Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Woodstock79

A New Start

Hello All,

I am new to this site and to forums. I am a below the knee amputee on my right leg, and this too is new. I was struck by a car while riding my horse on my street in August. I lost the lower part of my leg, my horse unfortunately lost his life. Some say he gave his life for mine. I don't know about that, but I do know the loss of Buzz hurts a lot more than the loss of my leg. I knew that I would not keep my leg at the accident scene, I wasn't lucky enough to lose conscienous, but I didn't know how badly Buzz was hurt until after my first of 2 operations. I think thats what bothers me the most. I didn't get to say goodbye and thank you to my friend. I am hoping that in time I will be able to show Buzz how much he meant to me by changing some of the vehicle code here in Pennsylvania. And I would also like to create a law that would enable the police to charge some kind of animal cruelity to anyone that strikes a horse.

But enough about that, I was hoping someone could shed some light on Phantom Pains. They are the only thing that hurts anymore and the medication that my surgeon has me on doesn't seem to be cutting it.

Thank you for your time. I am not sure if I am doing this right or not. I only know I need to communicate with someone that is going through the same things I am. God Bless. Diane

Hello Diane - yes, you did it beautifully. Welcome to our forum.

We have many members (me included) who fully understand both the loss of your beloved horse, and your leg.

I am a right above knee amputee (RAK) from South Africa. Mine was a car accident in 1995.

You are going to find loads of people to talk to here.

Ally

Hello Diane and welcome.

I'm very sorry that you had to lose your leg and your beautiful horse in the process. :(

I have no doubts that you will show Buzz how much he meant to you by trying your best to change the laws. But you can also do this by carrying on with your life - and living it well - even with your amputation.

I hope you enoy it here. :)

Hi Diane

A double whammy. Life can be a real b...h sometimes cant it. I just wanted you to know I am so sorry for you.

If phantom pains are your issue there are loads of links in this site. Maybe some one can pin point them for you. I am not that good with the computer so I dunno where to begin.

Rachel

:blink:

Welcome. In the UK the Horse still as the right of way but that dont stop accident's still happening it's a courtesy rule over in the UK how stupid can some people be when they drive at speed pass a horse.?I am sorry to hear of your loss to yourself and your horse.I have phantom pains but there are far more knowledgeable people than I am that would be able to help you more than I could I am AKA left leg.Keep posting you will have fun.

Regards Pat.

I am so sorry about your loss.

Welcome to this site - everyone here will support you however they can.

I lost my right hand 3 inches above the wrist in May from blood clots.

Welcome!

Hi Diane

Welcome here to this forum, you have come to a great place, were all family here. I think you and Caz will hit it off great, I am really sorry about your horse, some kind of law would be great. Caz is a horse lover. I hope you know that everything is going to be alright. Keep your chin up. Have anything you want to ask or just someone to talk to, I am here as well as others.

Lesley

Hi Diane--

Welcome to our forum. I sure you find just about everything on any subject here.

It seems if one person doen't have answer then some one else will. So get comfy and join in whenever you like.

Patti

Welcome, Diane. :)

If you're phantom limb pain meds aren't working, have you tried any of the 'alternative' treatments? Try doing a forum search, as I'm sure there are a few relevant threads, or you could try a farabloc sock, as they help some people. I'm afraid it's all a bit of trial & error - finding out what works best for you.

Take care & so sorry to hear about Buzz.

Lizzie

Hi Diane and welcome,

I'm sorry that you've joined us under such awful circumstances. I lost my right leg, below knee, after an accident, and like you was conscious the whole time too.

This site is great, lots of advice, support, information and laughs too. A whole bunch of great people, from all corners of the world.

I don't know what to suggest for your phantoms, mine are bad at the moment, and I've tried different medication, alternative therapies etc., but I know I will get there eventually.

Sue, Cardiff, UK

Hello, Diane, and welcome to our forum family. How terrible, your leg and your horse. I'm sorry you have had such an experience. I don't have too much phantom pain so don't have any advice on that subject but others have lots to offer on the subject. Best of luck to you.

Hi Diane, sorry to hear about your horse and I'm sorry to hear about you. Some say that animals have a way of knowing and I'm certain that Buzz understood and felt your love.

As far as the PP go, yes they are rotton things and some do subside over time. There is heaps on info on here about them bu if you can't find something don't hestiate to ask.

Cheers Melissa

Welcome to the forum Diane, please to meet you. I am so sorry to hear of such a horrible accident, that caused your amputation and the loss of your horse, that is so sad. :( I'm sure Buzz knew how much love you had for him and that he'll always have a special place in your heart. ;)

PP is something I guess we all have to come to terms with in our own way, b/c what worked for some, may not for others, etc. I wish there'd be one quick solution, but unfortunately I haven't found one yet. :( All I can say is, do what works best for you. I took medication for a time, it helped, but didn't especially care for the way it was making me feel, I think the doses were way to strong. Anyways, I do have it now, but only take it when it becomes unbearable and that's very rarely.

I also used to warm a hand towel up in the mic, for a few seconds, don't wanna burn it, :o then I'd wrap it around my residual, which would help some at night, so to get to sleep.

Believe it or not, but my Amp Dr, while in rehab, told me to talk to it and at that point was willing to try anything!! So I did, up half the night yackking away, j/k :P only it would never listen. Oh btw, that Dr retired from his position and went into another line of work...... guess nobody would listen to him either!! :P :lol: :lol:

I hope you find what works best for you, it may take awhile, but you'll get there with a lot of patience. I get through it now mostly with mind control, I REFUSE to let it control my life and will talk my way through it, but that has taken me a while to learn. Good Luck and please keep us informed as to how things are progressing, k?

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

post-12-1131925922.gif

I just wanted to drop a quick note to thank everyone for being so wonderful and sharing. I really feel that I have found a place that I can come to where I don't have to explain everything to get an answer. You are all very special people and I am lucky to have found this site. :) Thanks again for everything! I get my first leg tomorrow :rolleyes: and am so hyped up that I don't think I'll sleep much tonight! :lol:

Hi Diane - first leg tomorrow? Stunning!

It's quite a thing to be standing upright on your own again. You must let us know how it goes.

All the best,

Ally

I'm just four weeks into having my first leg, and believe me I know how you are feeling.

The reality of regaining such an important part of your life is pretty awesome.

I truly hope it all goes well for you, and that it is everything you expect it to be.

Hi Diane,

Welcome to the forum family glad to have you here with us. Sorry to hear about your accident and the loss of your horse. Pull up a comfy chair and join in when you can. I look forward to reading your posts.

Hi Diane,

Welcome to you, I am also a RBK, it is just a year since my amputation. I got my first new leg in January and I know just how you are feeling, it is very exciting to be standing up and walking between those bars, nothing will stop you then.

I was very sad to hear about your horse, I hope in time the hurt you are feeling will lessen.

Good luck for tomorrow :)

Hi Everyone

Well, I got my leg and WOW! :D It felt so good to be standing and walking, walking!, again. The leg itself seems heavy but I would probably feel that way about anything after all this time without an end to my leg. I was able to tolerate it for about an hour and then I had to take it off, but WOW! I can't wait to start therapy tomorrow! Look out world, I'm making my way back! :lol: Thank you all for your support! You people are great!

Hi Diane,

Congratulations on getting your new leg, with an attidude like yours there'll be no stopping you! You may find that the phantoms settle down once you start using your leg more.

I'm also an RBK and a self confessed horse nut,

Mike

RBK

Scotland