Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
pogoboy

Travel in Europe by train in a wheelchair

But it might be interesting to see you handle a mr.

Errrrrm I would prefer to take Ally shopping rather than that, so could we stay with the first option pls. :lol:

Mike :ph34r: in hiding just in case

See what happens when I don't have coffee?

Bloody hell pass me a JD & Coke, splutter .........................your in it now Mike, up to the top of your Alpine stars!!

LOL

PJ :D

Stick with the M25 option Mike, its less hassle in the long run :)

How would YOU know? You're just jealous! Sorry for corrupting your thread, pogoboy.

I'll stick with option one, Mike. Now , Ally, this is what it takes to get a man to go shopping.

See what happens when I don't have coffee?

Bloody hell pass me a JD & Coke, splutter .........................your in it now Mike, up to the top of your Alpine stars!!

LOL

PJ :D

It's only 9:30am in Chicago. Even I don't start drinking THAT early. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

A sudden flurry of activity or maybe that's the problem with being in a different time zone. I think the expression here is if you snooze, you loose.

What do you say in your neck of the woods?

I can't say as I mind anyone posting in this thread. Greetings to one and all. My laptop is, I believe in its last throws and I may need to start shopping for a new one very, very soon.

I suppose there's always the local library if I feel the urge to share a thought or two with someone online.

I had an adventure on the M20, yes I believe thatis where it was some many years ago when I was visiting England. I was staying with an American friend of mine in a little area, close to London. I don't know what they call the region, maybe Middlesex or Uxbridge - the town is called Ickenham, does that sound right, anyone?

Anyway I was preparing to go on an adventure. One of the early ones I think I may have eluded to earlier. And I was doing a bit of commuting back and forth on the M20 into London to get ready for my trip to the continent. This is back when I had two legs and did lots of cycling.

It seems every time that I ventured into town, it didn't take long before I lost my way and found myself trying to figure out how to find my way back out of town again and back onto the M20 and back to my friend's house. I do remember the Hoover plant somewhere along the route.

I did manage to find my way to Victoria Train station and I suppose that is as good a place as any to begin an adventure. That I'll never forget and or visiting a few local pubs to discover what the locals prefer to drink. I just now started to drink Guiness again after all these years.

I don't really want to be too long winded as I don't have anything exciting to say - and really was quite surprised that my laptop hasn't winked out just yet. Thanks for your patience and indulging me.

Cheers!

Mario aka pogoboy

Oh, I almost forgot to mention - Please don't ban me just yet! I'm not really so talented and I'm much older now so really I've practically lost all of my charm, (that is if I ever had any in the first place.) I do enjoy a good bit of humor now and then and I haven't even picked up a saber in quite a while.

pogoboy

I'm not really so talented and I'm much older now so really I've practically lost all of my charm,

pogoboy

Way to sell yourself. And in the previous post you mentioned the Time Zone. If I remember correctly you are in Texas so you are the same time zone as I am.

All serious kidding aside, above all else, (and granted what's funny to us personally, doesn't always translate into something we can relate to others,) we all have those experiences that give us pause to laugh at ourselves and acknowledge the humor in the human condition. Especially after loosing an arm or a leg or more.

I have or had a friend once who is on a sip-and-puff power wheelchair, "Dave," and he really amazed me with his attitude. Dave couldn't do much with his body except a little shoulder shrug and then of course there were his facial expressions.

In the early days, Dave and I fought on the same side (for truth and justice) and I am not sure what happened but, (in my opinion) and that of a great many more of his former friends, we came to the conclusion that he sold us all out and joined the good old boys club. (And much like our sitting president, I am sure he thought he was doing the right thing.)

I moved on both emotionally and literally. When last I saw him - it was clear - the distance he established between himself and others was taking its toll. I hate to feel sorry for anyone especially someone in a wheelchair. We all hate pity don't we? I miss my friendship with him and his good company.

It's strange how a little politics can change us and drive us further away from the people we love and care about - I'm not sure why I am sharing this and it wasn't my intention to draw on this particular memory, but I suppose everything we do - hopefully we can draw a lesson from and as long as we have the capacity to think and consider, but mostly feel - as I learned first from this former friend of mine - in the end all that we have is our attitude. Thank you Dave for teaching me that so that I can share it with others and keep it close to my heart and center when I am on the road and maybe it appears I am so far down the road, I don't know whether I am coming or going - but still have some semblance of humanity about me and still have the capacity to care about others and be respectful to them where ever I go, whomever I meet.

Since we are already off topic, I might have some questions for you, pogoboy. I mentioned at the Round Rock Amputee site that I am considering moving to Texas. I have friends and family there but they aren't very knowledgeable about wheelchair accessibility and other amputee issues.

I am considering moving to Texas.

Texas??? :unsure:

Yes, where would you suggest I go? I'm in for it now.

Lesley, I'd appreciate your help. I might be wrong but I'm fairle sure pogoboy can't tell me where to shop for skirts!

Lesley, I'd appreciate your help. I might be wrong but I'm fairle sure pogoboy can't tell me where to shop for skirts!

DF, is there no escape from the dreaded SHOPPING :lol:

Mike (a shopping free zone)

Oh, I almost forgot to mention - Please don't ban me just yet!  I'm not really so talented and I'm much older now so really I've practically lost all of my charm, (that is if I ever had any in the first place.)  I do enjoy a good bit of humor now and then and I haven't even picked up a saber in quite a while.

pogoboy

Ok ... He stays :lol: :lol:

DF, is there no escape from the dreaded SHOPPING :lol:

Mike (a shopping free zone)

I'm not that interested in shopping but I do have to buy clothes. You aren't suggesting I run around naked are you? We have laws against that.

You aren't suggesting I run around naked are you?

Would I ever :)

BAD BOY! Okay, it's in the 40's and raining here but I'll give it a go. If someone would just start that all amputee nudist colony in a nice, warm climate! That way you could have the sun and the MOON!

Pogoboy

Tried to find your webpage on the net but unfortunately computer tells me page cannot be displayed. How do we view your page? My partner and I are knew to all this - he is a hand amputee - what is R-AKA and HPHD?

Thanks Pogoboy

Suzy & John

Hi Suzy and John

There is a whole list of abbreviations and disabled jargon here, then go to the "Glossary of Terms" page. There was also a thread some time ago on this site about the same thing. Maybe 4 or 5 months ago....?

By the way, I couldn't pull up Pogoboy's web site either :huh: .....kept on giving me a timeout error.

Ally

There was also a thread some time ago on this site about the same thing. Maybe 4 or 5 months ago....?

Yeah, Marcus has been slacking and not keeping it up to date :P :P

Since we are already off topic, I might have some questions for you, pogoboy. I mentioned at the Round Rock Amputee site that I am considering moving to Texas. I have friends and family there but they aren't very knowledgeable about wheelchair accessibility and other amputee issues.

I just happened to see a really cool video on PBS about the transportation plan for the I-35 corridor and it looks like there's a light rail system in the works to be built between Austin and I think it was Leander (as the terminus.) I don't remember how far south the rail will extend and I don't think there's even been any ground breaking on it yet.

Not to discourage anyone from moving here, (central Texas,) but it's already pretty crowded and in my opinion, it's a whole lot easier to get around in Houston even with more people because there are more options to travel east and west as well as north and south.

In and around Austin, your options are limited, although they are trying to come up with solutions to move the people around.

I don't really differentiate between opportunities for amps and mobility-impaired persons (in general.) There's all kinds of wheelchair sports basketball, tennis, fencing, lots of good roads to go cycling or handcycling. All kinds of waterways - rivers and lakes so if you like acquatic sports... In the general area we have two constant temperature springs that stay quite cool in the summer. San Marcos River and Barton Springs. Barton Springs is located in Zilker Park in the middle of Austin and there's a great hike and bike trail that is always being used and full of people, dogs, fresbies, and kites.

If you like music, there's all types of bands playing around town and in neighboring cities.

It gets really hot here in the summer and it almost never snows. We have tornados and occassionally some tropical storms, but mostly we are almost always on the verge of another draught.

Let me know what other info I might be able to provide you about the area.

pogoboy