Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Awesome Blue

WOW check this out

wow....

i would sooo apply for it, if i caould have the time off uni. sadly i cant afford 2 take it, im already ayr behind wot it should be...

ill ponder i think.

Andy

x x

As usual, here in South Africa it's not being flighted yet.

:(

My prosthetist had a chuckle though, he said "you wanna do it, don't you?"

Yeah right. 10 years ago maybe....

But I'm with Dancingfool - I have the pompoms for y'all.....

:P

Y'all? Come on, Ally, where you from girl? That's what we say in the South. Hey, it just hit me - you are from the South - South Africa!

hi team,

i watched it as well,i can so relate to what they are going through, i did similar stuff myself when i was younger , but i wasnt a amp then and my team were all well and in 100% fitness levels. :ph34r:

so as im now far far to old to enter (46) with this team that you good people are getting together i would like to volunteer as team coach. that means i have all the fun of the journey with no hardship involved you know whilst you all struggle in the jungle i follow behind on horese back?? or car or better still a 4X4 with air con, and at the end of the day i can tell you all how well you have done.!! :D :D :P

but watching it i found that i was getting very emotional and i so wanted to kick that charlie right where it hurts ................. :angry: was/am i the only person to think like this???? cant wait till the next week................................mick

No you werent the only one to think like that mick.

Have yopu been reading the forums on the bbc page, the show has been slated... asking y do disabled ppl need to prove them selves... I certainly think as a disabled person i need to prove some times to ppl that i can do things....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbouch/F2651830 is the link to the message baord.

Andy

x x

P.S im REALLY thinking about applying...

Thanks for the link, Andy - very mixed opinions, aren't there? :ph34r:

If you want to, then apply! I would if I were younger & didn't have children. But, don't do it to prove yourself to other people...do it, to prove to yourself that you CAN do it! :)

Lizzie

But, don't do it to prove yourself to other people...do it, to prove to yourself that you CAN do it! :)

Lizzie

I enjoyed watching the program and admire those taking part.

However I'm inclined to agree with Lizzie that proving it to yourself is the important thing. Don't know if I would want the world watching whilst I was finding out.

I wonder, is there an added danger with this particular dose of reality TV as to how disabled people may be perceived in the future. :ph34r:

Mike

thanks andy

how i wish i was a few years younger, and i would join you. :P

but do it for yourself NOT the others, that was at the root of my early problems (see post in family matters) trying to prove to "non amps" what i could do instead of doing things for myself.

ps would still like to kick that charlie where the sun dos"ent shine :D

hi dancingfool

because the rest of this special team, are working flat out as a team but this person has the least amount of disability and has done nothing but moan, moan and a bit more moaning along with his constant whinging. add the fact i dont believe that he is pulling his full weight when the others really are that is why i would luv to be there and sort him out.

if i was the team leader he would be on his way home.

this trip is not only about each person, it is about how if they all work together as a team they can overcome the very difficult task that has being set before them. as individuals they would most likley fail but all working together they will do it . that is what it is all about and as far as im concerned he isnt playing his part.

this could be a ploy by the BBC and maybe next week we will have a new improved charlie we will have to wait and see.

still looking forward to seeing it.......................mick B)

Finally found the show after realizing that it's on a day later here, duh! I was surprised how emotional I got when watching it. And, yeah, I'd like in on kicking Charlie. That guy needs to grow up. I've been blabbing on and on about this show to everyone that I work with. It has made for some interesting conversations because they don't see it quite the same as I do. Most wonder why people would put themselves through all of that when their daily lives are hard enough the way it is!

Caroln

Carol - what network in the US and when?

i found after lookin on the bbc ouch site, that many people who seemed to be physically able, slated the show much more than those who are disabled.

if i did it i would do it for me.... not for any one else. i need to check with uni but i really really am considerin it.

Andy

x x

i found after lookin on the bbc ouch site, that many people who seemed to be physically able, slated the show much more than those who are disabled.

I read those comments too & I think that they may be thinking about the possible effect the programme may have on attitudes towards disabled people.

I can't see any harm in it myself: I've found that when some people first come across a form of disability, they find it difficult to cope with. This programme is full of people with a range of disabilities doing something that everyone would find challenging. This is important, as most people without a disability don't realise how hard it can be, for people with disabilities, to do just the 'simple' things in life & they can 'look down' on people with more challenges in their life (one-up-man-ship, I suppose). If someone with that attitude watches the programme & they see a group of people who have disabilities & who are meeting all the challenges that such an environment throws at them, then (in my experience) after they have digested it, they usually look at people with disabilties in a more positive way. (There, I'm off my soapbox now! :)).

If you can, then go for it, Andy. :) Why not? As I said before, I would if circumstances were different. :)

Lizzie

Thanks for the info on the US programming. I thought I looked. I will try to catch it this week.

I watched it on the Discovery Channel on Wednesday night at 9 pm Central Time. I have programmed it into my TIVO so I won't miss it.

Caroln

attitudes towards disabled people.

I can't see any harm in it myself: I've found that when some people first come across a form of disability, they find it difficult to cope with. after they have digested it, they usually look at people with disabilties in a more positive way.

Sorry Lizzie I have to disagree, last year Mat Frazier made a program called 'Born freak' which travels the history of disability in the Western world. Historically we are seen as a novelty and still are in some quarters. Discrimation towards disabled people still exists I'm sorry to say, in fact it is on the increase with organisations like Ryan Air leading the way! :blink:

I watched the program Beyond Boundaries with interest like everybody else did, but soon felt that with the edits and on going narration it was becoming a bit of a circus.

I work with disabled people every day, very few could consider super human feats. In fact many struggle to cope with every day life. <_<

Ade is a supreme athlete; as are some of the other participants. I can't really see what the program is trying to achieve?

On this forum we have amps that can do all what was shown, and we have amps that can do very little.

Empowering people to contribute what ever they can to life/society has to be the positive way forward. For those of us that want super human activity it is there at the Olympics.

The majority of non disabled people watching the program would not have a clue to the pain or struggle involved, they will expect all disabled people to perform like these stars, in every day life!

Many people ask me why I cannot run, when I question why I should be able too? They say I've seen a guy with no legs running 100m in less than 10 seconds with springs on, can't you get one of those?

The program would have been much more positive in showing the team trying to negotiate the London tube network, I'm sure we could have all empathise with that.

For those of us fighting for disability rights and benefits, this type of program serves as no help, I see more benefits being cut, many doctors already don't consider the loss of a limb a disability. :(

All I am trying to say is we can't all climb Everest!

PJ

The majority of non disabled people watching the program would not have a clue to the pain or struggle involved, they will expect all disabled people to perform like these stars, in every day life!

I'm afraid I agree with this one completely. Able bodied people are very rarely exposed to a 'normal' everyday amputee. What they see are the paralympians, and the very high achievers who accomplish great things.

Their attitute towards us is not surprising then. Why shouldn't we run and leap and climb and do it well and with a smile? After all, it's what gets shown on TV.....

New amputees fall right into this trap as well. Watching Oscar Pistorius is about as far removed from reality as one can get. But who tells them that those legs are a trillion dollars each, and completely unwearable on any normal day.

Having said all that, I'm still going to ra-ra in my new shoes and pom poms when some of you guys enter the next show. I think it's fabulous. Most able bodied people don't understand us, and they probaby never will.

Too bad.

Ally

Hi Paul

I'm sorry you didn't agree with my previous posting. Perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly enough?

Like you, I find the 'circus exhibit' attitude towards disability distasteful - what person with a disability doesn't? But I do think that being ignored, and 'swept under the carpet', is actually worse than being discussed. People need to openly discuss disability and all the taboos surrounding it. If we continually ignore disability in the media, for instance, by not having programmes that contain people with disabilities then we are at risk of being ignored (again). By showing a programme like Beyond Boundaries you are hopefully getting people, who wouldn't normally look twice at a person with disabilities in the street, to watch. In my experience, they often start talking about disability and asking questions. People who normally shy away from disability often start discussing the programme - asking 'have I watched it' & 'what do I think' & 'could you do that' & 'why do you think that' & 'what can you manage' & 'why not'. This is a basic but an important hurdle.

Where Beyond Boundaries probably 'falls down', is that they don't have a team of people with and without disabilities - in many ways that would be even more of a challenge. Also, more public discussion about disability could be initiated, if this series of programmes was part of a month of 'articles' discussing disability.

I'm not saying the programme is perfect, but at least (for some people) it will start them talking and perhaps thinking about disability. It's not ideal, but it's a starting point & for those taking part it's probably a worthwhile experience.

Lizzie

I don't understand why people would expect all people with disabilities to be the same. After all do they expect all two leggers to be Olympians? No. So why should we all have the same skills?