Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Mandy

Support Groups in the UK

Just wondering whether anyone on these boards belongs to a support group in the UK?

Mandy

Hi Mandy,

funny you should ask that. I did a lot of research before and after my amp. Included was Support Groups. I 'searched' and couldn't find any here in the UK.

Which surprised me, because of most of the 'disabled' sections of our society; I would have thought there would be many. Since, there is so much to learn about being an Amp. Info, that 'oldies' could share to help, not only the 'Newbie' Amps, also their families and friends.

Still this site is helping me and I've no doubt others. So all is not lost :)

Best as ever

Steve

I don't know of any in my area of Scotland either :( Maybe we should consider starting something to help others? Somewhere for amputees, their partners, carers,family and friends can get advice and support too. Anyone think a support website might help to start with?

Liz

Anyone think a support website might help to start with?

Hi Liz,

Please use this amputee forum as your support group for now. That is what it is here for. I can tell you from my own experience that there is nothing like having real live people that you can see and be in the same room with, so I encourage you to start a support group in your area.

Regards,

Liz,

I agree with Johnny there is nothing like meeting other amputees and seeing first hand how they cope with life as an amputee. We might not have a lot of participation sometimes but I think this site is pretty close to being a support group. :P

Brenda

Finding information on support groups is proving tricky. I have found out there is a support group run at the Limb Center in Queen Mary's Hospital in Roehampton which is sort of in my area. I think its run by the Limbless Association.

I also found an organisation you can contact if you are living in Scotland (there you go Liz :D ).

Murray Foundation

Will let you know if I dig up any further details.

Mandy

The Murray Foundation has alot of support groups in Scotland, they can be found on their web page. I am attending one group on the 29th September in Aberdeen.

If any amps in the UK have not yet joined the Limbless Association I would recommend you do. I've just got my introduction pack in the post and its jam-packed (excuse the pun!) with information and contact details which are not on their website. They also have a helpline you can call for advice.

Included is a members' handbook which has lots of information, like what questions to ask your consultant prosthetist and what to expect after the operation. I'll add the suggested list of questions to these boards as soon as I can as I think they will help with fitting consultations.

There is also a quarterly magasine which contains information on talks with government, support group activity and other organised events. It only costs £17 per year (£15 if you pay by direct debit) so is well worth it I think.

Mandy

I know of three support groups for children in the UK: Reach is for children with upper limb deficiency/amputation and has a site at http://www.reach.org.uk They have regional branches so that you can meet with people in your own area but also a chat board for members, and national events.

Steps is for children with lower limb abnormalities and has a site at http://www.steps-charity.org.uk

Peggy and Friends is the newest, and I don't know much about them but they are at http://www.peggyandfriends.org

Both these groups are child focussed but may have information that could be useful to adult amputees.

The Limbless Association is an excellent organisation too. Though I'm not sure whether they have regional branches. It might be worth enquiring at your Limb Centre as I think some do have user groups who meet socially.

Hope this helps.

Reach

Steps

Peggy and Friends

Anybody know of any support groups in Kent UK? Can't seem to find anything here at all. Life is difficult enough for us, not now being able to drive I am very restricted, but it would be nice to meet other amps to talk to now and again.

Hi there

I have only just joined this website and it is good to know that there is an avenue of communication open to amputees. I have never chatted properly to other amputees other than fleeting convsersations at my Limb Centre appointments and I have been below RK amp since birth 30 years ago! I have also decided to join the Limbless Association, not only to meet others in the same situation but to hopefully start some voluntary work for them. I am based in Doncaster, South Yorkshire, UK and would be obliged if anybody from around this area knows of any other support groups.

Best Regards

Cookie

Welcome to the board cookie. Hope to see more of you. You came to the right place., so enjoy.

HI to one and all,

I hope you all enjoyed the Easter brake, I'm a bit connfused and maby a little annoyed when I had my leg off last year and also this year at the same Hospital I've just found out that they have a SUPPORT METTING every third week in the month so I shall see what's it like and if anybody lives in the Milands it's the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital.

You would have thought they would let you know having your leg's off in the same place I don't know can't seem to get the (Patient's) and that's a joke ok you guy's so just look under your noses and "waller" it's there if I can help anybody out there please ask it can get very frustrating at times, Keith :rolleyes:

if you want a user and or support group in the uk .... i know of approximately 50 or so across the country!!!

let me know the area and i will email you with the contact details.

i hope this helps.

S :)

For any UK bikers out there, there is NABD, the National Association of Bikers with Disabilities (www.nabd.net) they've very good and offer help, advice and grants to bikers mainly, but the stories on the website are applicable to any disabled person. Go have a look!