Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
eddie103

ACA Conference 2006

A proposed thought for next the ACA’s convention in Minneapolis, June 2006:

All entities of this board who do make their way there…………….wear a T shirt or perhaps a baseball cap with your name on it……..like…….eddie103….HipHop………….Just Thumbs…etc. followed by your country underneath!

It would make a great pic for all.

Thoughts / suggestions anyone???? How about colours (Canadian spelling)…….????

ED

Not a bad idea Ed.

I'll be the one with the artificial leg :lol:

*sigh* I will still be paying off my knee to the bank. :(

Maybe 2007.....

Hi DF,

The 2006 conference will be June 15-17th, at the Sheraton Bloomington Hotel in Minneapolis, MN.

If you go to the thread titled, "ACA 2005 Conference Review" (or something close to that!) you'll find some discussion, at the end, regarding the upcoming conference. OR, you can go to the http://www.amputee-coalition.org website, and follow the menu on the left hand side. Although, there isn't much info there, as of yet, but keep checking.

JohnnyV posted that the hotel rooms will be $99. plus tax/per night. Early registration fee will be $210., and jumping up to $310. about a month prior to the conference.

Hope this helps!

Blessings,

Cheri

Ed-

I'm sorry to say it, I, too, will be paying on my art. leg to the bank. :blink: Yes, maybe 2007--might be alittle better for me. I'm looking forward toward the day that I met you all in person. :D

Patti

Being that I am from these here parts (MN that is), if anyone needs any info not found on the ACA website, shoot them my way. I don't live IN the Cities but close enough that I'm always driving there for concerts, theater, Sushi, etc. . . Plus I have a couple siblings living there. :)

Just a couple that I can think of.

How is traffic, driving in Minneapolis? And, what it the weather usually like in June?

We are looking forward to coming there this spring..

I don't post on the board often, but I try to check when I can...

I liked the idea of a hat or shirt to identify people from the boards...it sure would make it easier..

Higgy / LBK

Hello Higgy:

I-494 can be a turd when it's rush hour but getting to Mall of America (for example) you'd only be on it for 5 miles.

I'm not sure if this link will work for you but: http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.ad...c=&2s=&2z=55425 This is the directions from the hotel to the Mall.

The highway system is very nicely laid out and the roads are well marked so as long as you have a set of directions in hand, you won't have a problem getting around. It just might not be as "quickly" as you'd like at certain times of the day.

Hmmmmmm . . . June . . . . What can I say? It can be short-wearing weather or not. But after a winter, we Minnesotans are in shorts as soon as the temp hits 65 F so what does that tell ya? It would be odd and for not too long if the temps were in the 80's F. July and August are our "hot" months when the humidity nearly kills you. June should be a pleasant month for the meeting. I'd have long pants and a couple of shorts just in case. But for sure check the forecast before packing. :)

Hope this helps!!

Amy

I found this on the internet . . .

Minnesota Weather - Just the facts, ma'm

Tara (TR) recently confessed her belief that it is winter in Minnesota all year long. Don't worry, Tara, you're not the only one who thinks that.

When I was recruiting people nationwide to move to Minnesota, my biggest response was "it's too cold there" or "isn't it winter all year long there?"

No. We have a mild/wet spring. We have hot summers. We have crisp, warmish falls. We have cold winters -- winter is a few months long, just like any other season.

Minnesota is a tall state, so the weather in the south (where Minneapolis/St. Paul are) is usually different from the northern area (Duluth). In fact, most national weather maps show all of Minnesota's temperature being that of a way north town called International Falls. It is usually about 20 degrees warmer in the southern part of the state. That's why people think it's so cold here, I think, b/c the whole state is usually represented with the temperature of one of the most northern towns....which is hours away from Minneapolis. Twin Cities weather is similar to Chicago (I've lived in both).

December, January, February: Pretty damn cold. Usually there's a week or so in January when it doesn't get above zero. Usually January and February (and early March) are anywhere from 10-20 degrees. I'd say most of our snow is during this three month period too. However, March starts showing some 50 degree days and the snow usually is gone at the end of March.

March, April, May: March is still winter for a majority of the month, but like I said, you start to feel spring by the end of March. April is usually very rainy. May is when it starts to feel like summer is coming. May temps range anywhere from 50 on a chilly day to maybe about 80.

June, July, August: Summer. Humid. Hot. We have 10,000 lakes, so it gets pretty humid and there are lots o' mosquitoes. Temps are usually anywhere from 70s - 100s.

Especially August. Gets really hot.

September, October, November: Most of September is still pretty summerish. Starts to cool off at night, though. October is sweatshirt/jeans weather, probably my favorite. November is an in-between month, like March & May. It can be warmish and it gets cold around Thanksgiving. It's about the time we start to wear heavier coats again.

There -- is that cleared up now?? IT'S NOT WINTER HERE ALL YEAR LONG!! We have two kinda cold months (November, March); 3 cold months (Dec-Feb); (3 mild months Apr, May, Sept) and 3 hot months (June-Aug).

Okay - I needed to get that off my chest b/c it's actually kind of a pet peeve of mine.

WHO'S fibbing???? ;) Well, OK maybe when the temp hits 60 you'll see shorts. LOL

I was going to mention the hotel shuttle but in my own personal experience, they never run late enough cause I'm usually at the Mall to party. B) The place is too big for me to actually shop there (my leg can't take that many miles). BTW the comedy club no longer exists. But there is a great comedy club in the warehouse district (in Minneapolis).

I'm sooooo pumped about being able to make it the next meeting. I'm dying to see the lastest products up close and personal!!

The food is plenty hot here!!! My German/Sweden raised tongue can't handle how hot the "hot" food is!!! :P

Thanks for the info... It sounds like home pretty much... I live in central Illinois.

As for moving around, I think that we will drive since it isn't that far.. After driving in Dallas, and Nashville, it sounds pretty easy...I usually don't have a problem, I'm part homing pigeon, living in the country.My husband being Harley owner and my step son being a Harley mechanic, we usually take the time to find the nearest Harley dealer.

As for me, I should feel right at home. I usually can't wait for the shorts and I'm sure that by June, in Illinois I will aready be in them...

I know that Brenda, JohnnyV, Nann, Cheri, Karen and HipHop all got together at the luncheon last year...so, maybe we will get the opportunity to meet.....

Like you, I look forward to the conference... I think everyone does...

As for the Mall... I doubt my leg would take it either... Might give it a try though..

Higgy

Hello Higgy:

Yes, SE MN is very more similar to Illinois weather than we are to Northern MN weather.

I've added some links to the closest Harley places:

http://www.tchd.com/

http://www.stpaulhd.com/

http://www.tcharley.com/

We will meet FOR SURE at the meeting! I'm looking forward to that annual lunchean that's been started.

I emailed the Mall this morning to let them know we were coming and to ask for rates on their wheelchair rentals and anything else they may have to accomodate us and am still waiting for a reply. As soon as I hear something, I'll pass it along. Or you can be like me and swing into one of the many bars/pubs and slam a couple to numb yourself. :P J/K (sorta) As long as I keep moving I'm fine. It's when I stop to browse that my leg starts acting up. I asked my pros. about that and he said that when I am walking quickly, I keep "muscles" flexed and don't sink as low into my prosthesis as I do when I'm standing and so am not putting as much weight on the end of my leg. Whatever the reason, I just know the effect. KEEP MOVING or sit down!!! :)

Amy

Amy,

Thank you for the links to the Harley Dealers... To do that so quick, do you ride by chance?

I know exactly what you are trying to say....I am the same way... I go like that but when I stop I stop. I can't take the standing around... I had my back operated on in 1995, and that was also an after effect from that. However, this old body just don't take it since it took on a Buick...my leg was only part of my injuries at the time..

I am a LBK by the way.. how about you?

One other really fast question, since you are so familiar with the area... What is the dinning situation like? Other than spicy... by that, I mean, in that area, are there very many places to eat, maybe in walking distance, or do you have any idea? (That question would be for the exercise. :rolleyes: )

It's nice to be able to ask someone familiar with the area such things...

Looking forward to meeting at the ACA conference too....

It's always fun to meet someone that you have gotten a chance to converse with online...

Higgy

I tried posting this last night but the system went down. DRATS!

Hello Higgy:

No, I don't ride a bike with a motor. Thought about it though. I've got enough expensive passions then to add a motorcycle to it. I want to buy a kayak this spring as well as a dry suit for my scuba diving plus 2 skydiving trips so everything else will have to wait. :D

As far as getting those links, I consulted with my best friend for answering all my questions, Google.com. :P Then I looked for the locations closest to where the conference will be.

Give me a couple days for the restaurants. There are a ton of them. However, the only one that comes to mind, in that area, is a place claiming to serve authentic Australian food. We should have our friends from Oz go there and tell us if it's true. B) I typically dine in Minneapolis at Japanese or Tai restaurants (places I can't get in my home town) but I KNOW there are places by our hotel. Tomorrow I'm booked solid and so after work, on Monday, I'll refresh my memory on what's there.

I am a left symes (through the ankle) amputee. Speaking of which, my leg's killing me! I think I had too much sodium today and the pressure has me fidgeting all over the place so I'd best get to bed and yank this bad boy off! OUCH! Oh, the joys!

Take care!

Amy

How about Mexican resturants Amy? Being a California boy, born just 22 miles north of the Mexican border, (San Diego), this has always been a staple. We find many of them here in Missouri now. I didn't know if they had reached the north/midwest yet.

Thank you for being our unofficial guide. My wife and I do hope to make it there this year. We missed Dallas last year.

I intend to be there. I will enjoy meeting some you. For those of you who have never attended a conference, I've been to two, there isn't a lot of spare time. There is always something you want to see or attend. Of course you're free to go anywhere you want when you want, but why attend the conference if you don't plan to be there. Just a thought.

I will arrive on Wed PM due to flight schedules. Thurs night is usually free. Friday night is always the theme night party and is too fun to miss. There are many classes held throughout the day on both Thur and Fri. Sat proved to be a down day. Things were going on, but nothing that really interested me. Many people were catching flights out.

It is funny to see the faces of the locals when they see 800 amputees descend upon their city.

Hope you all attend.

I am really excited for it! I was disappointed when I couldn't come up with the money to go last year. I'm only about 4 hours away this year. I've never been to one before and I am so looking forward to seeing those 800 amputees descend upon the place! I haven't even been able to find one in this town to get together with and talk to! It's a good thing I have you guys.

Carol

Here is the response I got from the Mall:

Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 3:44 PM

To: Amy

Subject: June 06 convention

Amy;

Thanks for connecting with me in reference to your upcoming Convention. Wheelchairs at Mall of America are complimentary. Electrical scooters are rented at a cost of $25.oo for as long as you are in the building. Unfortunatelly, this service is provided on the first comes, first serves basis. If you need more detailed information, please call our Guest Services department at 952-883-8868.

Regards,

Millie Philipp

Mall of America

Tourism Account Executive

Last year was my first time and I thought it was a wonderful experience. I think it is the absolute best thing I have done for myself since becoming an amp. I am looking forward to next year in Minneapolis and to meeting the wild and crazy Aussies as well as everyone else from the forum.

Who's in charge of the T shirts? Ed???

Mel is im charge of the wet tshirts :lol:

Thanks so much for all the info Amy. It's hard going from all the over here and not knowing squat about where you are going.

Your a treasure :D

OK, I'm a day late but not a dollar short. :P I'd forgotten about all the meatballs I had to make last night for my work's Holiday potluck. Uff Duh!

I've attached a word document that I hope works. Never tried it before so am not sure how it will display. We shall find out. They are listed in order of distance from the hotel. Then I added strictly Mexican restaurants after that (also in distance order). With the exception of the Australian restaurant (which was quite good) I haven't eaten at any of these places and so can not recommend any. So sorry!

Thank you Cat and Jim for your kinds words.

I agree with Neal, every conference I've ever been to (none of which were the ACA) never had time to venture out. However, for other family members traveling with you, this may help.

Jim, I'm born and raised Minnesotan (with the exception of a couple years in Wisconsin and 5 in South Dakota) and as far as I can remember, we've always had Mexican restaurants. The question is, are they milder than what you are used to? Can't answer that. You'll have to let me know. :)

If my attachment does not work, I'll add another post with the list pasted into it. Let's see what happens!

Amy