Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Mandy

My Goal

Well done Mandy!!! :D

Although I have been an aka for many years it would never ever have occurred to me that an amputee would be able to ski.

It's an activity I would have classed with rock climbing, salsa dancing or marathon running that amputees CANNOT do.

You and Brenda are certainly pushing forward the frontiers for the rest of us.

Tomorrow I have an appointment at my limb fitting centre and I fully intend to be more assertive in my attitude, and absolutely demand a comfortable, user friendly prosthesis which does not look too awful.

This is my first goal and I will think about more.

Best Wishes

Maureen

Talk about some awesome goals!! You guys are amazing! It has been 9 years since I've been able to do much of anything in the area of walking so I wasn't sure what goal to shoot for. Before my accident I loved to dance. So, with the inspiration from all of you, that is what I'm going to start doing again. Dance lessons. I don't even have my first prosthesis yet so this will be a long range goal, but it will be something to set my sights on. At first I'm going to be thrilled with just walking.

I can relate to the extra pounds and am hoping once I'm walking and moving more, some of that will come naturally (wishful thinking?). I am very thankful that I found this site and have met people (sort of) that can relate. As a counselor I'm used to solving issues for others but it's a whole different ballgame when it is yourself that is trying to deal.

Thanks for the words of encouragement and the openness that is evident here daily.

Minnesota Carol

Well done Mandy! I never realised how much inspiration you can get just from knowing that normal people just like me are out there doing the things I want to do. It makes you believe that I CAN do them too.

My goal to get down the gym and try and keep fit came from reading all Brenda's post about her running and I thought, if she can run so can I!

Now after reading about Mandy's amazing skiing lesson I'm considering that too. Although one thing at a time. I just get so excited sometimes thinking about what I can do!

Anyway, I went to the gym the other day and met with a trainer who showed me all the best things to be doing and how to do them without hurting myself.

Was certainly feeling it the next day though!

All the best to everyone in acheiving their goals :P

hi everyone my goal was to lose 14 kilos. which i have achieved. now my goal is to keep the weight off which i am finding harder to do then lose the weight in the first place.as i love my lager . i live in france so it is unheard of not to have an aperitif.

Wow, some good goals out there. Losing 14 kilos is no small thing either so well done Sarah!

I was the same - had been an AKA all my life and thought there were certain things amputees just couldn't do. It was reading Brenda's posts and other inspirational amputees stories that got me thinking.

Amputees can do whatever they set their minds to, its just a matter of doing it a little differently. So go on out there and make the most of it!

Something else to bear in mind. Even people who are paralysed from the chest down can ski. My instructor was showing me all the different equipment he has available for various disabilities and its amazing what people can do if they set their minds to something. He had a student who had suffered a stroke and could not use his left arm or leg. This guy had been told by doctors he would never regain the use of those limbs 4 years before he started skiing. Even the instructor thought there was nothing he could do for the guy. But dogged determination has got him to where he is now: A competent skier with regained use of his leg and arm.....something no one thought was possible!

Hi everyone,

If no one minds I am going to jump in on your conversations.

First of all, I can't tell everyone how much of an inspiration you all are. In the first few days laying in the hospital after I lost my foot, all I could do was imagine all the things I couldn't do and then little by little I realized I could still do whatever I set my mind to and people like ya'll (sorry I am from the south) just make me realize that even more.

I have already reached so many goals and can relate to most of the ones everyone is talking about, getting back into the gym, losing weight (17 pounds so far, but still have 20 more to go), dancing (bobbyboo- I can electric slide and shake my booty with the best of them, I just have to sit down and take a break a little more often than I used to...don't know about salsa dancing, but then again I couldn't do that before!!! :D)

Mandy what an inspiration you are, I was never much of a snow skier, but put me on water and I was in heaven. :D I haven't been able to do that yet, but was on my way this summer, when I ended up having to have a revision on my stump and knee arthroscopy (which in the long run made everything A LOT better). I had already been casted for the socket on my water ski leg, when the surgeries came up, so we put it on hold. I was off my feet for about 3 months, so my leg got so weak again, I knew I didn't have the strength to water ski and now it is Fall in Georgia (to cold to be on water), so I am on hold again. I had originally though I would be able to get started trying again next spring, but now I have realized that my #1 goal is to start my family. Since my husband and I both where injured in the accident that took my foot, our lives have been on hold and EVERYTHING has revolved around our injuries, but we are going to Jamaica B) the end of January (our first vacation since our accident) and what a better place to get started on our family. I figure it this way, the lake will always be there but I am not getting any younger!!! Water sking is still a goal, it has just moved down the priority list a little.

By the way, when we get to Jamaica, I am going to try all those things I had always been scared to do, parasailing, scuba diving, etc, etc, etc... After all, when you come as close to dying as I did, those things don't seem so scary anymore.

Thanks to everyone for the reinforcements!!!!!!

Kimberly

:D

Hi, my goal is to never lose sight of the fact, that as long as you give something a try, you can never fail. To one day perhaps become a foster grandparent and help foster children.

Sheila

Keep smiling

My goal is just to walk again. ;) Then get back into the work force. ;) Am thinking about getting into the prosthetics field. :o What better example to someone that it can be done by someone who lost both legs and is walking again B). What the heck I got another 50 yrs. to do it :lol: . Good luck to everyone's goal and keep up the good attitudes. :) Thats 80% of it. Hard work the other 20%.

My goal is to learn to walk again for the first time in ten years. I had my leg amputated in July 1993 and I had a prosthesis made for me shortly there after. But it was made incorrectly. Too long and it didn't fit very well. :angry: Anyways, I kinda gave up on it and after that, I never had the insurance coverage to get another one, until now.

I went today (October 27, 2003) to get evaluated for it. I have started wearing my shrinker sock and am so excited to get my new leg. There's so much that I have missed out on in ten years.

I'm so thankful for this forum, b/c I can definitely use the support at this point. I know it's going to be a long and bumpy road, but I know it's totally worth it.

Everyone else who's posted their goals and accomplished most of them....BRAVO!!! I totally applaude your effort, stamina, and determination. You're a shining example to us amateurs.

my new goal is to stop smoking so this morning put my nicotine patch on so any encouragement would be great.my family think i cannot do it but they also thought i would not be able to lose 14 kilos which i have done so here goes to proving them wrong.with the money i save i am going to buy an adjustable foot and some nice shoes to go with it.

My lessons have taken a back seat for now as we have family events and get togethers from here to kingdom come :P , but I do intend to pursue this particular dream. We're thinking of organising a week in Scotland so I can go on the week long course they hold there.

Sarah - tell your family to stop being so negative! It really helps to have a supportive family as you don't feel so alone and tend to have more confidence in your abilities if they are backing you 100%. Smoking is a difficult thing to give up and you can only approach it one day at a time.

Shawna and Byteme - you have a long road ahead of you, full of trials and tribulations, but BOY what a feeling when you're walking confidently! B) That's when you'll look back and think it was definitely worth the hard work and effort. As you grow used to wearing your prostheses it will get easier and soon it will feel like second nature to you. Keep up the exercises and try not to get disheartened with the bad days as they will disappear over time.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your goals with us. I wish you all the best of luck in attaining them.

Best Wishes

Mandy

i have now made 5 days without smoking.i really feel i am goin to achieve this goal .i do not miss smoking at all.also in 5 days i have saved 40 euros about 30 pounds .i am putting the money away so at the end of the month i will treat myself to something nice.

Sarah,

Congratulations and keep going. You can do it!!!

Clapping my hands for you..

Brenda :D

still not smoking the only problem is though have started snacking instead so am worried about putting on weight i lost. also my husband has been offered another job chefing again so this will be a big adjustment for all of us has at the moment he has 9to 5 job but am still determined to never smoke again .so keep rooting for me .i will probably treat myself to an adjustable foot and new shoes or boots as boots are my passion .

You can do it Sarah.b!!!!!!!

Kimberly

When you set out to live your dreams, lots of people (including those who love you the most) will try to hold you back

11 days not smoking the weekendsare quite hard as most people i know smoke but hanging in there.

Yeah, I find the weekends bad for diets too :lol:

Keep going Sarah! We're rooting for ya!

Mandy

two weeks today without smoking only a lifetime to go.

Sarah,

I'm in your corner rooting for you to succeed. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Brenda

I'm clapping my hands for you.

Hi Sarah

Brilliant!

We're with you all the way.

If you can go without them for two weeks, you can go without them for the rest of your life. :)

Best as always

Steve

thanks brenda steve mandy for your support it really does help knowing you are all rooting for me .sarah

3 weeks without smoking .put on a bit of weight though but like my hubby says you lost the weight before you will lose it again .it is the only hard thing about giving up the snacking you do .

Sarah,

You are doing so great!! You will gain some weight because you will crave more food especially the sweets but like your hubby said you've lost it before you'll lose it again.

You Go Girl!!

Brenda

hi everyone been away for a while problem with computer .anyway still not smoking over 5 weeks now.