2 put the shioer head down so i can reach it.

Take Care

Andy:)

Wow Andy! That sounds like a hell of a lot more effort than just putting your legs on! Do you then crawl across the floors without your legs AFTER your shower?

I resolve this problem by wearing my old PTB's (my first pair of legs which are very easy to take on and off) to the shower, while taking my newer legs in with me. I have a trolley that was given by my Occupational Therapist that I keep all my toiletries on, along with the clothes that I have decided to wear after my shower. I then take those legs off, shower, dry off, then get dressed and wear my newer (pinlock) legs.

Now what I do works for me. But I like this topic because we can all see how others in similar situations deal with the same dilemnas.

It seems though that what we each do works for us individually.

The bathroom is closer then the ensuite and i usually go 2 the toilet in the mornoign ne way so i just slide accross its only like a 6 inch gap. so its pretty simple.

I am wondering about uni next year though.... I have a few friends who are in uni now and ive been to their digs (rooms/ halls) and some are ok with teh shower n stuff but otehr well. i dont suppose they are great, perhaps manageable but not great..

I suppose that will come with the applications and the disabled facilities that they offer.

keep smilin

Andy

:P

I usually just took a plastic stool in with me, although after a while I just used to ballance, as long as there was a non slip mat or something there. Luckilly when I bought my flat an old lady had lived here before and had fitted a nice fold down shower chair which I use (only when I've finished showering and am putting my leg on to get out though)

Mike

RBK

Hi Everyone: Personally I just stand on one leg. I have a hand held shower that I use. My good leg is extremely strong ;) as you can imagine. But also I'm too bloody :rolleyes: stuborn to give in to a seat yet. :lol:

Wow this wa a great topic,

I have tried everything sugggested except for a shower leg,but the one that blows my mind is crutching IN THE SHOWER that sound dangereous. I have used muy crtuthces to transfer into a standing shower)(hate those.

Although I have used my old crtutches to get into and out of the OCean ,just crutch in until you can swim and ask somebody to give them to you when you are done!

I also thought I was in heaven once when I bought a house with a built in tiled seat. Until it almost killed me, literally. I washed my hair and the soap got undr my butt and I slid so fast off the seat I will leave thre rest ot the collective imagination

I have hear two saying that I feel are appropriate here, a llitle once of prevention can lead to a pound of good. ALSo, that most FATAL accidents that occurr in the home happen in the BATHROOM. A safety bar may remind you that you are handicapped in some way, but it could save you a world of hurt, and or a HIP a KNEE (MINE sucks after 23 years of crutching. Lately I have had to really curtail many activities and try to diet because my mobility is my life.

Back to the subject,

I have always found it easier to just sit on a nonn slip pad in the tub and shower. Those hand held showers worry me because I need my hands free for safety

To quote a wodnerful Orhtopedic surgeon who is now passed away, you only have one good knee for the rest of your life and that may be a long time. He absolutely forbid me to ski, he thought it was nutz(or not). Whether you want to admit it or not, many of us only have one good knee and a good bathroon fall is Noo fun.

Safety makes the party last longer!!

Great topic

Unique no more

I washed my hair and the soap got undr my butt and I slid so fast off the seat I will leave thre rest ot the collective imagination

You must have long hair :D :D :D

OH Muz!!!!! :lol:

LMAO :P

You crack me up.

You have given me visions I don't want!!!!!

Cat

Shay

Hi I am lesley an 18 yr ol amp and I had a bathroom built for me. I get into the bathroom, sit on the toilet, and then hop on rails and sit on another chair and then theres some other bars and then I get in the shower and I sit down again

Lesley

Again I am just wondering how elbow amps or anyone loosing an arm deals with thier situations?

Lesley