Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Awesome Blue

WOW check this out

Beyond Boundaries

Eleven intrepid adventurers, each with a physical disability, set out on an arduous trek from the Atlantic Mosquito Coast to the Pacific. How do you cut through dense undergrowth in a wheelchair? How do you navigate a rainforest if you're blind? How do you tell a deaf man there's a crocodile behind him? Six amputees are also part of the team that has had no previous expedition experience. Will they all survive?

Beyond Boundaries starts Tuesday 11 October (UK)

UK BBC2 9pm, US Discovery USA 10pm EST

Sounds like compulsive viewing to me

I remember them advertising for volunteers for this - I think I was just about to go in for surgery, so I didn't apply...well, that's my excuse! :)

It does sound interesting tho' (e.g. pushing a wheelchair through dense undergrowth :ph34r:). Do you think if we watch it we could pick up some tips? ;)

Lizzie

Hey everyone,

I was checking out the BBC OUCH website the other day and I came accross this page.

How amazing is this... defiantely one to watch i think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/tvradio/beyondboundaries/

When you have a free minute (or hour) check out he OUCH website, its full of use full, and not so usefull information.

andy

keep smiling

JANE'S WALK ON THE WILD SIDE

Double amputee treks 220 miles across jungle for telly challenge

Exclusive By Lisa Adams

A MEDICAL student who had both legs amputated as a baby has successfully completed a 220-mile trek across Nicaragua.

Jane Atkinson had to endure tough challenges such as abseiling down a live volcano and dodging crocodiles and mosquito swarms.

The 25-year-old faced the nightmare scenarios daily after she signed up to star in a new four-part TV show.

The trainee doctor, from Edinburgh, was born with congenital abnormalities but refuses to let that stop her getting exactly what she wants out of life.

She said: "I've never been the sort of person to say no to anything.

"I was just one when my parents took the brave decision to have my feet and ankles amputated.

"I was walking by my second birthday and have been chasing after my older brothers ever since.

"I put on my legs in the morning like most people put on their shoes.

"I've done a lot of travelling before so thought I could cope with most things.

"I wanted to make my flatmates jealous. Who else gets a chance like this?"

Jane joined 10 other disabled people from across the UK to take part in the hazardous, 28-day journey through Central America for the BBC's Beyond Boundaries.

But an exam and a week of night shifts on the wards just before she set off meant Jane had no time to train for the endurance tests which lay ahead.

She said: "The high point was first hearing the Pacific. I couldn't believe we were going to do it until then.

"The adventure was so physical. It was so different to anything I had ever put my body through at all." I didn't want to have to ask for help. The team had enough to do."

Gruelling tasks included cutting through dense undergrowth in rainforests, wading through crocodile-infested swamps, surviving in the desert, climbing mountains and crossing Latin America's second largest lake.

Jane had to dodge lethal snakes and scorpions along the way, and Nicaragua is also home to the world's only species of freshwater shark.

But the hardest part of all was the last day, when the adrenalin Jane had beensurviving on for so long finally ran out. She said: "I'd never felt so exhausted in my life. Every part of me was wanting to stop except the bit of my character that makes me a stubborn cow who won't give up.

"The fact I was sick with a tummy bug the whole night made things worse. I couldn't see myself leaving my hammock, let alone making it to the end."

Now safe at home, Jane can add her Central American experience to all her other globe-trotting adventures.

She backpacked through India after she left school and spent several months working in an African mission hospital in Kenya as part of her medical degree.

Jane recalled: "I had always wanted to go to an African mission hospital - real hands-on medicine.

"So I packed a spare leg in bubble-wrap, strapped it on to my rucksack, and headed for Kenya.

"I'm back to career-based challenges now, but they are big enough for the moment."

Jane said she'll never forget the remarkable friends she met on her trek through Nicaragua, including two people in wheelchairs, a man with spina bifida, a blind man and a deaf man.The team were led by a former SAS guide.

Taken from this page of the Daily Record Newspapers site.

Thanks that article, Afet.

The volunteers were amazing, we're they? Tho' I'm not sure if I'd jump at the chance of wading through lakes, climbing mountains & cutting through dense jungle, as you need such determination...but, then isn't that the sort of attitude that most (all?) of us have? Perhaps Mike is right & we should enter a team for next year?! ;)

Lizzie

Tho' I'm not sure if I'd jump at the chance...

Well, I wouldn't jump at the chance either.. because... er... I CAN'T jump! :lol: ;)

Well, I wouldn't jump at the chance either.. because... er... I CAN'T jump!  :lol:  ;)

Right Afet .. I've put you down as part of the forward bush clearing party then. Should be no jumping required :lol:

Mike

I'm always up for a challenge & I had to see if I could still jump - and, guess what? I CAN...only just & with loads of upper body involvement, but I CAN!! :)

Lizzie

did any one else watching beyond boudaries?? it was so good but so emotional....

these ppl are amazing...

andy

x x x

Afet,

What can I say ... I did tell you it was on  :(

I know, I know... it was totally my fault. I'd even made a note of it in my diary, but my mind's been all over the place these past few days and I even forgot to check that! :lol: :huh:

I'll definitely try and watch it next week. Who knows, it may even be repeated late at night (when they repeat some programmes with signing, for the deaf). Will check the TV guide. :(

P.S. Thanks Lizzie. :)

Wow - that looks like SO MUCH FUN!

And the next one is in Africa......

So who's volunteering??? ;)

I couldn't find it here. I probably don't have the right station. Bummer.

Caroln

Mike, you may have said that a little tongue-in-cheek, but having checked out the site, they are already advertising for Beyond Boundaries 2!

Maybe you should apply?  ;)

Errrrmmmm .... What happened to the team spirit all of a sudden :(

Yes, I watched it last might, think it was on BBC2, fascinating. Like Andy, I thought it very emotional, the terrain was really tough going, it came across as if they hadn't expected it to be as bad as it was. It was interesting seeing the probs. that some had, which you wouldn't have expected. The sore the chap had with the b/k prosthesis, looked nasty, I could almost feel it!

Ann