Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
pogoboy

Travel in Europe by train in a wheelchair

Hi Suzy and John

There is a whole list of abbreviations and disabled jargon here, then go to the "Glossary of Terms" page.  There was also a thread some time ago on this site about the same thing.    Maybe 4 or 5 months ago....?

By the way, I couldn't pull up Pogoboy's web site either :blink: .....kept on giving me a timeout error.

Ally

My sincere apologies for the page loads or lack there of. I don't know what the problem is either and sometimes it times out on me too. I suppose it's time for me plunk down some bucks and launch a "proper" new website. (I've been wanting to do this for a long time so that I can stream some video on wheelchair fencing.)

HPHD hemipelvectomy hip disarticulation.

R-AKA Right above the knee amputation

I finally took my laptop into the shop and will try to check in as I am able to post or reply.

Sincerely,

pogoboy

Although I love the snow I do not want to deal with it from a wheelchair or with my leg if I ever get the thing. My doctor won't let me drive so I need reliable public transportation as backup if a ride is not available. Looks like Austin is out of the running.

What I was amazed by in France on the trains was the height of the trains above the stations (Lille and Paris)...They have a special wheelchair lift to enable the disabled person access to the train. ALl in all I found the French to be pretty on the ball on the trains at least, but when it came to any other aspect such as dropped kerbs, shopping centre access etc they faired far worse. Brussels was another place similar to France in respect of wheelchair access. What tickels me is that in the UK we seem to be fairly wc friendly 9apart from the odd or exempt place) But in other EU countries they seem to be able to get away with their lack of disabled friendly acces for some reason

Thanks Dabbit. I am off the Paris for the new year celebrations. We are going on Euro star and I did not know whether or not to use the chair. I have been having a bad time with leg fittings and dont think I will be able to walk far. But if the trains are as good as you say I think I will definitely take the chair.

Rachel

Oh My Goodness Pogoboy!! Ever think about moving to Minnesota? I think I'm in LUST!!! B)