Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
burket225

after surgery

hi guys!! I was wondering if I will still have to use my wheelchair after my surgery(bka this fall), and will I be able to drive again, I live in america and it's my right foot that's coming off(crushed right ankle), I just have so many questions, I'm starting to freak out alittle. Thanks, mari. p.s. my eamil address is; burket1956@comcast.net.

Although most of us here hate the idea of using wheelchairs, they are a necessity sometimes like just after your amputation. I'd stick with it until you get your first limb and only use crutches or a walker when you have no alternative. It's a much safer way of getting around and you don't want to be falling on a fresh stump (although most of us have ... at least once!!).

As for driving there's know reason why you shouldn't, unless you're on some strong meds. You might need or want to get your car adapted but it's not essential. Have a good read through the postings on this site and you'll find we drive an assortment of vehicles. Some have even got back into motorbikes again.

I just have so many questions, I'm starting to freak out alittle.

Then you have definitely come to the right place. Ask away. You will be bombarded with answers that will stop you from becoming a nutter. Well, a freaked out nutter anyway. ;)

Muz is right. Keep your wheelchair for a while. You will want to use it for a bit after the op. Then you can chuck it.

Drive schmive......pfffft - easy peasy. B) You will get the hang of it in NO time. No problem.

This is a great forum. Full of caring clever individuals (and nutters heehehehe) who will help you get through this time. And then you'll love us so much, you'll stay!

Ok then, get firing with those questions....

Kind regards

Ally

:)

Hi Mari, wheelchairs are great especially in the early stages and more so if you get a little tired or feel unsteady.

I'm a RAK had my car adapted and drive with my left foot-no probs at all.

Mel.

Hi Mari, of course every individual is different, what works for some, may not others. If you feel more comfortable having your wheelchair handy, then by all means, do so. I'm a lbk and I was asked, if I wanted a wheelchair when I came home and I said, nope, that I didn't figure I'd need it, b/c I wanted to get walking asap. I did however, at first use a walker and crutches, then when I got my leg I used a cane and b/c of different issues I continue to have, I still have to. I'm sure you'll be up and walking and won't need that chair for long anyways!!! :D

I was out driving before I even got my new leg, b/c I just couldn't sit still. But of course it was my left foot gone, not my right, which made it easier I think. However, in your case, I've heard of many that have driven with there left foot and have had no problems, which I'm sure, in time, you'll be doing the same, with no problems. Everything takes time and you'll get there, just like we all have, only please try to be patience and take one day at a time, so that you don't start to feel to overwhelmed, k? Ask away and we'll do our best to keep you from freakin out....... I hope!!!! :rolleyes: :D

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

post-17-1127006521.gif

Hi Mari

Yes agree with what others are saying, keep the wheelchair for as long as you want then get rid of it when you feel you don't use it any more, think so much depends on the individual, age, layout of housing, lifestyle etc. etc.

Ann

Hi Mari, after my op last October, I came home from hospital in my wheelchair, stayed in it for about a month, then only used crutches (I had used them on and off for many years, so was very confident using them). I had my car adapted to a left foot accelerator in January, a week before I got my new limb, it is very easy to drive this way, I feel I have never driven any other way now.

The wheelchair is parked in the garage, for emergencies, lol. We almowst had a fuel crisis here last week, so you never know when it might come in handy. :P

Mari, I think the others have said it all. One day at a time. Horses for courses, wheelchairs are agood starting point :)

PJ