Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Suzy

TIN SOLIDER HAS MORE QUESTIONS!!!

Rather than fill up yesterday's post and lose track I started a new one! Thanks for all the advice on swimming. John & I passed it on to Eric when we saw him last night. He is now up on his new limbs and able to walk with just one stick - there is not even a hint of a limp. I think we expected him to have one because he has lost his left leg and right foot. Eric says when he gets back home he will reply himself and thank you all.

His army rehab physio has BANNED him from crawling on his knees. Just in case he damages them and then cannot wear his limbs. Whilst a lot of hard work in rehab, it is amazing the difference in him compared to other people we know who are given rehab by NHS. THis treatment should be available to all.

IN THE MEANTIME, here are a couple of posers for you:-

1. We passed on the info re the swimming - the army rehab centre has a pool and he is doing this every day. HOWEVER, in an ordinary pool and due to him having limbs below the knee - what is the easiest way to get to the pool? In the rehab he goes to the poolside with his stick/limbs and takes them off before entering. He was told by the army he would strengthen his residual limbs by not using "wet limbs."

2. Eric is experimenting with night attire! What do other double below knee amputees do? At the moment, he has "adapted" PJ's by chopping the legs to match his stumps.

Thanks for your help. I realise these questions may be answered in other parts of the board, however, we have not got there yet. We have taken all the tips from the "what do you do in the bathroom" and given them to Eric. That is no problem to him, he wheelchairs to the shower, transfers to a seat and washes - he does not use limbs.

FOR MUZ - Thanks for the link to BLESMA - also Eric says whilst not televised he was part of a Remembrance Parade at his barracks.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Suzy & John

Hi Suzy

It's good that your friend is progressing so well. He has an 'advantage' over some of us as he still has both knees...makes a big difference! :)

Depending on the swimming pool, your friend could walk to the edge of the pool & take his limbs off. However, he may run into problems with his footwear - pools don't like outside footwear being used at the side of the pool, as it's not safe & it's unhygienic. Or most pools have a pool chair that you can use to wheel yourself to the side of the pool.

Personally, I've found that it's safer to go to the swimming pool in my 'chair' (without my limbs), as the floors of changing rooms are very slippy & I've fallen quite a few times. I wheel the chair to the side of the pool & get in that way.

Lizzie

Oooooh Lizzie - good point about slipping and sliding in the changing area. I forgot about that. :o Ouch - not a good idea.

I would also imagine that if he takes his legs off at the side of the pool, he'll have to have someone to move them away so they don't get drenched.

As far as PJ's go..... :lol: .....he's done the best possible thing. I can't think of a better way to stop getting entangled (hate that). I chopped most of mine off, a bit longer than the limb, and stitched them up at the bottom. I still do that with long pants that I might be wearing outdoors when I'm on crutches and not using my leg.

Good luck - I'd like to hear how other bi-laterals handle this pool thing. I've got one leg, so I just crutch to the edge of the pool, chuck them down, and hop in. Don't care how wet they get (and I don't do public pools so the change room was something I never considered). Your friend has other issues though....

Ally

:)

Suzy-

I'm a bilateral bka. And to Eric problem of sleepwear~~ :D I personally like to wear short and a t-shirt to bed. Since I'm getting older I have been having those wicket "hot flashes" :angry: , so I perfer to sleep in shorts and a tank top/t-shirt.

Patti

2. Eric is experimenting with night attire! What do other double below knee amputees do? At the moment, he has "adapted" PJ's by chopping the legs to match his stumps

Soldier?? with PJ's??? Tell Eric that an old ex sailor's splitting his sides whilst rolling helplessly on the floor :lol: :lol: :lol:

Muz

Eric says he has heard about you sailors! Anyway, his story is blame his "old Ma" and the fact that being in a rehab hospital he has to wear something to cover his dignity because the rehab is a mixed hospital - he says that is what helps him get speed up on his artificial limbs - chasing the women!!

Anyway, according to him, it is better to wear PJ's than sleep in your uniform the way he did in Iraq! Plus the fact, he was with bomb disposal and not Commandos!

(apparently that is a joke!)

Anyway, he is doing very well although the other day had a mishap in the pool when he tried to fly. Apparently, he slipped off the edge. He says his balance in the pool is now much better and thanks you all for the advice on swimming.

As a side note, apparently his artificial limbs (both sets) have been provided by the army (lucky blighter) and - wait for this - they are WATERPROOF. So, the questions he got me to ask about getting in were irrelevant - sorry folks.

Thanks for your replies - I think this board is excellent.

Suzy

As a side note, apparently his artificial limbs (both sets) have been provided by the army (lucky blighter) and - wait for this - they are WATERPROOF.

But, are they just covered in waterproof covering or are they 'dunkable'?

I don't have a swim leg, but I assumed that a swim leg (& therefore a 'dunkable' leg) wasn't very robust for other activities e.g. walking & running...etc. :wacko:

Lizzie

hI Lizzie2

Apparently it is a waterproof covering, in addition, the limbs have skin detail (i.e. toes on the artificial foot) they can withstand flames and are virtually stainproof. I am not sure about this but I think they were manufactured by Dorset Medical in the UK. However, when I next see Eric I will ask him.

they can withstand flames and are virtually stainproof.

Probably just as well in those PJ's ;) :P

Plus the fact, he was with bomb disposal and not Commandos!

I expect it's that most people consider Commandos to be animals ... they're probably still fighting over the left overs from the mines ... Yuk! :unsure:

:unsure::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I solved the problem of PJ's - I JUST DON'T WEAR THEM, simple huh?

:P :P :P

Hi Suzy,

I'm a swimmer but i'm RAKA. Ask your friend to swim w/o his legs, its gonna be much more easier. To make things easier, get the book Total Immersion by Terry Laughlin, he will be swimming like a fish in no time.

Someone once told me though that the worst thing about being an amputee, was that every time he went swimming - he swam in circles.

I'm sure that this was a stretch, but, it did make it's point.

Hi:

Jim T, the swimming in a circle is true. A bunch of us went to a beach cottage and I was the first one in the water. When I came up for "air" everyone was laughing like crazy. I gues snorkling, I was swimming in a circle, I'm an laka. :D

When I go swimming in a pool, I tell the lifeguard about my situation. They show me another way to get from the dressing room to the pool (because of the foot "bath" we usually have to go thru.

Then he lets me walk to the pool with my shoes on. And when I get to the pool side I slide my leg off and he "stands it up somewhere close"

I've never had any problems.

And "wear" shorts to sleep in.

Lynne

Yeah, I know Lynne. Being a swimmer myself, I discovered that what was said to me in jest and for my benefit as a "pick-me-up", was in fact - fact.

But, that was told to me right after I lost my leg and felt that my world had fallen apart. I was 52 and very physically active at that time, (and still are for my age now). How was I to manage? What was the worst thing? I really wanted to know so that I could confront it - and conquer it.

'The worst thing about losing a leg is that everytime you go swimming you swim in circles."

I think that it was meant at that moment more a declaration of attitude, than a given fact - that it turned out to be.

It worked though. That has been my attitude ever since.

(And of course, I am being very general here when I say that is the worst thing. I know that we all have our "war stories" that would contradict that. The statement was meant only as an attitude.)

I know that you understood that, but I thought that I would add the caveat for any purists that might read this and think I was making light.

I know that you understood that, but I thought that I would add the caveat for any purists that might read this and think I was making light.

In a post elsewhere, I suggested having a swim leg fitted with a propeller to minimise the required effort. Seemed like a good idea, until someone pointed out that this too would lead to going round in circles. Maybe thats what we are destined to do :lol: :lol:

By the way, what are pyjamas :)

Someone once told me though that the worst thing about being an amputee, was that every time he went swimming - he swam in circles.

It's probably what you're used to: I learnt to swim with just one foot & so naturaly positioned my foot towards the mid-line of my body & had no problems. To tell you the truth, Jim, I found swimming with one foot a lot easier than with no feet. :P

Lizzie :)

that what was said to me in jest and for my benefit as a "pick-me-up".................

I think that it was meant at that moment more a declaration of attitude..........

Although I must admit that I did tend to turn ever so slightly toward starboard.

...can you swim facing backwards..? :unsure:

Roz. :)

I suggested having a swim leg fitted with a propeller to minimise the required effort.

Mike get yourself one of these babies! :)

http://www.lazyboneuk.com/store/pro60.html

Saves energy and clears the pool in seconds!!

I would propose a ramming speed of 8 knots. Captain Kirk you have the com!

PJ :D

I suggested having a swim leg fitted with a propeller to minimise the required effort.

Mike get yourself one of these babies! :)

http://www.lazyboneuk.com/store/pro60.html

Saves energy and clears the pool in seconds!!

I would propose a ramming speed of 8 knots. Captain Kirk you have the com!

PJ :D

Ohhhhh Yessssssssss ..... I want one of those babies :lol:

Coming through