Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Cat

Pride

Hiya everyone,

Thought you might like to look at this.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/st...55E2862,00.html

A good article about unsung heroes of Australia.

What it doesn't tell is that one of our own......Mel......was nominated for one of these awards but sadly didn't win her catergory.

She is gonna kill me for this but she wasn't going to tell anyone. I only found out last week myself.

Despite not winning she gets to carry the Baton for part of it's trek from England to Melbourne in the lead up to the Commonwealth games here next year.

I hear the uniform they get to wear is super sexy :huh:

Sounds like a pretty good excuse for more "shots" if you ask me. :D :lol:

Cat

Stunning post Cat. It's so important that we recognise the ordinary people who make a difference. They're often forgotten. And typically, if you add up all the little day-to-day things they do, they far outweigh a 'famous' person doing only one spectacular thing.

Mel - Well done girl!!!!! I, for one, am very glad that Cat let us know, risking sudden death and all. Awesome. You should be proud. And smiling. :)

Oh, and Cat, what's a "little ripper"?

MEL!!!! :o What an achievement to be even nominated for one of those awards! :D

I'm glad also that you'll be carrying the baton for the trek from England to Melbourne for the Commonwealth Games. Don't suppose you'll be doing the carrying in England, will ya?! ;)

Well done!

Cat, thanks for posting about this. If our friends can't be proud FOR us, who the hell will??! :blink:

Mel, don't harm Cat. There's laws against that you know. :lol:

Thanks for sharing Cat. :) Even if you do get a whooping!! :blink: ;)

Mel, That's wonderful to have been nominated for those awards and you should feel very proud of yourself, just as many here are proud of you!! :D

Good Job... B)

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Thanks Cat for sharing this with us. Wow Mel!! You should be thrilled to have been rewarded like this. I know Cat is very proud and so are all of us!

Lesley

Errrr......little ripper is Oz speak.

If someone does something outstanding it's like saying "You're wonderful"

Also can be teamed with the word "Bloody"......"you bloody little ripper".....and some other words too :blink: ......but this is a family show so I can't tell you what they are.

Thanks Guys, Cat I promise not to kill you :P

I'm blushing; it was an honour. I made the finals which was terrific, it was best out of three in all 10 categories and I think there were about 1100 entries so I guess to get that far was pretty cool. It would have been great to win mainly because of the publicity it would have bought to Limbs (Our organisation).

However, having said that listening to the stories on the day; I was a total mess and would have been useless making a speech smouthered by running mascara.

The baton thingy is really cool-haven't found out the details except for the fact that it weighs 1.5k and I need to be able to walk 500m in 6 minutes. So, guess who's going to the gym from now on :ph34r::blink::angry: Oh and the uniform is totally stunning-NOT

I hate the gym-maybe the pool!

I hate the gym-maybe the pool!

... or you and Cat could sit a mile from the nearest toilet. Crack open a few bottles of Aussie Red then wait for nature to take it's course and see who makes it first :P :P :P

Congratulations on getting as far as you did and we expect to see pictures of the baton event (Cat get the camera warmed up) :)

Muz quite possibly that's more my style-however I won't win that race either! Reckon I'd need jet propultion on the w'chair

Sounds like quite an honor, Mel....and you weren't even going to tell us!

Reckon I'd need jet propultion on the w'chair

Better eat a few Ozzie burgers as well ... the beetroot should do the trick :D

Okay, I give up....what's beatroot :blink:

:D It's a like a turnip, but it's purply/red. And it stains you forever and ever.

It doesn't taste like much on it's own (they get boiled), but if you shred it or slice it, and 'pickle' it with vinegar and sugar - it's a totally yummy salad on it's own.

Did I mention that it stains you forever and ever??

... and if you're an Aussie you slice it and put it in burgers. Even McDonalds sell them :blink:

And yes it does stain ... inside and out. I used to eat a lot if it when I was a kid. The first time you do red pee it scares the crap out of you ... which of course is even worse :lol:

Muz I reckon you'd be hard pressed to find a beetroot in Macca's.

I don't like it that much but it is very popular.

Isn't it interesting what people from different coiuntries eat. Both times I have been overseas I have been surprised at the variety of taste. I still can't work out why the Americans spoil good chocolate by teaming it with peanut butter. :blink:

Okay, we eat beets. Know them well. Know they're a root - just didn't put the two together. Thanks.

Choclate and peanut butter - oh my god - have you never had a Reese's?

Reeses!!!.....YUK

(hides :blink: )

Double YUK and why would you wreak good peanuts-totally weird Mate! That's just not normal behaviour.

Muz you can only get beet in your burger at Hungry Jacks-better known in your neck of the woods as Burger King! Oh and the old faithful Fish & chip shop!

Muz you can only get beet in your burger at Hungry Jacks-better known in your neck of the woods as Burger King! Oh and the old faithful Fish & chip shop!

I stand corrected (I think). It probably was Hungry Jacks that I tried it in when I was in Sydney (the City that is before your mucky minds run amok :)). I prefer them to McD's. Only other time I'd had one was from a chip wagon outside the dockyard at Fremantle. It didn't mix very well with the beer :lol:

Double YUK and why would you wreak good peanuts-totally weird Mate! That's just not normal behaviour.

But Vegemite is normal? And yes I've tried it so I speak from experience. YUK back at ya, but I love you all anyway!

But Vegemite is normal?

:lol: In SA it's called Marmite - but it's the same thing. And the kids here virtually grow up on it.....and it's in almost every kitchen.

I remember when I was backpacking through Europe, it was the only thing the Ozzies and Kiwis would ask friends at home to post.

Hehehe, us poor penniless travellers lived on vegemite and pockets of potatoes. Perhaps if we had spent less money on beer we would have eaten a bit better.....

:P