Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Awesome Blue

WOW check this out

not sure how everyone else is finding this programme, i am totally in awe of it, how ever i find it VERY VERY emotional..

Elderly urged to give up driving

One accident saw £20,000 of damage when a male driver in his 70s, with a wooden leg, demolished a Paignton estate agent's plate glass window.

Taken from the BBC News website.

To me this implies that it was not only the man's age but his physical disability that led to the accident. But hey that's the new positive image of us that the media like to portray.

I've already complained and I might take it up with the disability section of my Union, who have a large membership in the BBC. :blink:

By the way, do any of us still use "wooden legs" ?

When I first lost my leg I saw a wooden one, and I said "hey, I want that". But the prosthetist said they only made them for men because ladies preferred the (hideous) foam covers because they looked more natural.

My current prosthetist has a 'museum' of legs - he's got a tin one and a wooden one there. I doubt very much that they are still issued - don't they have special knee joints or something?

Eish!

:P

:rolleyes:

Hi

What have the last two post's got to do with the TV program above?.

Pat.

My apologies Pat, I went a bit off topic there and Ally and Marcie were just replying to that. I'll now leave this thread to those who really think that reality TV has some merit.

Looking forward to seeing "Can't cook, Won't Cook, Too Crippled to Reach the Cupboard" which must surely hit our screens soon ;)

By the way, do any of us still use "wooden legs" ?

I would like one for fancy dress purposes! I still refer to my 'prosthesis' as my wooden leg though.

Mike

last in the series 2 guys and gals should be a great one. i know not all of them achieve thier goal but im not sure which do and which dont.

How ever, i can gurantee i will not move from the sofa for the hur and ill make sure i have tissues next to me!

Andy

x

So they did it... 7 of them made it. 12 of them tried and 11 of them were totally amazing! (no guessing for who the one was who i left out!)

I mean coveing a whole counrty from coast to coast, making that asscent and descent...

Last few weeks after watching this programme i have been quite upset and emotionally touched by it. This week i feel inspired, with the drive to do more!!

Well done to all who did it, not sure if ne 1 reads it but well done neway :)

andy

x x

I have to admit I watched it too Andy, but my view has not changed. Missed opportunity to show what disabled people are capable of? Not crawling up mountains, but working, building, supporting others in our society!

The BBC have let disabled people down, by portraying our impairments as not disabling! As I have said before, how about a normal trip to work, show the reality!

Ade showed fantastic strength in climbing a volcano, hauling himself half way through the Nicaraguan rain forest!

But can he access a train NO, Can he access a Plane NO, Can he access a Ferry NO. :( Should we be supplying ropes and harnesses so disabled people can get to work? :huh:

Still great telly, for those bored with I'm a celebrity get me out of here! Next up the Space shuttle is to be manned by a totally disabled crew who land on the moon! Who wants to come?

PJ ;)

I watched Chelsea v Real Betis, not a great game (I'm not a Chelsea fan thankfully) for the neutral, but quite enjoyable all the same...

Watched the final episode and was indeed full of admiration for those who finished, and what they went through to get there.

Still cannot help but feel this program was designed and edited around producing 'good TV' for the masses.

The most able people in the group (with the exception of Charlie) those with the fewest problems, those that just got on with it, featured very little. In a whole episode they attracted no more than a couple of minutes attention from time to time.

Seemed to me that the program makers preferred to concentrate on the on the distress and mysery that other members were enduring as each leg (no pun intended) of the journey unfolded.

However, let this not detract from the very real acomplishment of those that made it ... Respect !!

Mike

:rolleyes:

Hi

I agree with Mike the show was made for the audience appeal but you cant take from the people that were in the adventure the respect they deserved for trying and completing the task.Well done to them all that entered.

Pat.

have to ask has any one else applied for the next one in Africa? I have. and ive managed 2 get an interview!!

Yey!!

Excited

That's awesome Andy. You must keep us updated as you go along. Fabulous! I wish I had half your energy. I look forward to seeing you in my part of the world.

Ally

:)