Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Mandy

My Goal

While chatting with some friends last night they asked me how my plans for learning to ski were going. I was ashamed to admit that other than finding out the nearest disabled ski training school I had done nothing. :rolleyes:

This got me to wondering how I could get motivated and stay on track. Inspired by Brenda's introduction/marathon thread I got the idea for this post. I'm going to stick my neck out and post my progress in this topic.

I think it would be a good idea if we all set ourselves goals and posted updates in this topic to get support from others and also provide some inspiration. Your goal doesn't have to be anything mammoth....just something you can achieve from where you are at the moment in your recovery program (or your life if you are an experienced amp).

So how about it folks?!

Mandy

Mandy,

I think this is a wonderful idea. I would do the same but my goal is to do my marathon and since I already have one thread going am not going to create another. I'll be looking forward to reading about your progress.......... I was getting tired of being the only one to post about myself. :P

Brenda AKA Cheetah.

Hi!

i think this is a great idea. A goal is nothing but a dream until you tell someone about it!! I would love to ride in lance Armstrongs -Ride for the Roses. i am a BKL and a cancer survivor and a big fan. My problem is that at this point in time i can't ride a bike. I was all set to ride this this years race (October) but in Dec. of 2002 i shttered my knee and femer. I have had two operations so far and just went to PT on friday for the first time in weeks. I am glad to say I have not lost any movement I had gained in the past. But still not enough to ride a bike.

i tell other people that this is my goal, to ride a bike, and they kinda laugh, like that isn't a real goal. i then have to explain that I am unable to bend my knee enough to rotate the wheel of the bike. Something so small for others (they don't even think about it) yet so big for me (all i do is think about it). In a couple of months i will have another operation that will hopefully help me reach my goal. i will continue to go to PT and build up my left leg.

i would love to hear about other peoples goals and what they are doing to reach them.

Mandy- even when i had 2 good feet i couldn't ski....scared the you know what out of me!! So you go girl!! let us know how you are doing!!

:lol:

:)

Mandy, I think that's a great idea, posting our goals. I agree SGHAMER, unless one is in our shoes, it's hard for them to understand that those little steps are big to us.

I used to walk a lot, i wasn't a runner at all. And now, especially that the weather has gotten cooler (Texas) I can get out more. I get so frustrated :wub: because i get trier so easily and have to take breaks. My husband :wub: is very supportive and tells me i'm doing good. I guess i expect a lot from myself. Anyone feel like that?

My goals is to walk for at least 30 minutes without taking a break. It might seems small to some, but will be a big accomplishment for me. :P I hop by working out this will also help.

Take care all.

Irene B)

Irene,

That is a great goal. Sometimes we view goals as stupid but in reallity they are not. You had a leg amputated and part of getting on with life and living is setting goals for ourselves. You will accomplish your goal just keep at it.

You Go Girl!!

Brenda

Mandy, I think this is a great thread and a good way we can encourage each other.

Last October, three days before a trip out west, I was diagnosed with a rare soft tissue cancer, synovial sarcoma, and knew that there was a very good possibility that I would loose my leg. Part of the trip was business, but the rest was hiking at Zion National Park in Utah. My doctors agreed that I could take the trip and do what was comfortable for me. This was my second trip to Zion and the second time I was unable to hike the Narrows (a water hike through the Virgin River). I enjoyed every minute of the trip, not knowing what was in store, but I also made a promise to myself that I would return to hike the Narrows. On 3/24/03 I became a RBK, but have not forgotten the promise I made to myself. God willing, I plan to do the hike in the summer or fall of 2004. (Because the river is the trail, no hiking is allowed if there are flood conditions.) I'll be working on physical training, bike riding, etc. When I have a date set, I'll post more information.

Deb,

You'll have to keep us posted on this and I would say that would qualify as a goal. I know you'll do it.

You Go Girl!!!

Brenda

P.S I really enjoyed meeting you and feel like the few hours we spent together wasn't long enough so we'll have to get together again when I'm not busy training.

Brenda,

Thanks for the encouragement! I plan to work on increasing my walking distance and hopeful do a few short hikes this fall and spring.

I enjoyed meeting you too, and would love to get together again soon!

Keep up the good work!

Deb

Hi Mandy,

My goal is maybe too ambituious.(probably wrong spelling) I want the government to sit up and take more notice of us and i do not intend to give up without a fight. :wub:

I intend to get other amputees to help when i go to the support group meeting on the 29th September.

I hope i don't let any of you down, but i will fight until i am beaten.

Carol

My goal is to be able to go to the gym with my sister and shed a few of the excess lbs ive put on. Hopefully I should be able to achieve this fairly soon as I am getting another leg, which will have a bit more of a flexible foot than the one that I have now, and I should be able to do a decent work out with it.

So hopefully and this is my goal for now.

I want to be able to go to the gym and ultimatley get a whole lot fitter.

:D

Katie D,

That is a great goal but remember you didn't put the lbs on over night so they will not come off overnight so just take it easy and don't hurt yourself.

I know I need to shed some lbs myself and I tend to over exert myself from time to time and that doesn't help.

Healthy eating will help you as well. I hate that cause I really love my ice cream, and goodies... lol

Brenda

WOW !!!!!...

You are all brilliant and if I have half the courage and drive that you guys have when I have my leg amputated then I know I WILL be fine!.

I guess it's those small every day niggles that get you down, but you all seem so confident and sure that you will succeed (and I am quite sure you will) ;) that I am not so worried about it all after all.

Good luck and keep up the excellent work!

Love

Karen :wub:

Lo again

Just come back from Spain so was quiet on the boards.....back to bug you all now :P

I'm waiting for information from the local ski school but have found out there is an adaptive ski training center in Scotland (Cairngorm Mountain) which looks great.

Its great to hear all your goals. Shay, best of luck with the training. Riding a bike is something I haven't done since I was about 12 years old and I take my hat off to you. I've tried the exercise bikes at the gym but because of the lip at the back of my socket I always end up inching myself off the seat, LOL :lol: Of course that's nothing compared to riding in a race.

Irene, even now I find walking without a break for 30 minutes hard going - specially when its hot and sticky! If you take it in small chunks you will get there in no time! Say walking for 10 mins first (if you are happy with that) then gradually increase the time as you feel more comfortable. This is advice given to me by my physio - baby steps. Good Luck!

Deb, wow - hiking! There's nothing like uneven terrain to test the ability of an amp. Best of luck and now you've been to the fitness clinic and seen what you can do I'm sure the sky is the limit for you.

Carol, from the determination in your posts I can tell you'll get there and woe betide anyone who gets in your way....you go gettem girl!

Katie, excess pounds...now there's a challenge we can all relate to! Like any other goal it will take time and perseverance. Going to the gym is definitely a good start. I admire you for this as its something I still can't get myself to do (coping with the stares). I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you start running rings around the locals!

Good Luck to all of you and keep us posted! My next post will hopefully be about my 1st lesson!

Mandy

Hi, got fitted with my new leg today, can't believe how different it is - good different! It is so springy keep telling everyone to call me "tigger" - "cos bouncing's what tiggers do best!" :P

And the whole healthy eating thing is going great (apart from the bar of chocolate i ate today) but hey everyone deserves a treat once in a while!

So at the moment things are looking good.

Will let you know how i get on.

T.T.F.N

xx

Katie,

That's great so now you should have a leg to stand on soon. sorry for the pun... A candy bar every now and then to treat yourself is fine that's if you can just eat one. lol

Brenda

Glad to hear it Katie!! :D :D :D Keep it up! And treat yourself more often ;) .

Got my first lesson coming up this Saturday - very excited and nervous too.

Will let you know how it goes.

Mandy

Mandy,

That's great!! I get nervous when I am going to run an upcoming event because of all the other runners crowded by me. I'm afraid they are going to trip me. I know you are going to be just fine. YOU GO GIRL!!

Brenda

I loved to ski before my AKA so good luck to you. It is a great way to enjoy the outdoors and the company of gutsy people.

My ambition is to play golf again - somehow, someday. Then I want to be better at it with one leg than I was with two. Maybe having one leg will make me concentrate on hitting straight rather than trying to hit as hard as possible!

By the way thanks everybody for making this a great site. Just loitering has helped me so much!

David

David,

I don't play golf myself but I do know a few amps that do and from what I have heard it's supposed to be one of the best sports (is it really a sport) for amputees. Me personally I don't see what people enjoy about chasing a little white ball around and trying to hit it into a little hole hundreds of yards away. You'll be golfing before you know it. You don't really need any special legs or anything well maybe a golf cart.

Brenda

P.S I'm glad this site has helped you that is what I like to hear. We make it what it is.

Well its Monday and I survived the lesson! :lol:

Was rather nervous at the beginning but that's just my fear of high speeds. I'm learning to ski on a monoski. Its basically a single ski blade with a chair on it (nice shock absorber between the two to protect my delicate hiney from the bumps!). You then have two attachments you use on your arms for balance and steering/braking. They are called outriggers and look like very short crutches with skis on the ends.

db_photos_horiz_00101.jpg

I wanted to learn standing up but was advised by my instructor its very difficult for AKA's and puts a lot of strain on the hip because you can't flex your knee to absorb the bumps. Learning is very slow and your choice of slopes is limited. However, a number of AKA's have taken up snowboarding and some compete with non-amps and still beat them! The other thing about learning on a monoski is that there is no limit - you can even go on diamond black slopes as well as off piste!

So after getting over feeling trussed up like a turkey I was soon speeding down the slope. Being a dry slope it was short and I spent a lot of the lesson being pulled back up the slope on a pomme. Fell over at the beginning but I secretly think my instructor was trying to see how good my sense of balance was :P He soon discovered it was not great so helped me balance most of the lesson and then only on the last run down let me do it myself - which I managed! :D

I'll definitely be going back soon but my poor arms need to recover after having to take all the weight of my body for the duration of the lesson! (Something I'm not really used to).

Hope you are all doing well with whatever goals you have set yourselves.

Mandy

PS: That's not me in the picture......I got it off another site :lol:

Mandy,

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!

Hello everyone,

I am recovering from a second eye surgery to stop bleeding. So far I'm

healing nicely and the surgeon was happy...hope that's the last time

for that!

My goal is to carry on promoting the Roy Process invention for neutralizing

nuclear waste including plutonium and so-called 'dirty bomb' elements

which is an international security threat. It is certainly high time for this

new science to be recognized.

Then once we save this insane world from suicide...I plan to play

santa claus and do philanthropy. But our governments love their

nuclear 'big stick' to extort their will. I hope mankind will survive his

conceit?

A Russian NoNukes web site featured material from my web site.

http://nuclearno.com/text.asp?6115

Love,

Dennis

An interesting question.

I knew for several years that I was going to lose my leg. So I started to fulfill some of my ambitions. But my greatest ambition was, after having my amputation was to be able to 'do' everything I was doing before I had the op. This has worked out quite well. Same things, but sometimes in a different way.

Now reading all your posts on 'ambitions' you've started me thinking of what else I can get up to! :D

So if I think of a 'new' ambition and my family start to groan, I shall blame all you good people. :D :D

Best as ever

Steve