Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Justhumbs

Support Dogs

Hi Patti

I thought you'd be interested in this news item I've just found:

Taken from The Flint Journal:

'Giddyup'- prosthetic gives puppy leg up

"Rex Miller pressed his thumbs into a plaster cast that enveloped the right leg of Peg the retriever.

The cast will be a guide to help create an artificial leg for 4-month-old Peg, born without the equivalent of a human ankle and without a right paw.

Miller, owner of the Greater Flint Prosthetic Center, has fitted lots of humans with artificial arms and legs but this was a first.

"We've never made a prosthetic leg for a dog before," said Miller, who lost his own right leg trying to jump a train when he was 15.

"She'll be able to walk and run better, but she'll probably always still have a little hitch in her giddyup,"

Creating an artificial leg for a playful puppy has its hazards. The prosthetic could be attached to Peg's leg with a harness or a Velcro-type material. To prevent her from chewing the leg off, the prosthetic will be made of material similar to bulletproof vests.

On Friday, vets with Baker College's training program put Peg under anesthesia and took X-rays to aid Miller in creating the prosthetic. Like Miller, Baker did the work for free because Peg's owner, Carol Beavnier, works for a nonprofit organization.

Beavnier does general training for dogs who are later used as leader dogs for the blind.

Peg eventually will be a therapy dog, for instance, visiting folks in nursing homes, where she's already a big hit, Beavnier said.

"They feel sorry for her, so because of that they love her up a little bit more," Beavnier said.

Beavnier, of Macomb Township, tried to create a homemade artificial leg, using bandages and a plastic cone, but it never worked. So she looked up a Web site for handicapped pets, and a few phone calls later found herself talking to Miller.

"I want people to know this option is out there," Beavnier said.

An artificial leg normally would cost several thousand dollars, Miller said.

Before Peg was anesthetized Friday, she jumped around and wagged her tail, acting like the puppy that she is.

"When she walks and runs, she tries to use her missing leg," Beavnier said. "She loves to hug and kiss and play tug and ball."

Still, Peg can't maneuver a bone in between her paws very well, making it difficult to satisfy her puppy desire to chew.

Hopefully, that won't be a problem when Miller finishes her new leg in a couple weeks."

Lizzie :)

Liizie--

Thank you so much for sharing that article with me! :) Wow-- what a neat thing the vet are doing for that puppy! I really glad I had the opportunity to it.

Patti

Hi to all--

I just wanted to share with you that today is Elmo's 2nd birthday. I thought it would be nice to share his birthday celebration with you. So here's a cake & let's all celebrate! cake0ez.png

Patti

Hi Patti & Elmo:

He's absolutely gorgeous! Happy Birhday Elmo.

Lynne

Hello everyone...

Elmo had a blast on his birthday! Sarah, Jason (Sarah's financee`) and Laura came over Friday. Elmo was soooooo happy to see them! Elmo, also, wanted me thank you for his birthday wishes!! B)

Patti

Our friend a disabled ex vet from the US Army has a support dog or "service dog" as he calls it. He has a paralysed leg and the dog retrieves all the things that Matt cannot manage to do. Another friend of his has a marmoset monkey called "Peter" who get money from the ATM machine, fills the washer/dryer. That is amazing to see.

Suzy--

The support/service dogs are amazing with the things can do. I'm so blessed to have Elmo. Besides the wonderful companionship, he really seems to enjoy helping around the house. Not only does he retrieve items, he, also, opens the doors, get things out of the cabinets, helps take off my legs, helps me make the bed, helps me load the washer & dryer, etc. I'm so glad to hear your friend, Matt has a support dog. He will bring Matt a lot of joy as well as the dog's helpness will aide him in his daily routine. I have hear of the use of monkeys in helping in one's daily routine. I would love some day to be able to it 1st hand.

Thank you so much for sharingthe information with me. Please send Matt my best.

Patti

Hi Patti & Elmo :),

I have to admit my ignorance, before reading your postings I hadn't heard of support/service dogs for anyone other than visually impaired people. Thankyou and Elmo looks gorgeous :)

Julie

I just wanted to share Elmo's hospital visit with Dad. Last Saturday, Ray & I took Elmo to the hospital with to see Dad and to hear what Dad's doctor's had to say. I was so pleased with Dad's reaction to Elmo's visit. Elmo rised up on the side of Dad's bed and began to give Dad kisses on the hand. Dad had a great big smile from ear to ear. We brought Elmo up to the hospital everyday over last weekend. It seem the more Elmo visit, the better Dad started feeling and was less confused.

I have heard of therapy dogs going to hospitals and rehabilation homes to visit with patients. But seeing the love between Elmo & Dad, plus Dad's mental recovery, just admazed me. Dogs, like my Elmo, bring so much joy to sick. I'm just glad that Elmo was able to help bring my Dad's memory back so he can enjoy his time with his family.

Patti

Hi Patti,

I have heard about support dogs, as used by physically disabled, visually impared and deaf people. Once saw a documentary about how they are trained and what they can do..Wow!

Dogs are so special and love unconditionally.

I have a chocolate labrador, he's been my constant companion for the last thirteen years but is now very ill and is nearing the end.

I'm sure together you and Elmo will overcome his fears.

Lynne

Lynne, I am also sorry your dog is sick....I know just how you must be feeling.....just went through :( that last fall. I had a basset (winston). We had to have him put down, as he was in alot of pain. Had a bad hip and back.

He was one of our family and we miss him so much.

(eag)