Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
girly_wales

once a month phantom pain

Hi every one,

I think this post may apply more to the girls. but ive noticed that i only get phantom pain once a month, and that is when im on my period.

any one else noitce this?

Andy

x x x

I think it's a common problem with us 'ladies', Andy. :) It's because we get a bit of fluid retention during that time of the month & it puts a bit of pressure on the nerve endings.

Lizzie

It's something I've never noticed. Perhaps I should start to pay more attention. I do know that when I am stressed, the phantoms strike.

Around 'that' time of the month, for about a week before we are due, most of us experience a big drop in magnesium, which also accounts for PMS. Most times PMS can be lessened by taking additional magnesium tablets in the form of supplements, like Dolomite (here in SA). I wonder if this might help with the phantom pains as well?

Just a thought....

Ally

yes, likewise, not sure if its phantom pain but legs do get pretty uncomfortable around that time.

Ann

PMS - Potential Murder Suspect.............. ;)

Guest bearlover

Oh yeys! and it gets worse "that time of the month" Totally crazy! When I had my real leg it also acted up durring that time as well. :blink:

I'm very glad I don't have to deal with "that time of the month" any more... as every single, ache, pain, and problem I had became worse then!

Lizzie's theory about fluid retention makes good sense to me. Also, if we're "PMSing," and generally "on edge" to begin with, it seems that every little thing gets magnified in our perception... and phantoms are hardly a "little thing" to begin with!

I get phantoms when I'm overtired and stressed... but at least not from "that" stress any more. :P

Hi

As we are getting quite personal I wondered if anyone else experienced more phantom pain when they go to the toilet?

Lisa

Hi

As we are getting quite personal I wondered if anyone else experienced more phantom pain when they go to the toilet?

Lisa

I actually had this problem for about 5 years after my amputation, sometimes it was really bad, I can relate to this.

hi all

i am so glad someone approached this subject! i thought i was going mad, every month when my period came, so did the achy legs and the phantom pains! Because all this is still pretty new to me (7 months) i sometimes wonder if its just everything still settling down. i have also noticed sometimes when i need the toilet, i do get a few phantoms, but not always.

i have just returned from spain yesterday, whilst we were there we had quite a bad thunderstorm. i wanted to know if anyone else gets phantom pain or symptoms during a storm? sounds daft i know, but just before a clap of thunder i got a nerve sensation in my stump. could predict them, much to my husbands amusement!

hope everyone had a good summer

take care and keep smiling

terri ;)

i have just returned from spain yesterday, whilst we were there we had quite a bad thunderstorm. i wanted to know if anyone else gets phantom pain or symptoms during a storm? sounds daft i know, but just before a clap of thunder i got a nerve sensation in my stump. could predict them, much to my husbands amusement!

Tell me about it, Terri! :rolleyes:

I think a few of us here suffer from weather related PLP's & I think that there's a thread somewhere that discusses them.

Lizzie :)