Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
eddie103

:::Actually Working:::

Hi All:

I would ask the following...............is there anybody now doing a full time job?

Please comment on what, how long it took you to get back, etc.

Also part time people etc...................or

Are you "able" to actually "work".

Myself, I do a couple of mornings a week but that is all I can handle IF I want to be able to "live" the other facets of my life.

ED

Ed

I was working up until the amputation, which was in mid April of this year. I am due to go back on the 1st of September. I am really worried as I have a new cast and am not as mobile as I was three weeks ago.

I will let you know how I get on. Initially I think I will be a bit tired, but long term I dunno if I will cope. Hey other people manage it so I must just grit my teeth and bear it, something to do with not enough money to feed my kids if I dont.

A bit scared at the moment

Rachel

Hi Ed,

I work full time in a factory, I make truck seats for General Motors. There are good days and bad, standing around on cement floors gets to you after awhile, i find if I am on a job where I can move around it is better, but there are days when I get stuck in one place. 16 hour shifts can take a toll on you as well.

I have been an amp for alomost 9 years, I started working about 6 to 8 months after my op. I started out slowly, with sit down office jobs. Then moved my way to harder more physical jobs.

The place where I work has just started doing 12 hour day shifts with callouts. Before this I was working a 3 shift system.

Hello Ed

Although am not doing paid work at the moment, did work full time for many years and know others who do so, so it is possible, (if you have comfy limbs !)however do appreciate things are a bit more tricky if you are bilateral a/k.

What you say, about "living the other facets of your life" is one of the reasons as to why I am not in paid work at the moment, however, that is because the legs at the moment are $$$$ and make me unreliable, not because I am an amputee, if you get me. However, just going back in a voluntary capacity was a bit of a shock to the system, as I had been out of it for a while, but am getting used to it now.

Most of my work was secretarial, altho. had a couple of stints in supermarkets.

Currently though, am doing some voluntary work am also studying for a degree, with that and the family don't seem to have enough hours in the day to do anything else.

Ann

I am a solicitor (or will be next week when I finally qualify after too long training!) and I started back to work full time at the end of February. My amputation was on 30th December 2004. I went back 2 weeks after I got out of hospital and well before I got my leg, and to be honest am really glad that I did because it really helped me get back to normal quickly.

Work I think realised that I wouldn't be able to do too much too soon and so really took it easy on me at the beginning, which could get slightly frustrating (too much time to sit and think), but was probably all I could cope with at first as the couple of times that I did get given something a bit taxing to do it did get on top of me.

I am now sitting in the department that I am going to qualify into though, and everybody has completely forgotten all about what happened to me and are treating me as per normal which is exactly what I feel ready for now. I think that a large part of the reason for that was that I did go back so quickly, as they have all had time to adjust to the whole thing.

They are also still being brilliant at letting me go off to appointments etc whenever I need to, and they pay for taxis for me to get to work everyday, which living in London is a godsend as the last thing I want to be doing at the moment is getting the tube to work in rush hour everyday on a prosthetic leg that I can't even use without a walking stick yet!

Having said all of that though I am still only 28, I only had one leg amputated, and that was below the knee, and to be quite honest I think I would be bored silly being at home all day everyday, and would have been bored silly being at home all day everyday whilst I was recovering, so lots of it has been me. They have told me since I came back that they weren't even expecting me to go back until June or July, so maybe I am insane for not taking all that free holiday!

My first job was delivering newspapers on my bicycle. After I left school I worked in a factory making security doors till I scored a job in a supermarket where I worked for 22 years, 17 of those on night shift. Now I'm a Remedial Masseur with my own buisness and work 24 hours 7 days a week :unsure:

I woorrked maany years agao in a book store partt time but was alwaays an indepeepndant artist becuase i was a phototgrapher and a drawing gurl . Today i stilling doing the art things but now i worrking for my dad cmapany as his photoigrapher and phot / video ediditer gurl for his companay . Sheeesh , he is a slav e driving person ...... i meaniing , slushy gurl is suppossed to being not ovver workked an dhe is making work like crazy . No wonder hhe is a grizzzly bear .

OK , really , my dad is not that bad but i am just not used to having to workking under sosmeone else rules and being turneddedd into a trained seal likke most just abaout everyone else . Somettimes i amm very bussy but i alaso havvign all the slushy gurl time i neding for the i porotant thiings like MY STUFFS , shoppiing , ........ :P :P :P

My boss is a slave driver too :lol:

One day I'm give him SUCH a scratch :unsure:

:o ........................LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi al,

I had my op in Jan 2004, got back to work the following Sept, so it is just coming up to a year.

I am a sales assist in a stationary shop (no Muz or Marcus, we don't stand still all day)

I work 30 hrs a week Mon-Fri. It was a bit difficult at first, didn't realise how tired i would be. I find my limb gets achey and tired by the end of the day but i can handle it. The only thing i don't do is climb the step ladders but to tell the truth i always avoided doing that before my op. The company got me a chair to use if i felt the need to but i find that as soon as i sit down the shop gets busy so i tend not to sit much. Keeping mobile is better than standing behind the counter, helps keep my circulation going.

As we all know "a womans work is never done" so as soon as i get home from work i become the loyal housewife and mother. My hubby works very long hours, he leaves for work at 5am every day and i never know what time he will be home from work, could be anything from 6pm to 10pm so i don't expect him to help too much with housework, he is not very domesticated anyway, infact he is not domesticated at all, he usually makes more mess than it is worth(i know this is a ploy so that i won't ask him to do things)

Both hubby and i are off at weekends so much is left till then

I am a sales assist in a stationary shop (no Muz or Marcus, we don't stand still all day)

I know that. It's the shop that doesn't move :lol: ;) :lol:

I work with the unemployed, those with special needs and learning difficulties and also young offenders. I love my work and wouldn't want to do anything else. :D

After my accident, I did wonder if I would be going back to work, and that became one of my goals, and I did return in a short space of time.

When I get a student that has no self esteem, or a lack of motivation, I use myself, and some of the guys here, as examples - usually makes people take a second look at themselves and their lives! When I have a hitch, and some how muddle through it, then it helps the students that I work with.

Sue :rolleyes:

Ed-I'm a Sales Account Manager & work full time. In addition setting up and running my Organisation for Amputees is also full time.

I went back to my old job 10 months after my accident.

Mel

Hi Ed

I started working about 4 or 5 months after my accident - software analyst for a computer company. Went without my leg as I had to be fairly active and my prosthesis was terrible :P

Started singing again part-time also about 4 months after my accident. Left my office job and went pro with my music about a year later. Worked as a musician for a good few years, and gradually weaned myself from the stage (almost completely now) to being a booking agent.

Run my entertainment agency from home full time now. Still need to be fairly active with site inspections, co-ordinating at events, etc. But now I always wear my leg when I am out of the house.

Ally

:)

hi ed,

i had my accident in october . :( had my first leg in december :huh: and was back at work full time in early january. :) (i bit early maybe but i had to do something).

i work shifts , day and night (12 hour) at the local power station. take care

mick

I work in sales. I used to work full time but now have had to cut back to part time due to after-effects (my knee) from my OP in May :( .

Just read your mail - got back to work after 3 months, :o part time - (2years ago) now work full shifts, which are 2 days of 10 hours and 2 nights of 14 hours, job is sitting mostly, and exercising the 'leg' when too much sitting. ;) Grateful that my job as an emergency telephonist is sitting, and also that my employers are quite good :huh: with the hospital appointments and asking about me needs..

Went back to work couple of weeks out of hospital. I work in an office only a couple of blocks from home. Did as much as I could for as many hours a day as I could. After about six months, except for Doctors and leg fixes, I have been working 50-60 Hrs a week.

--Bill, RBK

Yet another hurdle to jump. My office closed and I will be starting fresh. I'd love to be able to only do volunteer work but I have to get back to paying work. I have no idea what I want to do but I do not want to go back to what I was doing. I can always be a stripper! Just have to be careful to remove the clothes and leave on the leg.

Ed, I had my op last October and went back to work in April. I went back full time but I am allowed to attend hydrotherapy and physio each week. I still get very tired and have decided to do a four day week, which should be happening shortly. I am not getting along too well with the seal in liner as it is causing a lot of sores and blisters on my stump, I went for a casting yesterday for a new leg, hopefully this will resolve the problems I have had for the last few months.

I had my legs off in March 2003 and was back to work in Sep 2003, I work as an Area Manager in the flooring industry covering the South Coast of England.

Best wishes

Mike. :unsure:

Well done Mike sounds like you have done really well.

Gee that must be a lot of flooring to cover that much coast. :unsure:

i have always worked with my hubby in the restauration.but in france they will not let me go back to that for safety reasons beforethat i was a full time mum to4 kidsand have no qualifcations so now i am stuck

I was a school counselor before the surgery and continue to do that now. I was gone for about 2 months after my surgery. I am looking for a second job right now because unfortunately, people in education do not make much money!

caroln