Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Justhumbs

Support Dogs

Hi everyone-- :)

My question, of the day, is how many you heard of a support dog? :blink:

I finally received my dog back in July. His name is Elmo. He's a beautiful black lab. He started his training when he was a small pup around 6 months old. He was place with a couple of women inmates, at one of those local prisons. It was there, he learn his skills to help with the different things I can't do for myself. B) He help me open doors. He picks up items that I drop. He retreive the phone, remotes, his lease. He helps me get can food out of the cabinets or jars out of the frig. He can help get dress if I needed him to. Which I don't. He like to help take of my shoes and socks. He helps me make the bed. He's a great companion. :)

Elmo and I have been going through alot of training to this date. He has his home certification now. :) We are working on his Street certification. That's been going alittle slow. Elmo doesn't like elevators nor grates that is in the street, but we're working through these fears of his. :wub: Once we pass our Street certification he will be able to go just about everywhere with me. We are looking forward to that day.

This Sunday, Elmo will attend his graduation. :D As soon as we get some pictures of Elmo, I will post them. :D :D :D

Take care,

Patti

Elmo sounds gorgeous, Patti! :D And, yes, I'd heard about support dogs.

I don't know what I'd do without a dog as they're such good company, aren't they? Our dog isn't a support dog, but she's well-behaved and she does what she's told and if she doesn't want to do what you tell her, she does it anyway & gives you the most filthy look! :D

The only problem I have with her is that she pulls when she's walking on the leash...unless she's wearing a Head Halter/Halti. She absolutely hated it at first (she probably still does, from the looks she gives you when you put it on her ;)), but when she's wearing it I can take her for a walk, despite the fact that I use crutches.

I can't wait to see Elmo's pictures! :)

Lizzie

Hi Patti - I learned about support dogs about a year ago. I thought they were only ever used for vision impaired people.

I was so impressed by what they are trained to do, and how much help they can be to a physically disabled person.

You're lucky to have one, I believe there aren't too many fully trained support dogs around.

Lovely best friend! And I'm also looking forward to seeing some pics.

Ally

Must say that I am under the same thought as Ally.

The only exposure I ahve ever had to one of these animals was when travelling with another person who was in a chair. She had one of these dogs.

I think that what struck me most was that this dog was her "friend" and family.

ED

Hi Patti,

I have heard about support dogs, as used by physically disabled, visually impared and deaf people. Once saw a documentary about how they are trained and what they can do..Wow!

Dogs are so special and love unconditionally.

I have a chocolate labrador, he's been my constant companion for the last thirteen years but is now very ill and is nearing the end.

I'm sure together you and Elmo will overcome his fears.

Lynne

He help me open doors. He picks up items that I drop. He retreive the phone, remotes, his lease. He helps me get can food out of the cabinets or jars out of the frig. He can help get dress if I needed him to. Which I don't. He like to help take of my shoes and socks. He helps me make the bed. He's a great companion.  :)

I think I'm my wife's support dog :huh: :lol: :lol:

I thought you were her walrus.

Like most people I tend to think of support dogs as only used by the blind (vision impaired or whatever the latest pc term is) but I have heard a few things about them being used in other roles. Look forward to seeing his pics, it'll help dispel the vision of Marcus as a support walrus :blink: :lol:

Hi Patti

O I am so happy to hear your getting your dog which is trained, and that is excellent. It is so good to have an animal who can be your best friend. Awesome and I definitely cant wait to see your pics of the beautiful dog elmo!!!

Lesley

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You would get out of shopping with me looking like that.

Hi Patti,

Can't wait to see pictures of Elmo! How lucky for you to have him (and vice versa!) he sounds like a true gentleman, how he helps you out and all! :)

I think Support Dogs are a great idea, and now that you brought this topic up, I do recall seeing a man in a wheelchair and his support dog on the Dennis Miller show, quite some time ago.

Blessings,

Cheri

Hi Patti, yes, I have heard of support dogs and the wonderful things they can do. It's remarkable how well they can be trained, also being extremely protective of their partner. :) I recall seeing a program, though I can't remember where or when, but then at my age, that's nothing new!! :blink: :lol: Anyways, it was about a person with severe seisures, who had a support dog. This dog could actually tell before the person was going into a seisure, and would ly right across their tummy or whatever, so to try and prevent them from hurting themselves, until someone got there. It was truly amazing to see their dedication. You and Elmo will have a bond there, that nothing or no one can come between and one thing for certain you can always depend on is his unconditional love! :rolleyes: ELMO, yep I like that name and I too can't wait to see his Graduation pics!! :D

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

post-17-1130372847.gif

Hello:

I thought I would update everyone on Elmo's graduation. It was really was really nice. :D So many dogs of all sizes--from Great Dane to Shih Tzu. :o They had a double ceramony. It was for the TOUCH Dogs (Therapy if Unique Canine Helpers) program and Service Dogs. There was 14 dogs from the Touch program and also, 8 from Service dogs program. Elmo seem to be in awwwh with all of those dogs. He was able to see several of his brothers and sisters there. B) The training director promised me, she would send me some pictures that she has taken. Those picture were taken from July 2005 to present. When ever I received them, I will post them for you to see. :)

scan00011sm.th.jpg I'm so sorry that I don't have any more pictures to post. :(

Patti

Elmo is gorgeous Patti.

Please excuse my ignorance and explain what a TOUCH dog is. Are they different from service dogs?

Ally

Are you sure you wouldn't prefer Marcus the helper walrus though? He can do most of what Elmo does, and make prosthetic legs. He's just a bit bad at shopping ... unless its for fish  :P

Muz--- Darn, I was almost sold until you said "He's just a bit bad at shopping ... unless its for fish :P", for I'm a shopaholic. :lol: :lol: I've got to get Elmo train in the world of shoppers, :o because before we know it will be Christmas shopping time again. Yeah! B) I love the Christmas holiday!!

Ally--- I really didn't know how to answer you until I checked it out--I didn't want to misinform you... ;) Basicallly the TOUCH dogs and their abled-bodied handler go to hospitals, nursing homes, and other health care facilities. They are used for assisting the therapist to help promote imrovement for their patients' physical, social, emotional, thinking and intellectual skills. Here is a few examples:

Physical--Helps improve fine motor skills, wheelchair skills and standing balance.

Mental Health--help increase verbal interactions between group members, increases attention skills (i.e., paying attention, staying on task), develops leisure/recreation skills, increases self-esteem, reduces anxiety reduces loneliness.

Educational--help increases vocabulary, aids in long- or short-term memories,

improves knowledge of concepts such as size, color, etc.

Motivational--helps improve willingness to be involved in a group activity,

improve interactions with others, improve interactions with staff and increase exercise.

I hope this explains the difference. :) :)

Lizzie---thank you sooooooooo much. I do think he's gorgeous, but perhap I'm alittle bias.

Patti

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Patti, thanks for posting ELMO'S pic. I must agree, he is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! He looks so proud just sitting there with his hat on, so special. You'll always have a friend at your side and continued good luck with him. ;)

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Hi Patti

Think Elmo looks gorgeous, I have heard about support dogs and the wonderful things they do, they always seem so well trained as well.

Anyway hope you get him in practice for the Christmas shopping.

Have fun together.

Ann

Thank you Sheila and Ann. Elmo is bowing for a the nice things you said about him. B) He told me to tell everyone that he's working real hard on..."how to shop". ;) And he's just finish with that part of training. ;)

I'll keep you all posted on how our shopping trips go.

Patti

Hi Patti & Elmo!! Please tell'em I appreciate the bow and that he's very welcome. I'll bet he's working hard, those support dogs really try their best, to do what is asked of them. I'm sure he'll have it down to a science, before ya know it!! :D

Also, good luck with the shopping spree and yes, by all means, please let us know how things went for the both of you.

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

post-17-1131245391.gif