Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
eag

AND A BIG HELLO FROM THE BUCKEYE STATE OF OHIO

:angry: My name is Ann & like I said I am from Ohio (usa) Am a LBK amp. since January 2001. They found I had a blocked aorta in my tummy which was also blocking the blood flow to my leg. :( After one doctor made a wrong diagnosis & by the time I was correctly diagnosised my foot was turning black. They could only save approx. 1/3 of it and was told I would always be a cripple & would have a hard time even walking. So my husband and I choose amputation. :(

My amputation was my 5th. surgery in two weeks so needless to say I was very weak and kind of numb. :huh:

I am married and have two sons (both married) and four grandchildren. 3 girls & 1 boy. My husband is retaired & I am still employed as a Household engineer :P :P

:P eag

Ann--

It sounds like you have been through alot. :( But I'm sure your children and grandchildren brings you alot of joy. :) Remember are now a part of a wonderful forum. There are so many knowledgable people here. So enjoy every visit with us! B)

Patti

After one doctor made a wrong diagnosis QUOTE]

Where have I heard that one before. It sure sounds awful familiar.

More than a few times unfortunately in my circumstances. Trust but verify. That has become my motto.

Welcome to this group. They've all been there. You are immediately among friends.

Hi Ann

I just wanted to welcome you to this forum of ours, its a great experience.

You seem like a really positive person. Even though you have been through

all these obstacles. Keep your chin up. If you need anything let me know

or anyone else. I am a 19 yr old amputee for I think 2 years, might be 3.

Lesley

Hi Ann, welcome to our little corner of the world, with some of the friendliest ppl on the planet. You'll also find, plenty of wisdom, knowledge, support, fun, and some really BIG smiles!! :D So please, sit back, relax and enjoy yourself. I look forward to reading more of your postings.

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

post-12-1131244624.gif

Hello and welcome to our forum Anne. It's lovely here. You're going to make heaps of new friends.

I'm Ally - trauma amputee from South Africa - right above knee in 1995.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

And DF................

Household engineer, isn't that the same as domestic goddess?

I sure like the way you think girl! :P

Hey Ann welcome to the forum from Sunny Australia.

Glad to hear you're getting on with things after a difficult ordeal.

Melissa

Hi,

Just wanted to jump on the welcoming band wagon here. :D

As for your "job title", I actually write on the income tax form....Domestic Engineer. God knows, I never said I do to my house! :wub:

Linda

:P :P Thanks guys, I appreciate your welcome.

;) Jim I went to your website to order one of your shower covers...it won't let me just use my credit card and send a check. I really would rather not use PayPal.

:wub: I am in the process of having a new prosthesis made and wondered which one you all think is best for an all around walking (especially outside) foot. I have been trying for going on 5 years to get one that's made for me. Definately has to be good looking and fit well!!

Everyone is so friendly.

;) ;) eag

Hi Ann

If you will E-mail me directly at: jim@thompsonsllc.com I will be more than glad to handle this for you offline. (Just click on this link.)

I use a suprcondulyr suspension leg, with a Ohio WillowWood "Carbon Copy II" foot. 17 years ago, I asked my prosthetist about the "Seattle" foot and he reccomended this one. I have been extremly happy with it ever since. It

can be ordered with different built in tension, for different activity and weight.

I walk around outside all of time with this - most of the time with my shoes on, but other times not, like I do in my house at night. (This drives my CP up the wall every time I tell him, but it works for me.)

Welcome to the forum, Ann. Good luck finding a foot. There's about a million of them out there!

Welcome from a fellow Buckeye (Columbus).

I'm an LBK from an arterial clot in my leg. ('98)

I don't post very often to the forum but I do check in a lot in case I have something to say.

rayb

:D Ray, where do you go in Columbus to have your prosthesis made? You know there are two Hangers there?

I guess they are going to combine :huh: I have gone to the one on Dublin Road. In fact :angry: I have made a visit to around 5 different places to try to get what I want :blink:

Anyway glad to have someone as close as Columbus. :P :P :P eag

My current leg is a test leg from Ohio Willow Wood.

Before that I too was going to Hanger on Dublin Rd which is only 10 minutes from my house. My first shop was American - until they were dropped by my insurance.

rayb

YIKES!!!! :huh::angry: that's where I am going now, and having a horrible time getting them to listen to me about walking outside. So far falling all over myself. Now that is a cute sight.

Not sure what foot I have, but sure don't like it. :( :( Maybe I have seen you there & didn't know it. :P Wonders never cease do they?

:D Have a great evening. Have no idea what time it is on this board; I think we are going by BIG BEN :P :P ; but its 10:43 here in Ohio.

Have you tried Capitol Prosthetics over by Riverside Hospital? I used to go to American as well, and liked them, but they were dropped by my insurance too. I've had very good luck with comfortable legs and feet at Capital, though--ask for Mick.

I didn't know there were any other prosthetic clinics in Columbus. Are they in any of the amputees magazines such as inMotion or Active Living?

I am glad ;) you are getting one that feels that good...thanks for the info. Does that make 3 from Ohio?

B) eag

Ann,

Sorry for my late reply. Welcome to the forum family we're glad you have joined us. There are lots of friendly helpful people here so willing to help. I'm a BK amputee I was born missing my foot and 3 years ago I had revision surgery to better my life and it was the best decision I have ever made. Currently I'm not on the board as much as I used to be because I work full time, have two kids, going through a divorce and going to school to become a Certified Pilates Instructor. Breath of air. I try to find time to read and post but it's not always easy. Pull up a comfy chair and enjoy your stay.

Welcome Ann, sorry its late, just got back from my holiday.

Best of luck finding the right foot :D

Yes, looks like there are three Ohioans on the board--are all three of us from the Columbus area? Ann, I'm assuming that most of the area's prosthetic sources would be advertised in the trade publications, but your best bet for finding other possibilities might lie with the list your insurance company or other health care provide would maintain--these are the ones they'll pay!

The issue of "outside" feet is a tough one, since it seems to be more a question of individual preference and athleticism than any particular design. I still have troubles with "off-pavement" mobility and have complained about it to various pros. My observation has been that the prosthetic places can't afford to keep getting in "trial" feet until I find one I like--they've all been willing to try one or two types but after that the effort isn't justified by the income they'll receive, or the hassle they'll get from the insurance company. I have yet to find an outdoor foot that didn't feel wobbly in the ankle to me, though I haven't tried more than a couple of types and I know there's a lot of them out there.