Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sanicki

World Series!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I just wanted to share my excitement.........

My home team, The Chicago White Sox, are going to the World Series!!!!!!!!! I am feeling sooooooooooooooo freakin wonderful right now. :D

Linda

Well done. But as an englishman shouldn't that be the American series?

ONLY JOKING :lol:

Well done again

Best wishes Mike.

Congrats Linda :D

I watch the series every year and last year supported Boston and have been following Chicago all this season......hope they win. Good luck.

Cat

Congratulations! Best of luck for Chicago..!

Though I am quite ignorant about some sporting events.

Help me out here... we are talking baseball, right?? :blink:

Yeah baseball Afet

Being an Angels fan, you understand my cynicism here. :blink:

But I congratulate the ChiSox on going to the Series. They haven't won since 1917. They haven't even thrown a series since 1919! And, as I recall, the Dodgers beat them the last time around, so the So Cal connection is there anyway, I guess.

Regardless of who the NL sends, I think it is time for the South Side to start cheering. Make room on the bandwagon, Linda!

But I really miss old Comisky Park...

-m-

Ok Sports Update............................

Sox have taken the first two games in the series!!!!!!!

I can't tell you how proud I am of my team! The weather was terrible. 42 & pouring rain. :blink: Didn't matter....Chicago has baseball in late October & we're pissing our pants happy about it! :P

The game last night had Konerko whacking a Grand Slam giving us a 6 - 4 lead! The game was tied going into the bottom of the ninth. Then Scott Podsednik hit his first home run...not just in the series ,his first home run of the season!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a feeling. A game winning.. tie breaking....World Series.... FIRST HOME RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It can't get any better than that. :D

Next three, in Houston. Atleast my guys will be warm. :)

Linda

True, a home win would be cool. People would go absolutely nuts! :huh: Still, I think they'll take it in four. Astros do have one thing I like about the team....Andy Pettitte, pitcher. I don't think I ever paid that close attention before. ;)

Linda

Linda--

I'm not proud to say this :( , but I lost track of what was going on in the World Series since the St. Louis Cardinals lost to the Astros. I'm happy for you and your White Sox for their wins! :)

CONGRAT!!!

Patti

Thanks Patti,

I knew you were allright. Then I checked your profile out & found another reason to like ya....my birthday is March 18, 1962! No wonder we agree. :blink:

Can't blame you for not following the series once your team is out. But following your team in the series gives just cause to have a couple of beers & enjoy the game! ;)

Linda

I don't watch much baseball, football's my game, but anyways, I'm definitely cheering for your team Linda!! They're off to a GREAT start and I hope they win, b/c its been such a looooooooooong time in coming!!! :D

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

post-7-1130285091.gif

Linda--

It's a small world isn't? ;)

Have a cold one for me, would ya? :blink: Go CARDS! I mean White Sox!! : :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

:wub:

Patti

So anyway, why is it called the World Series? Does anyone other than the US enter? can they? is it an International thing? If so why is it played between clubs instead of countries?

I'm quite serious by the way... I REALLY don't understand, can anyone enlighten me?

Wow Linda--

What a game last night! B) Congrats! :D It was a long game--14 endings, but your team did it... 7-5 :o B)

Go White Sox! :D :D

Patti

Although all the teams are from the states there are two divisions, the American League and the Nationak League. The winners of those two divisions play in the World Series. The Chicago White Sox play for the American League. I live in Chicago and finally have my team in it to win. Chicago also has a team in the National League, the Cubs.

Although all the teams are from the states there are two divisions, the American League and the Nationak League. The winners of those two divisions play in the World Series. The Chicago White Sox play for the American League. I live in Chicago and finally have my team in it to win. Chicago also has a team in the National League, the Cubs.

thankyou 'fool... ;) glad someone realises I'm not joking...

So over how many games is the World Series fought? or is just one game as there's only two teams?

Sorry for sounding so think but it really is alien to me... your help is appreciated.

thankyou 'fool... ;) glad someone realises I'm not joking...

So over how many games is the World Series fought? or is just one game as there's only two teams?

Sorry for sounding so think but it really is alien to me... your help is appreciated.

I'm sure you're not pulling my leg! They play the best out of 7 and we've already won the first 3 games!

If you want to abbreviate my name, could you please call me df instead of fool? Thanks.

Back in the early days of Major League Baseball (MLB) in the States, there was only one league with 6 or 8 teams. Then a second league formed and the parity between them was pretty good. So in the early 1900s someone got the brilliant idea for the two leagues to meet to see who would be the champions of baseball. In those days this was the only time that teams from one league played the teams from the other one.

But, being prone to hyperbole, the organizers dubbed the thing the "World Series." Remember this was when everybody lived large!

Now MLB has expanded to include a Canadian team. There used to be two but one relocated this year. The Toronto team did win the Series 2 years in a row, which made it the international event that the name implies, but still not as multinational as one would expect in this global age.

The format of the series has changed somewhat. It used to be the 2 teams with the best regular season records (1 from each league) would meet. Although it has usually been a best 4-of-7 series, there were some early years where they played best 7-of-9. As the leagues expanded and formed divisions, there were playoff games added to see who would represent each league.

So in the 2005 Series, each team has (in the post-season) won a best 3-of-5 series and a best 4-of-7 series against another team in its own league to get to the Big Dance.

Some trivia that might explain DF's enthusiasm: in Chicago there is a National League team (the Cubs) and the American League team (the White Sox.) And in Chicago, one is either a Cub fan or a Sox fan, and NEVER both! The Sox last went to the Series in 1959, and lost. Before that they appeared in 1919, but that Series was plagued by scandal. They last won a Series in 1917 -- a long time to wait for the long-suffering fans.

By the way, the National League team, the Houston (Texas) Astros, had never been to the Series before this year. They have been in existence since 1961.

I hope this is not more than you asked, and that you are still awake. Kind of makes it easy to keep tabs on Celtic and United, right?

Peace.

-m-

Thanks for that VS... sorry df... I thought you'd get the joke.... you know.... 'fool

Anyway... I heard on the news this morning that the Sox won the best of 7 series.... so my question was answered...

Cheers again..