Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Afet

Messages for Martine Wright

This is a thread dedicated solely to messages for Martine Wright, who survived the 7/7 London bombings.

Martine was on the Aldgate tube a few feet away from the suicide bomber and sustained horrific injuries, including the loss of both her legs from above the knee.

Her story is posted here on this forum.

I will be visiting her at St. Mary's Hospital soon, and Ally suggested that I should print out all the messages that YOU post, and take them to her for her to read so she can really feel our support and well wishes. :)

Give her my best wishes Afet. I am sure that by meeting you she will get inspiration to "keep going" and realization that things will eventually be perhaps different , but ok. I am sure you will let her know about this forum.

Was watching the BBC prog. early this morning and saw a guy (Gary, I think it was) who lost a leg b/k in the bombings, apparently they had been following his progress. Today he was collecting his first leg from Roehampton, he seems to be doing ok and is now out of hospital.

Ann

Afet,

Sorry just read the other thread regarding Martine, just wanted to add this.

Tell Martine, she is in the best place possible to get her walking again. I thought the facilities at Roehampton were excellent, a good team of people and a friendly atomosphere.

I also started walking on the "rocker" type legs, they were very good to get started on. I am sure she realizes, that these are just to get her started, and the limbs will improve. I used to use the "rockers" with crutches, but went back to school on these, they actually made me pretty mobile, whilst my stumps were recovering from skin grafting.

There is a chap I know, who is a bilateral a/k, who lives in the Roehampton area and gets his limbs there, she may have already met him, he is doing really well, I think wearing C legs, I'll send him an email.

Ann

Martine, if you get to read this, good luck with your rehab. I can't begin to say how angry I am about this or how sorry I feel for you so I won't try (besides, you've probably heard a lot of that in the past few months).

If you feel like it and get the time, have a look at this forum. I can assure you we are all 100% weirdos so you won't have to waste time worrying if we are or not. Seriously though there is a lot of information here and a lot of good people who have gone through some crap times and may know a little of what you're feeling right now.

Hi Martine,

I read your story, thanks to Afet sharing it. I am so sorry for what has happened. It's just so wrong. You have some obstacles to overcome & I have no doubt you'll triumph. I'm sure, in time, we'll be chatting on this forum. Until then, take special care & remember we're here for you.

Love,

Linda

Martine, I am so sorry for what happened to you. I wish you well in your recovery. You have a lot of people praying for you all over the world.

Regards from Down Under,

Cat

Siyabonga Martine

All the people at the Heather Mills McCartney forum have you in our prayers at this time. I only wish we could all come and visit you so you'd know how many people are rooting for you and wishing you well.

When you get home and settled, come and say a cyber-hello to us. If any bunch of people can get your through this tough time, it's the folk here.

Afet is a blessing, I'm so glad she's coming to see you.

Kindest regards,

Ally

Hi Martine,

What can I say except to send lots of love and possitive thoughts toyou, your heart could never contain the love sent to you from the people here, it just may help you through. Remember strangers are only people you have never met, we look forward to meeting you when and if you are ready.

Lynne x

A message to Martine:

I have tried other ways to get a word to you. As a fellow bilateral aka, I wish you well.

Myself, I am the result of another idiot living on this planet so you are not alone. Although I am male, rest assured there is not much difference between the two of us.

I am including some information on my own case which, I believe, will give you some hope for your future. Please take my advice and visit the HMM forum. It is the only place I have found that a person can get real, true life answers to all that you are and will be facing. Take care and chin up.

ED from Canada

===============================================================

Date of My Incident: 3 Jan 2003

Stats:

Married / father of twin daughters / semi retired / then 52 yr old / over weight / lifetime smoker / was 5’10” / 196 lbs / now 168 lbs, 4’2” with a 10” inseam / living in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

The “Incident”:

On January 3 2003, I had left work and returned home around 5:00 pm. My wife had loaded our van with the stuff we needed for the weekend at our country cottage so we were “on the road” straight away. From our house we traveled a bit to what is known as the “Perimeter Highway”. It is a junction of a main road and the highway and therefore had a stop light at the intersection.

I waited for my turn and turned left. While turning, something in the back of the van shifted. Perhaps thinking that something had spilt, I drove some ¾ of a mile from the intersection and pulled off the highway onto the paved shoulder. It was twilight; my vehicle’s lights were on as well as the emergency flashers. I suppose I must have gotten out, walked to the back of the van, opened the back hatch and would have been facing in towards the van. That is all I know of…………the rest is a mixture of life, old memories, weird people, moose sausage.….all mixed up………

I am told that the idiot, who ended up crushing me between the front of his truck and the back of the van, had traveled that ¾ of a mile from the same intersection, driving on the shoulder of the road. He says he did not see me. He later pleaded not guilty to a dangerous driving charge, was found guilty and was fined $200.00 CDN. A stranger stopped and used his belt to tie off my one leg as the main artery had been severed. My girls were at the hospital when they wheeled me in. They had to witness chunks of my body left inside the van when they went to retrieve personal items. Decisions were made, surgeries were performed and comments were issued about the fact that I did not have one mark on my body anywhere……….other than the crushed legs. I have no memories of this…………….

The Hospital:

I came to some three weeks later, my wife whispering in my ear…….”ED, you were in an accident………..they had to take your legs”. I know it did not really totally register at the time through the drug induced state I was in. I had answered “well I guess I am only good for picking blueberries” to her. Being a bilateral ak (above knee) amputee meant nothing to me.

During this three week time period, I was back in the OR three times for major operations. My memories are faint, warped and surreal for this period. I remained in the ward for some four months until there was room for me in the Rehab hospital. My wife and daughters came everyday and stayed for the duration of each. So many friends arrived that they had to control how many persons were visiting me at a time.

Rehab:

I started in rehab in April of that year and made up my mind that if I was to have a shot at walking to any degree, I would attend the rehab gym…every day……….eight hours a day. This I did for the next two years. The biggest problem I had to face was the fact that nobody there had any experience with a case such as mine – an otherwise healthy body missing its legs. Nobody knew what or how to teach me things. They never had a bilateral above knee amputee use those dam Pam aid things. They are designed for a unilateral. Even on the ward, the worker’s there had no idea how to handle a man with no legs……….one leg - no problem……….no legs - treat like man with one leg…….didn’t work. I had to learn on my own.

One day while I was wobbling around the gym in these aid things, using a frame walker, attached to two attendants, my wife was there. She was told by the head amp Dr “no matter how strong he is or how good he gets, he will never walk more than 100’”. After hearing this I asked my physiotherapist – “let’s cut through all the crap. What do you see as a final product?” His answer “two arty legs, one locked and one unlocked, two arm canes and you should be able to go about 100’”. This really depressed me. I took this as a personal challenge. I beat it the next day.

On the 9th May, 2003, I received my first set of legs with check sockets. By the end of that day I was between the bars with both knees unlocked. My training continued after the usual problems like “blistering out on the scar tissue” settled down later on at the end of August. In that November, I walked one daughter down the aisle using a frame walker. Everybody cried……….it is a good memory.

October 2004 saw the arrival of my C leg units. They took a bit to get used to and I was finally discharged from the day patient program on 3 January 2005 (two years to the exact date of the idiot). I have been on my own since…………….

My Current Status (29 Sept 2005):

A little older, still smoking, still married, still trying to be better. I do most things I ever did before, some a little different and most a lot harder. I also do a few odd things I never did before like snowmobile riding. I walk every where using one cane and have the ability to walk small distances without an aide. I am not happy being what I am, but I am living with it. I am not afraid of dying anymore. I think the fact that I already have two feet in the grave has something to do with that.

I am the first Manitoban to be funded for the C leg units by public insurance and am the fourth bilateral aka in Canada to have them. I am told that I am the first bilateral aka in the last twenty five years of the rehab hospital to be “up” and using prosthetics.

I think if there is a lesson to be learned from me, it is the following:

In my opinion, if an old, farty, smoking, over weight male, who never truly succeeded with anything in life – can dig up enough balls to do what the “experts” said can’t or is seldom done – then anybody can – IF THEY WANT TO. I am not someone “special”………I am someone fortunate enough to be alive…the rest is gravy.

Martine,

I'm so sorry for what has happened to you. You have been in our collective prayers.

I was happy to learn that Afet will be visiting you. She is wise and wonderful and has been through a lot herself.

Ed is the most resourceful, tenacious person I have ever encountered. He will have much to offer.

I hope you'll join us here when you're able. It is a wonderful place with a great mix of people who always have good advice and lots of humour.

I wish you a speedy recovery and all the best for your future.

Hello Martine

We've all read your story this week & so we now know how devastating the 7th July was for you. The reasons for what happened to you are so pointless...

I wish you a good recovery and I hope that you'll be able to create something positive and good, out of your experiences.

And, hopefully, you'll soon be able to join us. :)

Take care

Hi Martine, I'm really sorry to hear what has happened. You are not alone and don't ever think that you are. There are so many people aside from your medical team who send you love & wishes for a fast recovery-you're in our thoughts.

All the very best.

Melissa-Australia.

You might also want to have a read of "A test of Will" if your bored, it gave me heaps of enouragement to beat those days that sometimes are a little tough.

Martine,

Just wanted to add my best wishes too.

What happened was so devastating, and so many people were affected. I will never understand how us human beings can be so cruel to one another, and have such disregard for human life - no matter what race, creed etc.

I hope that you heal, both physically and mentally, in time, and that those memories will be replaced with happier ones.

I have a leg from Roehampton, and their facilities and expertise were amazing from my experiences, I hope that you find the same.

Good luck in the coming weeks and months, and remember that there are a lot of people here, at this forum, that will be sending you good luck messages, and who will also be here, if you want some advice, support, information etc.

Good luck and take care.

Sue, Cardiff, UK

Martine

I am adding my voice to the many members. I am so sorry for your loss. Please visit us when you are able.

Good luck with the rest of your re-hab

Rachel

Hi Martine,

I want to wish you the best as you progress further with your rehabilitation. You have been through so much already, and I admire your incredible strength. You will have some frustrating days ahead, (along with good days too!) but I would encourage you to reach out whenever you feel frustrated. It helps tremendously to know that you're not alone and that everyone on this message board can relate to what you are going through in some way. The people here are friendly, funny and extremely supportive.

I will keep you in my prayers, Martine, best wishes to you!

Blessings,

Cheri

Hello Martine,

I have just read your story that Afet was kind enough to post here on the Heather Mills Board.

I am a bi-lateral knee disarticulate, which means that I also, do not have knees. I lost mine in a motor vehicle accident on April 4, 2003.

I look back now, and can not believe that it has been over two years since that fateful day.

You stated in your story;

"People say to me I am amazing and they don't think they could do this. But what choice have I got? I either lay down and die, sit in this wheelchair for the rest of my life, or I get up and I walk."

You are exactly right, those are the choices that you have.

The same choices that I, and many of us here on this board were faced with.

I chose to walk!

And I must state that I believe that I walk rather well for an old fat guy on two C-Legs.

I am sure that you will choose to walk also!

You are a physically fit young woman with your whole life ahead of you.

You too will be looking back on all of this some day and wondering how you ever came this far.

I plan to get back to White Water Rafting soon myself, just one of the many things that they said that I will never be able to do again.

I will send you a picture!

God's Speed

Ted Snelling

:rolleyes:

Hi Martine.

I lost my leg AKA. Due to diabetes that caused bad circulation.I cant think of any words that can explain how I feel about how this thing that happened to you I only know when you read these messages you will realize that there are many people that are willing to help you as much as we can and I wish you well for the future and please come and join us on our site you are very welcome.

Kind regards Pat.

Best wishes; you're a true inspiration; I was griping about stuff going on with me but it's nothing in comparison to what you have to go through; so I smile, because everyday there are people fighting a harder battle. B)

Hi Martine, my name is Sheila, I live in the USA and have been a lbk amputee going on ten years. I'm so pleased to have this oppurtunity to wish you all the best, as you travel through your new journey. I so hope to be reading your postings one day on this great forum, where you will many friendly people.

I perhaps will never be able to comprehend the loss you have felt, but what I do understand is, sometimes in life, we are faced with challenges that only our inner strength can endure. My thoughts and prayers are with you, and my Angels are watching over you. 0:-)

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Hi Maritime,

I am not sure when you will read this, but as I watched the tele, I wondered who had been hurt and I knew soemone would be an amputee. I am so sorry that it had to be you. All of my love and wishes go out to you.

I lost my leg in a motorcycle accident many years ago. Exactly how isn't important. I am 43 year old right AKA and I don't use a prosthesis. I use crutches and some well placed chairs.

I liken loosing a leg suddenly to someone taking your favorite puch bowl(your life) and tossing it off the top pf the refrigerator. It breaks into pieces, some pieces shatter and they will never be the same, and you grieve for them for along time.

Later, you fill in those pieces with new things, people and activities. You learn new ways to walk and do things.

Others pieces are left whole and those you can use them to make the new punch bowl back together, one day you will I promise.

I really want to hear form you about your progress, please get on the board when you feel up to it.

Unique

I use crtuches and I have avery nice life. , byt and I know this sounds sorny but God doesn't give you things you can;t handle

Hey Afet:

I was watching a program last evening about the London bombings. It was put together with interviews etc of actual persons there at the time.

I am sure there was a reference to Martine.

At any rate........any news on your visit???

ED

ED, I don't know if you saw my posting in the other thread about Martine. I went to the hospital that article said she was in and spent a couple of hours being sent from one department to another, but it turns out they had their facts wrong. She was at a totally different hospital altogether. :(

I checked the details, and know where the actual hospital Martine is staying at is, but unfortunately, it's not as close as the other one. Getting to her hospital will take alot longer than before and a train journey. Considering the travelling distance, I'd need to set out a whole day for the visit, which I'm having trouble with. Whenever I get a free day, something usuallly comes up. <_<

However, I am free next week, so will try one day then. I am determined to go and see her and deliver the messages that you all wrote.

It's also difficult with Patient Protection in this country. If I rang a hospital, they are not permitted to say that a person is a patient in that hospital or not. This was not the case when I went to find Martine last week though, as the member of staff I asked got her name mixed up, and told me she was in the hospital when she obviously wasn't. That's why I ended up spending so long there.

Watch this space though. The mission continues... B)

I admire your tenacity Afet. I'm sure you'll track her down. I just keep thinking, you know, if it was me....I would be blown away if I found out how much support was there for me from people I didn't even know. From other amputees. That is such a special thing. So very special.

Drat - there I go getting all weepy.....

Well, I'm sorry to say that I never did manage to visit Martine. :(

After my last post, I got notice that new accommodation had been found for me and hubby, but I had only one week to move. :o

As you can imagine, I had to drop everything that I had planned and get packing!

I feel so bad that I never got to visit her and hand deliver your messages, but I'm hoping that she has found this site and read them for herself.

Sorry everyone :(

Hiya Afet - no need to be sorry. These messages will be here for a while, and sooner or later somebody will find her. Even if we have to stick them in the post.....our hearts are still there.

Who knows - she was probably so overwhelmed at the time, that perhaps getting our messages later is far better.

We can wait. She will pop up somewhere when she is good and ready.

Ally

:)