How do you shower

What do you use when you shower  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use when you shower

• Bath board
    • Sit on chair
    • Water leg
    • Other

I got to wondering about people showering with artificial legs (In a completely innocent way)...I have use dmy water leg to shower but find it inadequate due to the fact you can't clean the stump PLUS I don't feel safe when standing up in the bath to have a shower (even with rubber mat): So I tend to opt for a bath board which I sit on and shower... :blink:

At the risk of sounding self promoting, here is what I have been using for over eight years. It works for me. (Yes, this is my web site, and leg in the picture.)

Shower Protector

After my shower, I sit down, take my leg off and wash my stump with a wet cloth powder it, put a clean sock on and I'm on my way.

Went from chair to putting a garbage bag over my leg-did that for a week, to just into the shower on one foot and holding on to the help bar with one hand. Getting more confident over the last six months.

Get done I set on the edge of the tub and get my real foot washed and checked for damage-diabetic, and then wash my liner.

Even got brave and leaned up againt the wall to dry off this week.

--Bill, RBK

I use the swim leg, and have had a seat fitted in the shower so that I sit and take the leg off, to clean the stump etc.

It folds up against the wall and I just pull it down, it has legs to support.

Cost me about £70.00 to buy, and worth every penny. From the Screw Fix catalogue.

Sue

I use a bath bench. I have not received my first leg yet. And I might not be living here by that time. Otherwise I plan to install a rail and shower without the arty leg.

I use a shower chair, but I don't sit on it. I kneel on it with stumpy. It will only work for those of us who are BK or KD. It is secure, everything gets clean, and I feel more normal doing it this way. A friend told me that he did it that way and how well it worked for him. I tried it and liked it.

I use a Xerosock when I travel so I don't need to depend on a chair or crutches. It worked quite well also. Keeps everything very dry. I will use it at home if I'm on shower #2 for the day.

This post reminds me of a Seinfeld episode when Kramer realized he took too long in the shower & asked Jerry to teach him. :blink:

I'm a BBk so I kneel & have an adjustable shower head that slides up & down or can be hand held. In the beginning, I used a shower chair, but it was a b**** to keep taking it in & out for everyone else. Maybe when I'm a lil old lady I'll have to revert, but this works for me now.

Linda

I dont usually shower. I usually bath. but when I do I use the board. Its just a pain for the rest of the family soI opt to bath.

I want a purpose built shower but cant afford it at the moment. The plumber want £4,000 to adapt my airing cupboard!!!!!!!!

Rachel

Being new to all of this I have opted not to buy the shower chair, I use the commode I bought and no longer use and sit for my showers at the moment. We are in the process of restoring an old farmhouse circa 1835 and will be adding 2 bathrooms upstairs when we have the money. My husband tells me that our bath will have all the things I need in it; the Jucuzzi tub, the Kohler Rain shower, handrails and all that. if any of you are familiar with these products you understand why I said when we can afford it. :lol: I asked him about a wet bar, he didn't seem all that amused! ;)

Hello There:

Before I purchased my present home, I would stand on my good leg (right) and lean my left knee (left symes amputee) against the shower wall. At one time my son bought me a shower chair (Mother's Day gift) but it kept getting moldy (Ick!) so I stopped using it. When I travel, I still use my knee against the wall but my present home has a built-in seat and so I put my knee on that. To keep from slipping (which I've done twice in 27 years) I lay a washcloth on the floor of the shower. To get in and out of a shower with a tub, I place my left knee on the tub edge and place my "foot" onto the washcloth and climb right on in. When using a shower-only style, I grab onto whatever can hold my weight and swing my good foot into the shower and am there. When showering in public restrooms, I need to get a little more inventive (bring a chair, etc).

Take care!

Amy :D

I use a shower chair, b/c when ya get my age you don't wanna take any chances, the ol' bones don't heal so fast! :D ;)

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

post-7-1131916392.gif

I have a shower chair but I half sit on it haft stand when showering. I can't really balance with my eyes closed I think that is supposed to be one of the signs of ADD. So that is when the bath chair comes in handy. It's also a great place to store towels and shampoo when not showering :P

I can't really balance with my eyes closed. I think that is supposed to be one of the signs of ADD.

I don't know what it is a sign of, but I have noticed the same thing since I was amputated, (1988). It is also, (almost impossible) for me to walk in pitch black darkness without my leg, on crutches. I go inches at a time.

As for the chair, I kneel on my bench at home with my short leg and stand on the other. I have grab bars on all three sides of the shower to turn around with, which I almost always have at least one hand on. I feel more secure than most people with two legs. I only sit on the bench long enough to wash my good foot and my stump.

When I get out, I kneel on the lid of the toilet, (which I intentionally placed next to the shower when I built it), "walk" out and sit down to dry and put my leg back on.

P.S. I also have small grab bars on the inside of the door way to the shower to have something to hold onto as I get in or out. (I use a shower curtain for the door way.)

Well, I see I'm not the only one that uses the chair. :) That makes me feel a little better. I always have enjoyed my showers :D , but I hate the fact that I have to depend on someone else to help me. (Ok, I mean my husband--not just anyone) I just don't know how I would acclomplish it with his help. I guess he's handy to have around for a few things. ;)

Patti

Remove leg and sit on side of bath.

Using hands and good leg ,get onto bath board.

Lower myself onto shower seat in bath. (Held in place by suction cups)(the seat not me)

Have shower -- then find I've forgot to put towel within reach. Damn it!! :(

Then have to struggle out to get towel (not a pretty sight) then get sat down again to dry myself other wise i seem to loose balance .Can be dangerous. :huh:

John

Being Bi-Lat I tend to bath and shower with legs off. Sit on a chair for the shower. For a bath I sit on the side of the bath, take off my legs and liners, lower myself in (fairly strong upper body strenght required). And the reverse to get out. As Jim said making sure towel is to hand.

No accidents yet. :lol:

Mike.

I can't begin to count the number of times I have fallen into the bath. And it's always been when I'm not actually trying to get in. Like taking a perch on the edge of the bath (when it's full of water), fully clothed, and then WHAM - in I go. And it happened once at a friend's house. They had a good laugh. I wasn't amused. <_<

I am a new double below knee amputee. I use a shower seat (again, it folds out the way so others can use the shower normally). However, since I was at my army rehab unit, I have been provided with a great invention - totally waterproof legs. They are magic!

So, I stand in the shower normally (holding my grabrail for extra balance) then sit on my seat, remove legs and wash and clean my stumps.

I am finding this amputee lark quite difficult just now, however, no doubt once I get established it will be easier. My next goal is going back to work.

From John & Suzy's Soldier Friend

Hello Suzy and John's soldier friend!

So glad you got to post personally. Yes, sigh, this amputee lark can be damn frustrating at times. However, it's not impossible and we all manage to find little ways to make our lives easier.

Hope we get to hear lots more from you,

Kind regards

Ally

Hi,

Glad you were able to check in yourself. My name is Linda & I am also a BBK(bilateral below knee). Yep, this life style sucks, but you'll adjust. You've already done so much more than most of us. You're a brave guy who we owe more than we can ever repay. I admire you & can't wait to see more posts from you. :D

Linda

Ally the only time I've fallen in the bath was when I had 2 legs. I'd been drinking around a mates house and had gone to use the bathroom when my mate and his wife burst in thinking I'd fallen asleep (they were going to get photographic evidence). I jumped up in a hurry staggered backwards and went a**e over t*t into the bath. They still got the photographic evidence :)

Good to hear from you too Soldier Boy. Good luck with your Rehab.

Hello Soldier boy (From one old soldier to another) A couple of weeks after I lost my leg, (not while in the service), another amputee told me, "The worst thing about losing my leg is that everytime I go swimming, I swim in cirlces". I know that that is making light of it, but as long as I have that attitude, I seem to get along just fine.

I take an "off " day every now and then, and cuss all of this out and feel sorry for myself, but they definitely are few and far between. My wife usually gives me that look that says, "okay now let's get back to the here and now". It works for us.

Welcome, and let's hear more from you.

Good to hear from you personally Soldier Friend. It sounds like you are doing well and have a good attitude. It stinks sometimes, but hey, what doesn't. There's no choice but to keep on keeping on. Life will still be good.