Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
mmarie

Katrina

Hey all,

We are battening down the hatches here in anticipation of Hurricane Katrina. It's a category 5 storm predicted to make landfall somewhere around the New Orleans area. I am 90 miles from there and this storm is HUGE. This would put us in what is called the northeast quadrant, which is the worse place you can be. The storm surge (water) is expected to be 25-30 feet. We are staying in our home and praying for the best. Please keep all in Katrina's path in your thoughts and prayers. It's expected to be a very dangerous storm. I will probably lose power later on today or tonight and who knows when it will be restored. Looking for several days ahead of extreme heat, no AC, no cable, no computer...yikes! But hopefully we will have suffered no major damage.

Will let y'all know how we fared when I can. If this thing doesn't hurry up and make the northwest turn that's predicted I'm gonna be a lot more concerned.

Okay, gotta go fill the bathtub with water! I'm gonng try to check in again after while.

Marei

keep safe our thoughts will be with you. Ps taking a bath now seems fairly mundane! only joking been there myself nothing worse than running out of water.

Rachel

Hi Marcia

My prayers are with you and all that are in the way of that nasty storm.

Keep safe, and let us know how it is going.

Lesley

Hi Marcia,

I've been thinking about you since watching the news last night. I was going to send you a PM to see if you were in Katrina's path, as I didn't know what part of Mississippi you lived! Thank you for informing us, you (and everyone else who may be affected) are definitely in my prayers. Take care and we'll be waiting to hear back from you...

Blessings,

Cheri

Marcia,

How frightening for you. :(

I hope this one doesn't come anywhere near you. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

All the best. :)

Marcia,

You are in my thoughts and prayers. When you're able let us know how you are.

:rolleyes:

Hi Marcia.

My cousin live's in Vicksburg is that far from you.I live in the UK.So I will have to phone her and see if she is OK.

Regards Pat.

Hi, Marcia

I really hope that Katrina doesn't cause you any major headaches... she's a nasty storm! Remember that AFTER the storm can be dangerous, too. In fact, that's when most people get hurt. Look out for damaged trees and downed electrical wires. Those were the only storm related fatalities we had here last year.... people ran out right away to survey damage, etc., and ran across electrical wires or had trees fall on them. :( My thoughts and prayers with be with you and your family.

Karen

AKA

Orlando, Florida

Hi Marcia

Just been watching Fox news, which has been tracking "Katrina", it looks scarey.

Take care of yourself, will be thinking of you.

Ann

Hi Marcia, I've been following this strom on Fox News now for awhile and I hope you have evacuated from where you are, if not, PLEASE find a place and stay safe. It really looks monsterous and the latest I heard was, it will perhaps be making land fall as early as 3-5 am. Take care my friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you and all the people in path of this beast.

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. Landfall is predicted sometime early tomorrow so I'm going to try to get a little sleep while I can. It's like sitting around and waiting for a bomb to drop. We are as prepared as we can be.

Pat, Vicksburg is about 150 miles north of where I am. They will probably get some severe weather after the storm comes ashore it will continue on north/northeast but once it hits land the intensity will diminsh.

Will be in touch soon.

Thinking of you too ........... we get Fox news over here too ....... I will go and get an update.

Debbie

Good luck to you and your family.

Keep safe.

Love from,

Hi Marcia......I hope everyone is ok......hope to see you back here soon

Was watching the news earlier, and am shocked at how powerful this storm was.

Marcia, I pray that you and your loved ones are safe and well.

The devestation is horrible. Last night I was watching the news and saw how many people that stayed were actually having to be rescued from their roof tops and even some from the attics. I can't imagine going through such a storm in fact if I am ever faced with this kind of situation I'll be heading for high ground. I'm keeping all these people in these areas in my thoughts and prayers (my brother is in Gulfport, MS and I'm worried about him as well) After watching the news last night it doesn't look like we'll be hearing from Marcia any time soon they were saying it could take up to 45 days to get power to the hard hit areas. Sigh!

Hi

How bad is it Vicksburg(Miss)? cant get through to my cousin.I wondered if the lines are down or no power.If you know please let me know.I am in the UK.

Regards Pat.

Pat,

I just looked up the city that your cousin lives in and it's 4 hrs 15 minutes north of Gulfport so even though they didn't get the brunt of the storm I'm sure they are without power as it's effected millions in that region. I'll keep your cousin and family in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know when you hear from them.

I just wanted to let you know that I've been searching the message boards for Katrina survivors and have found a site that has listed Katrina survivors plus the missing and unknowns. I found Marcia's name on one of the boards it says alive her and her husband (I pray this is our Marcia) I gave a sigh of relief to see this. I've also had word (a neighbor of my brothers) called my brother in SC (he posted a missing brother info) and this lady called to let them know that where they live had very little damage so at this point we are just waiting to hear his voice to let us know all is ok with them. Here is a link to the Katrina Survivor list if anyone needs to list missing family members/friends or wants to search the names. There are massive amounts but it looks to be alphabetically listed.

http://wx.gulfcoastnews.com/katrina/status.aspx

Thanks Brenda. I do hope Marcia and your brother, Brenda are all ok.

I have been watching the news reports and can't believe all that is happening there, so much devastation. Feel so sorry for everyone involved. My son, home now, was visiting there only a few weeks ago, brings it home to you, not only how powerful mother nature is, but how small the world is.

Ann