Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
eddie103

:::AKA "Trick":::

::: AKA Trick:::

Here’s a good one for all you one or no leggers out there…………….I was once told by my physio person at the time that I could never “stand” on my stumpi.

Well…………. Now I can put all my weight on them and “stand for a long time. This gives me a little more height…………all the way to 4’2” plus arms!!!!

Any other akas out there able to do this or am I just a bit more strange?

ED

Wow, Ed, that's great! It's supposed to be very painful to weightbear on the end of a transfemoral amp. I'm very impressed!! :)

Lizzie

I can't do that Ed, I saw a guy once at the limb centre walk on his stump! Impressive :)

PJ :D

Makes me cringe to think of it but if you can do it , why not. :)

Yet another Ed accomplishment. Well done.

Hey Ed, your almost catching up with me, at 4' 11" :P :lol: No, you're not strange at all.... clever is more like it!! B) I've never even given it a thought, but I did see a man just last week at my prosthetist's office, coming from the restroom, walking on his stumps with what sounded like boards or something under them..... dunno, but he was moving right along at a pretty good pace. ;) He probably only stood about 3'something, but carried very broad shoulders!! :D

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Oh my gosh, Ed......... even the thought of trying that makes me WINCE! ;) Wow!

Karen :-)

AKA

Orlando, FL

I'm a BK so it's a bit different.....but I have walked on my stump since day 1

It has helped so much especially with things like getting in the shower...stump first....stand....pull myself in.

I know, Catherine, I can weightbear on the ends of both my stumps, as they were amputated through joints - I think yours was too, wasn't it? But, I think Ed's (correct me if I'm wrong, Ed) were amputated through the femur & that's supposed to be almost impossible to tolerate, as it's very painful.

I take my hat of to you, Ed! :)

Lizzie

Straight through the ankle joint Lizzie yep. That's why I said mine is a bit different :D

Mind you I seem to make a living out of being different :lol: :lol: :lol:

Straight through the ankle joint Lizzie yep. That's why I said mine is a bit different...

So is one of mine...so, that makes two of us! :D

Lizzie

Ed that's amazing .........but no way the pain factor would wipe me out bigtime. It even makes me cringe to think about it Ouch!

hi ed , :D

There is no way i can do that .ANY weight on my stump even light pressure its big big big pain time and then its off to a quite courner to sulk for a bit, :blink:

....................................mick

Ed, all I can say is:

OUCH!!!!!!!!!

...just thinking of it!!

Been a while since I started this thread..........thought I'd add a more current update.

Today...........a few years later.............I function on my stumps all the time when I am in bum mode. I stand on them, crawl a lot (better then "slepping " around) and can stretch a bit higher while standing on one of either stump.

My prot guy says that in all of his experience he has never had a patient able to do this. However.................

I have become aware of a couple of others who can............Heath Calhoun and Cameron Clapp.

I am sure there are others so it goes to show that it is doable.

ED

It makes me cringe to think about it but i've got a friend from my limp centre whose a lak and rbk and he used to go to the building site where he worked and climb the ladders to the roof one his stumps. I don't think I would want to try I heard a couple of some people whose scars split from doing it. OUCH!

It makes me cringe to think about it but i've got a friend from my limp centre whose a lak and rbk and he used to go to the building site where he worked and climb the ladders to the roof one his stumps. I don't think I would want to try I heard a couple of some people whose scars split from doing it. OUCH!

Makes me cringe to think about it too. As a b/k this is something I was told never to do also, but have seen quite a few amps do it at different limb centres I have gone to over the years, but think as Lizzie says, they were probably all with their levels of amps was through joints. Last year I watched a TV prog about a young bilateral guy, somewhere or other who did walk on his stumps, not sure but think they had taken part of his heel and grafted on to his stump, but my memory on this is hazy. Seem to remember though canoes featured in this programme, so someone on here might remember, but did think at the time that his stumps looked in a hell of a state.

Like a couple of the others mine is BK and through where the ankle should have been had I had one - and I can stand on the end of my stump no problem and for short distances (such as going from the bedroom to the bathroom in the middle of the night) I can just walk albeit with a mighty limp - my scar is at the front and that I cannot bear anything touching as it is far too painful. You mention about a ladder - it is useful for getting out of swimming pools as I can use the normal 'steps' if they are ladder style.