Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lizzie2

Did anyone see this?

Hi

Did anyone see the recent interview with Gary Holness (a survivor of the London bombings) this morning?

In case you didn't, I've added this link and this quote from the link.

We've been following the remarkable recovery of London bomb victim Garri Holness since the 7 July attacks.

He's had to come to terms with the loss of part of a leg, the death of his mother but he has continued to surprise doctors with the speed of his recovery and his sheer determination.

Garri recently had a prosthetic leg fitted, and we've been following his progress on Breakfast.

Ahead of Tuesday's memorial service for the London bomb victims, we caught up with Garri as he embarks on a career in the music business.

In our latest report, Breakfast's Julia Botfield met Garri in a recording studio as he turns his hand to a new career.

Garri has recently discovered that he was sitting a just a few feet away from the tube bomber, he says the pole he was hanging on to disintegrated in the blast.

The train carriage, in the area where he was standing was reduced to a crater.

Despite his injuries, Garri has been able to drive an unmodified automatic car, as it was his left leg that was badly injured.

He also said that he'd been spending some time on his own now allowing him to reflect on events over the past few months - but in his inimitable way, he has already adjusted to his artificial leg, and was only walking with a slight limp.

The link also mentions the memorial service at St Paul's Cathedral, that takes place tomorrow & that they will be talking to survivors of the London bombings on tomorrow's BBC's Breakfast.

Lizzie

Very sad Lizzie, good to see the guy is getting on with life, how ever from one who has experienced near death, it is common to intially want to throw yourselves back into situations and do as much as possible. Recently (my experience was 5 years ago) I have found life, my own situation more difficult to deal with.

Yes I am lucky to be alive, :D and I thank my lucky stars every day when I wake up.

I hope he gets support in the future, as we all know our disability is for life, this headache never goes away. <_<

This forum is a great place to gain support and empathy.

PJ :)

it is common to intially want to throw yourselves back into situations and do as much as possible.

I suppose it's a bit like grieving...everyone has their own way of coping.

You're right, there is a danger that he may just emotionally 'flop' when the media spotlight is off him. If that happens, I hope he finds his way here too! :)

Lizzie

Yes, he was also on GMTV this morning Lizzie, but I only caught the end of the interview. I think BBC (early morn. prog) have been following his progress, I caught a bit of it the other week when he was try his prosthesis for the the first time.

I also saw Martine on Trevor McDonald last night. Anyone else see this ?

Ann

Hi Lizzie

Thanks for sharing this remarkable story with us, I feel very sad, but it is so good that he is getting on with his life, and with his mom and leg. I bet it must be very hard, I have been through some similar things in life, we should all be lucky and blessed that we have what we have.

Lesley