Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
JohnnyV

Avoiding Negative Vibes/Taking On Energy Of Others

Avoiding Negative Vibrations

Taking On The Energy Of Others

There are times when you may find that being around certain individuals or groups of people leaves you with feelings of discomfort. It may be that spending time with a particular friend feels draining or that dealing with a specific coworker exhausts you. Being around toxic or angry people is also draining. And you may even find that being surrounded by a crowd of people lowers your energy levels rather than perks you up. This is not that unusual. Each of us radiates energy and is capable of being influenced by the energy of other people. It is important to learn how to shield yourself, so you don't unknowingly take on someone else's energy. While some people know how to instinctively protect themselves from being adversely affected by energy, most of us need to discover and practice the technique that works best.

There are a number of ways to avoid being affected by people's energy. Shielding is one preventative technique you can use. Center yourself and envision being enveloped in a cocoon of loving and protective light. This protective layer should allow you to consciously regulate the energy around you. The intent to shield oneself is all you need for this technique to work. You can even create a trigger word to assist you in quickly creating a shield. Say this word each time you create a new shield, until the word and the shield become automatically associated in your mind. If you run into a person whose energy you find draining, you may want to cleanse your own energy field after your encounter. Sage, cold showers, singing, mineral water baths, spending time in nature, and a simple break to recharge are all ways to accomplish this.

While it is important to know how to shield yourself from energy, there are those energies that you may not want to shut out. The energy of laughter from a newborn baby, the feeling of joy radiating from someone in love, and the frequency of calm emanating from an enlightened teacher are just some of the energies coming from others that you may want to have around you.

Want more DailyOM?

JohhnyV,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and some of your methods to keep us on the positive side of our energy meters. I have been thinking lately about relationships and how they can affect us and even as you said when we are out and about in a crowd. Even this can be pretty overwhelming at times.

We all have experiences in our lives that trigger powerful emotions and the things we associate them with – well – the sooner we learn to recognize the causes – the better we are able to cope and hopefully master our responses.

I am 46 now and cannot say that I am completely immune to the din of the crowd or their cacophony of emotions that swirl around us like so many eddies and currents and counter-currents. I love the water and I am a great swimmer, but I have a healthy respect for it just like I do for masses of people, for they will surely drown or asphyxiate us if we don’t occasionally come up for air and/or learn to tread water as needed.

(I haven't shared this in the forum yet.) When I was 14, my father died quite suddenly due to a misdiagnosed deep vein thrombosis that resulted in a pulmonary embolism and coronary on Oct 11, 1974.

The memories of that day are still rather cloudy. Only a few things stand out - like the prevailing feeling of discomfort and irritability that clung to me like wet clothes throughout the day. And when I arrived home, I couldn’t quite understand why there were so many cars parked along the street, in front of my house and in the driveway.

There, was my sister and some of her friends sitting on the lawn. The green of the grass seemed cooler and inviting, but I didn’t stop and I continued walking toward the front door. Somehow these were pieces of a puzzle that my mind couldn’t quite fit together and it only served to irritate and confuse me further. When I entered the house, it seemed darker and much more crowded, than usual. It was full of people I knew and people I didn’t know. All I could think of, was, “Where is my mother?” and “What are all these people doing here?”

I saw my mother and began to make a beeline toward her when I was intercepted by Mrs. [buchany.] I could hear her words, but I couldn’t associate them with her lips moving although she spoke softly and deliberately to me. I‘m not sure that my mind could wrap around the idea – but somehow I already knew what she was going to say –“Your father is dead!”

I flashed back to earlier that morning and the last view that I had of my father down the hall, getting ready for work. He was in shadow and I could only see his silhouette and hear him coughing and I thought to myself even then, that he didn’t seem quite well. Now everything made sense in the most horrible way and it was as if I was under water and had to get to the surface immediately – I was out of breath. I couldn’t breathe! I ran out of the house and down the street to the park and my swing where I often went to seek safety and gather my thoughts. This time was very different and I had already begun to spin an elaborate fantasy where my father had really gone, no doubt on some kind of clandestine operation in defense of our country. I felt the breeze I generated with my each and every pull and push of the metal chains that now I clung to for their safety and rhythm that they generated – bringing my heartbeat to an acceptable pace – calming me at least for the moment.

Long before I became disabled – I suppose I was a wreak and it’s been a slow recovery for me throughout my life, knowing full well, there are so many experiences that I never shared nor will ever share with my father. It’s molded me into the person that I am today.

I am much better with crowds now and occasionally enjoy a good major league basketball or baseball game. The things we take for granted and/or bury just beyond our consciousness, these are the things we have to learn to acknowledge and watch out for – especially when they trigger responses. We all have emotional scars and a reaction based on our own individual histories and it all has some impact on who we are and how we deal with life.

I am a glass is half-full sort of guy and although I have some dark streaks in my past, I do feel that the dimensions of my personality and my character are only that much deeper and richer for my life’s experiences. It’s o.k. that we are not invincible, that we are human and suffer the human condition, but also there is so much beauty and uniqueness in each and every one of us – and it gives me great hope and pleasure to experience this too – especially when it’s least expected.

I wish each and every one of you a good and safe journey – as we are all special and have the capacity for all the things that make life worth living…

Mario Rodriguez aka: pogoboy

Mario, that was an exceptionally good post.

I'm sorry for your loss, the loss you suffered so early on in your life.

Thank you for sharing with us, and for inviting us into your world. :)

Thank you for sharing that with us, Mario. You express yourself beautifully.

Mario, that was very brave and honest. I can relate to a lot of what you said, properly. And I am sure some other people can too. Thank you.

Ally