Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

Hi Mike

I understood that most amps that wanted to shower with a prosthetic leg used a 'shower/beach leg' (a prosthesis designed to get wet). However, if you want to cover your prosthesis, you could try this, but I'm not sure how good it is at keeping out the water. :blink:

Lizzie

There was a thread about this a while back which you can see if you click Here.

I sometimes use my swim leg if I have to stand in the shower or if I'm at home I just use a bath board or stool.

Thanks for the information, which is most useful

Right now I have no option but to use a cover as I will have only my first (basic) leg. I'm hoping to fulfil some business commitments very soon, which will entail a couple of nights in a hotel, therefore I'm trying to be as prepared as possible.

Any further information welcome

Thanks in advance

Mike

Mike,

When I recently stayed in a hotel, I booked a disabled room - mainly for the shower.

It had a stand up shower cubicle, that had a seat attached to the wall (you could push it out of the way if you wanted to... handy for any non-amps you may be staying with) and a shower head that could be brought down to where you're sitting.

The room was ideal, except maybe for the low level hand basin (obviously for wheelchair users).

Might be an idea to look into this, just incase you can't get a cover for your leg in time. ;)

Just to expand on what Afet said, I've stayed in hotels that didn't have any handicapped rooms available but were able to provide me with a shower chair. Works for me!

hi mike,

ive been caught out a couple of times, when i wanted to shower,and there was no seat or grab rails to hang on to , so i simply used a black bin linner and a bit of tape to seal it round the top, it worked really well and my leg stayed dry, BUT IT HURT LIKE HELL WHEN I REMOVED THE TAPE : :blink:

SO UNLESS IT THAT OR NOTHING I WOULDNT RECOMENED IT.( WE LEAN BY OUR MISSTAKES IM TOLD) .

the second time it didnt hurt quite so much as there was HARDLY any hairs to pull out. :D

now i always have my own light weight clapasble ( spelling) canvas stool somewere around so i can at least sit down and shower.........one more bit of kit to lug around i know.

i know this wasnt what you were after but it might come in handy one day B)

take care ................mick

Hi Mike, was shown one the other day. It's like a thick rubber santa sack looking thing and gives you 30 minutes of cover. Looks really cool. I've never tried one myself but think it would be great when traveling. I've had real trouble not being able to get a disabled room and hence the overnight stays are impossible.

Here is the link; they have heaps of differnet products.

http://www.othoticsaust.com.au

I know they are Aust based but I'm certain the manufacturer would be O/S based

Good luck

Mel.

I use the XeroSox and find it to work very well at keeping my prosthetic leg dry while showering every morning.

those of u mentioning water legs, what are they like? can u go in ocean with them??

You can find a picture of mine if you click here and another one of it in action if you click here. Hope that helps.

Once again thanks for the help and advice.

Until such time I can get a swim leg (crocodile ones are cool :lol: ) I'm going to use a waterproof cover I have ordered from the States ..... $25.60 USD (£14.93)

http://www.thompsonsllc.com

Just in case anyone else here is curious, I have been in contact with these people and thay are happy to supply to the UK no problem and with no extra charge for shipping.

Afet, the hotel I need to use is one of the lodge type. I'm not certain that they provide disabled rooms, so I now have a lightweight bath board which will fit into a large hold all. This along with the waterproof cover should alow me the luxury of an 'over bath' shower without too much hassle. Well thats the theory anyway :D

Mike

the hotel I need to use is one of the lodge type. I'm not certain that they provide disabled rooms

Hi Mike, I'm making two assumptions here. One is that you're staying in the UK and the other is that by lodge type hotel you mean one of the Travelodge hotels. If that's the case then they do offer rooms with disabled facilities. See http://www.travelodge.co.uk/about/facilities.php.

Thanks for that Muz, it's useful to know as I do travel extensively on business. Also I checked out the Travel Inn web site, they too have adapted rooms for disabled people. You can also ask for a ground floor room close to reception if you are not exactly disabled, but have difficulty walking.

However the hotel I was referring to is a small independent ‘lodge style’ of hotel. I have stayed there many times but previously never had the need to enquire of disabled facilities. I think plan A is still the only option.

Mike

Got to say, don't like the thought of having a shower, wearing limbs, as I like to wash the stumps and get them clean. I have a shower over the bath and (as a bilateral b/k) tend to do this on my knees.

Ann

Ann, I must agree with you there. I can't imagine getting into a shower with my leg on. Somehow just can't see how it would work...being an above knee and all... :huh:

Under normal circumstances I would not dream of doing this either.

However, this is a one off situation whilst I'm by myself in a hotel.

Just looking for the safest and easiest way of getting a shower, don't want to finish up flat on my butt on some hotel bathroom floor :(

Mike

Could try this, only thing is you'd have to carry an exrtra leg everywhere for use in a hotel

Oneblue, thanks for that, however, I think it perhaps it is a little too advanced for the need that I have.

Yet again I am amazed at the information that is available from people on this site. I spent hours doing web searches, and ultimately found what I wanted from a link posted on here.

Mike

Hello Mike: I felt the need to add my 2 cents worth as well. I travel a lot myself and being a left symes (compare me to a b/k) I just stand on my right foot and use my left knee against the wall to help me balance. To keep from slipping, I place a wash cloth on the floor for my right foot. It took me 2 slipping crashes to figure that one out (slow learner). :rolleyes: For climbing in and out, I just grab whatever can support my weight. When I am at a camp ground type of facility and the showers are bigger and even the handicapped aren't what we would call handicapped accessible, I bring a little stool. I won't risk "hopping" on wet cement. YIKES! I LOVE the look of the XeroSox!! I'm going to get one of those for when I go swimming!! Right now I just have a "leg condom" that works so-so and I have to wear a water shoe with it so that the rubber doesn't tear (learned the hard way there too). For scuba diving I just use an old prosthesis that I had all the fake skin removed from. It's a touch floaty so I just wear an extra ankle weight on my left so I stay level. B) Otherwise, I've never felt the need to get a disabled room as long as there was something for me to hang on to for climbing in. Whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Amy

Hey Amy I'm a Right Syme......can you take your weight on your stump getting in and out of the shower?....I can....makes life a whole lot easier. Still hagve to be careful of slipping though.

Cat

Hello Cat:

I WISH!!!! I can't put any weight really on the end of my leg. I even have to roll the top of my socks so that when I put my leg into my prosthesis, that the "donut" around the top takes the majority of my weight and keeps it off the end of my leg. That way I can walk around a lot without even limping. If I slip down too low and place more weight on the end, I feel pain and limp and can't around like I want. You ROCK! <green with envy>

Amy

Amy,

I'm right BK (congenital) and I balance by pushing my knee or stump against the wall while showering, standing on my good leg. I can take a little bit of weight at the end of my stump, so if the shower is over the bath, I sometimes use the end of my stump on the edge of the bath. I travel often, and I've never had problems. I can't imagine showering with a prosthesis on.

Since we had to renovate our bathroom when we moved to this house, I do have a shower / hose attachment for the bath as well, so I can wash my hair while sitting in the bath if my "good" leg is having problems. It's also great for washing the kids' hair.

-kam

Hello Kam:

I agree! Washing my leg is too important! I sold my split level house last year and bought a single level town house (built for older people) This way, on the rare occassions that I am having "leg issues" and am on my crutches, I don't have to hobble up and down stairs. I LOVE it! Anyway, the shower in the master badroom has the sit down thingy so that I can just place my left knee on that while I shower and I have a hose with my shower head. In addition, the toilet in that bathroom is higher so it is easier getting up and sitting down. Did I mention that I love it? :P

Amy

Me I just use crutches, at the pool I wear a diving or wet shoe all the pavaler of putting on different legs would drive me nuts!

Could always get someone in the shower to hold you up!! :D

PJ :)