Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Afet

Elephant Amputee gets Prosthetic Foot

A very short story that I came across today, which made me smile. :D

After being responsible for creating such terrible weapons, it's nice to know that we human beings can also be quite humane and sympathetic when we see the plight of others:

Elephant amputee gets prosthetic foot

Items compiled from Tribune news services

Published August 29, 2005

LAMPANG, THAILAND -- A Thai elephant that attracted worldwide attention when its foot was amputated after it stepped on a land mine has been fitted with a temporary prosthesis, a wildlife conservation worker said Sunday.

The 44-year-old female elephant, Motola, is expected to wear the lightweight, canvas shoelike device for five to eight months until her leg is strong enough to carry a heavier, permanent one, said Soraida Salwala, founder of the Friends of the Asian Elephant hospital in northern Thailand.

Taken from this this page. No pics, unfortunately. :unsure:

Ahh...what a great story! :)

A few years ago I heard of a hedgehog being fitted with a prosthetic leg. Come to think of it, I think it came from Muz's neck-of-the-woods - honest! :D

Hmm must have got out of the clay before the locals baked him :)

(The hedgehog that is, NOT the elephant :D)

I saw it in a newspaper cutting Muz & there wasn't any clay to be seen...just a tiny prosthesis on one of his/her back legs.

Afet,

Thanks for sharing. There has been many different animals fit with prosthetics over the years I've read about a dog, a kangeroo to name a few. It's nice to see these animals get back on their feet like us humans.

OK, here's a pic of the elephant wearing its prosthesis, courtesy of Sanicki (Linda) who sent it to me.

Thanks Linda! :D B)

Aw, the elephant looks quite mobile! Remember the story of the bird with the Barbie leg? Such amazing ingenuity out there! Good story Afet! Thanks Linda for finding the pic ;)

Motola seems to be coping pretty well, doesn't she? But, what a beast of a suspension belt - if you'll excuse the pun! :)

Lizzie