Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
michelle_bernard

Climate change and prosthetics.

I moved from Winnipeg, Canada to San Diego CA a couple of years ago and I have noticed that my stump has had a lot more problems no matter what I try and do. My prosthetist has told me that it is due to the climate change? It is starting to become bothersome especially since I am at work for 8 hours a day, and trying to keep the liner and skin as clean as possible while at work. Once I get home, it is no big deal because I can just have the leg off, clean it again and let it dry for the night. Has anyone experienced this?

Hi Michelle,

For me a RA/K I find autumn & spring in the uk are my most comfortable seasons.

30+ does get very difficult, as does 10 or minus, all though I'm sure there could be a bit of a acclimatising if I were living in a different climate.

between 20-30 id perfect for me, dry clear air.

But then the moon comes out and everything changes! Some of us just have to live with the planet.

PJ :D

Hi Michelle and welcome to the forum.

We don't get extreme cold here but we do get really hot weather which I hate with a passion. Leg gets very sweaty and uncomfortable. Best trick is to change socks as many times as you need to stay comfy.

Hi Catherine, the socks I use are outside my liner, is that what you mean? I remember my first leg I had to wear socks inside the socket etc...thank you for the welcome :)

sueflayy, I have never had problems with flights...aside from setting off the alarms.

hmmm one thing that I found interesting is that I have been through a couple of earthquakes here. I was walking during 2 of them and it threw off my balance for a good half hour. :rolleyes:

Hi Michelle: :D

I just wanted to welcome you to our family! Have seat and enjoy your visit.

There are so many wonderful people for you to meet.

Patti

Hi Michelle,

Nice to meet you Michelle and welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll find your stay here a pleasant one. :D

Ahhhhh yes, the climate changes, it can be so frustrating at times. :( I've been an amputee going on ten years now and the weather still plays the biggest roll in my pain/sensations. However, over the years I have learned to cope with it better. So I can certainly appreciate what you are going through and it's not very pleasant. For me, the worst of it was before a thunderstorm and in the winter, before a snowstorm, other times in between, but not as bad. I was fortunate though, I didn't have to work, so could take it off when it got to that point. Unfortunately, I never have found much of anything that helped a great deal and I've tried many things. I guess some things we just don't have control over somethings and the weather happens to be one of them. :( Though perhaps others on here may have some good ideas. Of course, most every amputee is different, being what might work for one, may not the other, etc. I wish you the best of luck and if you can find anything that works good, I'd really appreciate knowing, k? Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :D

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Hello Michelle

I must say, even though it's the FIRST thing people ask, change in the weather has never been a problem for me. Maybe I haven't been paying attention (I'm known for that :)), but I really don't think weather extremes make a difference with my stump.

Isn't it strange how we can all be so affected so differently?

Ally

Weather changes make a hugh difference to me... Not so bad in Ireland but remember going to Thailand with my sister and leg (pin system) just falling off in the heat.. Also when we did have our 2 weeks of summer (Irish Summer) I ended up with dreadful heat rash and had to take the leg off til summer was over!!!

Hi Michelle.

I know I am late in replying to your post.

I am in texas, and when the weather changes, my stump acts weird also, you really cant do much, but dont be worried, it happends, and just make sure you dont get too dehydrated.

Lesley

Hi Michelle: Welcome, you'll find wonderful people here.

What I do when it is really hot, I put a "pack of frozen peas" on my socket, and if I have waited too long I take it off and put the frozen peas inside the socket. This cools it off really fast.

Again, welcome

Lynne

I will have to try frozen peas!!!

I think though it has something to do with living so close to the ocean, back in manitoba it was mostly a dry heat during the summers and cold winters, here the air seems quite moist....hopefully in due time my leg will get used to it.

Hi Michelle, my country is summer all year round with humidity above 90% all the time, so i understand how you feel. Try to stay indoors where there is air conditioning to keep cool most of the day. If all else fails, go to the nearest toilet and wipe down the stump with wet tissues....real cooler,hahaha.

Hi Michelle

I'm a Southern California boy who has spent time in Death Valley and other hot areas with my leg and never had any problems that a liberal amount of baby powder wouldn't solve. I now live in Missouri where the weather can get rather humid in the summer, (versus the dry heat of the desert). I especially notice it when I spend the day outdoors in the sun, building or working on my property.

I still wear the Knit Rite wool sock that I have for 17 years, and in the heat of summer find myself occasionaly changing to a fresh one in the middle of the day, after washing and powdering my stump, and going right on. Even this, I don't have to do too much unless I am excessively active that day. I natuarlly change to a fresh sock every night after my shower.

It's the baby powder that makes all of the difference. That keeps the moisture down to a minimum and definitely helps to prevent the blisters. I don't ever change socks without using a liberal amount of it.

Welcome to the forum. Somewhere in all of the posts you should find something that will work for you. Keep asking.

Thanks for the welcome Jim, I will give the baby powder a try.

One slight word of warning. Talc, which I assume is meant by 'baby powder' is in actual fact an abrasive. Although it helps to reduce moisture.

I got told about Silicone Lotion a few years ago and have used that ever since. I now don't have talc, or any need for it.

I get rid of moisture with a hair dryer and use a small amount of Silicone Lotion to don my socket... the lotion drys quite quickly after having served as a lubricant for donning.

I'd recommend giving it a go.

Hi Michelle

I called my pharmacist to see if there was something that I wasn't aware of about baby powder. This was first recommended by the hospital when I was amputated, and has been used in every hospital that I have been in since. (A bunch). For 17 years, it has worked absolutely perfectly for me. He said that it is recommended and manufactured for baby bottoms, and I can't think of anything more sensitive than that

That said, like OneBlueLeg pointed out, (I'm sorry, I don't know your name), there are more than one item on the market that may work just as well or possibly even better. I have no reason to change and experiment with anything else. If you are new at this, you might want to try different things before settling in on what works best for you.

Both of you have a great day.

P.S. Michelle - in the FWIW department (For What It's Worth)

I was born in San Diego and raised up the coast around Santa Barbara. Beautiful country. I've heard it said that San Diego has the most average temperature year round than anywhere else.

It was definitely a lot quieter when I came along there, (1936). People ask me where I want to live today, and I tell them 1950 Southern California. (My neighborhood was from Santa Monica, Malibu to Santa Barbara.) Unfortunately it doesn't exist any more. (1950 that is.) That's why I live in Misssoui. It's almost the way California used to be.

Jim, would I be correct in thinking that you use a socket that doesn't require a liner so that your socks are next to your skin? If that's so the there probably isn't any harm in using talc whereas those of us who use sillicone or similar liners would probably find that talc would cause irritation as it is a mild abrasive. (1 on the mohe's scale - diamond is 10 on the same scale :))

HI Muz

Yes, you are partially correct. Inside my leg socket, is a 1/8" thick cushioned liner socket, and then my 5 ply wool sock next to my skin. I also have new skin in various places on my body that have been opened 8 to 12 times over the years and are real sensitive, like a baby's. The hospital and my doctors told me to keep these powdered also. (Yes, I'm an old grizzled up guy that smells like a nursery). But, if I miss putting the powder on for even a day, I will develop a redness and a rash.

I can't imagine anything abrasive made for new born babies skin. I've tried the gels and such and they are just too messy and greasy for me. (I do use A & D ointment occasionally if I get dry skin in some areas.)

Like someone once said to me, "Different Strokes For Different Folks". Thanks for the input though. All I try to do here is to relate my experiences. I'm one of those Old dogs who are slow to learn new tricks.

Ha!! Maybe I need to get out more. You think?

About 5 years ago I started getting the most revolting heat rash from wearing my prosthesis. But bad. Angry, itchy - to the point of being unbearabel. And there was the nails & blood combo too....

Someone recommended Elizabeth Annes lotion. It was the blue one that hospitals use to 'wash' bedridden patients to prevent bed sores. It has recently gone off the market here in South Africa, and has been replaced by Elizabeth Annes Baby Shampoo - the pink one.

It worked for me.....goes on like a cream, sinks in beautifully, and it calmed my rash better than anything else.

There were times that I ran to my chemist for a cortisone cream - they just mixed it up for me - and that eased my limb also.

But I'm getting confused - are we talking about the leg getting hot and annoyed in the socket on the skin? Or aches and pains from weather changes.....

:huh:

Ally <--- not the brightest button tonight