Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Ally

A disabled-friendly house

JUST BOUGHT A NEW HOME AND FIRST THING I DID WAS MAKE ALL DOORS 36" WIDE... BUILT A RAMP TO GET IN AND OUT OE HOUSE ... NOW I CAN DO ANYTHING AND EVERY THING BY MYSELF... :) :)

I'd like to be rich and have someone carry me :D :D

JUST BOUGHT A NEW HOME AND FIRST THING I DID WAS MAKE ALL DOORS 36" WIDE... BUILT A RAMP TO GET IN AND OUT OE HOUSE ... NOW I CAN DO ANYTHING AND EVERY THING BY MYSELF... :)  :)

Good for you, Nann! You show 'em!!! :D B)

One thing I forgot to mention that may be an advantage for some...............

In the kitchen, we had the pantry installed as a base cabinet (kind of). This allows a "slepping man" or a wheelchair user, easy access to stuff normally held in a pantry.

Above that, we had installed the area for a micro wave / convection oven, so that it is a little lower than what is usual. Just underneath that there is installed a slide out shelf to put hot stuff on when you first get it out of the micro. I don't use this but it would be advisable for a chair user.

ED

Hi All..............

I thought I would bring this thread up to the front as it was buried in the bowels of the website. As well, I think it all is very relevant to those new members of the forum.

However, time has passed since originating this idea. I have evolved as an amp and, without implying a brag, I have matured into what I call a "seasoned" amp. I just wanted to say that as a seasoned amp, I find that I no longer NEED any of these "recommendations" etc,. I have found my own ways of living on my own terms. I expect that this is the way of others as they get a bit on in their new life.

I have yet to find a house that I cannot function in. I have travelled across half of Canada and stayed in all sorts of hotels and motels and managed all tubs and bathrooms etc. I fly, I drive long distances.....................I am ok!!!!

As such, I would now say to those who are just starting out.........................slow down, take your time before you sell that home. Give yourself time before making those major decisions. Sure there are some immediate needs but a lot of the major stuff being recommended to you now, more than likely, will not be necessary in the near future or long run.

ED

Good deal Ed on bringing this back to the surface.

I would just like to add that if you do have a ramp that is subject to the weather, you may want to add some type of non-skid surface to it. When ramps, especially wooden ones, get wet, frosty, snow or ice covered, it can be quite a ride when going down. Slip-sliding away! You have no control. Coming back up can be a feat also.

I've crashed into my truck several times, so I speak from experience! But, if you are the dare devil type, it can be quite a rush!!