Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
eddie103

:::Actually Working:::

Hi Ed

I work full time as a local government Access Officer I also have my own consultancy http://www.accessunlimited.org/ . I give disability equality training for a local charity. I was a roofer when I lost my leg & nearly my life to Nectrotising Faciitis in 2000, I went to college in spring 2001 gained two diploma's in IT. Then went to Polytechnic studying Access for disabled people, graduated in Spring 2002. Started work in July 2002, hope I'm doing the right thing?

Some day's though I wish I could think about something else, disability issue's are hard work, and people in the UK don't really care.

Perhaps I'll open a cafe or run a book stall, I cannot see me doing this forever

PJ :)

disability issue's are hard work, and people in the UK don't really care.

You know that's SO not true. I was just thinking tonight, my job is so shallow...so meaningless. It's a gift to be able to do something that counts.

I applaud you.

Ally

I totally agree with you Ally (apart from your job being shallow ;))! I think Paul was referring to a certain reluctance, that sometimes appears to be endemic, in the UK. I received this article this morning & I think it sums things up fairly well.

The article was from the online Disability Now, which is well worth subscribing to.

Lizzie

Thanks Liz, Ally; the disability now article is very factual which is good, you may face discrimination every day but proving it, now thats another matter!

PJ :D

I work full-time in IT. Fortunately I can work at home a bit at the moment (since my team are literally scattered around the globe, we tend to have conference calls at odd hours). I've worked as a software engineer, architect and consultant, and have also managed small teams. These days I'm working as a Programme Manager (which is a great title because it really doesn't give much away).

Since I have only three "normal" fingers (but both thumbs), I was told to choose a job that didn't rely on typing ability (I'm good at ignoring advice :) ). I touch-type, fairly quickly (never actually timed it) - I gradually realised I'd transitioned from hunt'n'peck to touch-typing.

My leg doesn't impact my job (I'm RBK, congenital). Since I didn't have an amputation, there's no "before" and "after" to compare. I would say, though, that it is physically easier to have an office job than to stay at home and look after kids + house. My husband works 4 days a week (more or less), and we "out-source" house cleaning. I did stay home and work part-time for a while when the boys were very young (they are now 9 and 6).

I think we all vary in terms of the amount of day to day pain we experience, and our tolerance for wearing a prosthesis. My leg (and hands) don't really cause pain, unless I overdo it, so there's not much preventing me from working. Many of you have a much harder time of it than I do (cancer, diabetes...), and I'm only BK (so walking is not so exhausting).

-kam

Boy, I really take off to everyone who was able to hop back on the saddle and work again! B)

I know that I can do anything I put my mind to. :) But when you are a hair sylist, like myself, it's hard to find a job that you don't need your fingers or need to stand for a great lengh of time. It's been 2 years since my illness with TSS and I seem unable to find a job that I can do with my disablilites. :(

Patti

Yet another hurdle to jump. My office closed and I will be starting fresh. I'd love to be able to only do volunteer work but I have to get back to paying work. I have no idea what I want to do but I do not want to go back to what I was doing.

Have you thought of putting in an application at IHOP?

Did you take all this time to think that one up, marcus? Look how old that post is. I don't have time for a job and witty repartee with you so the job will have to wait.