Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
dancingfool

Entice me

No!! it's not for me thankyou!!. You cant beat the warm sunny days in West Yorkshire, not that we get that many of them!! but the countryside is something else when the weather is fine :)

What's do you consider "warm and sunny" in your parts?

Me... I need a mediterranean climate 24/7, I moved from Seattle (Capitol Hill and Medina) for that very reason. I need to be able to hop on a bike at 4am and ride 60mi or go surfing at dawn in 65-70 degree weather.

I like it warm and sunny, it's just that in these parts the average for this time of year is 67-68 degrees. The last few days have been in the low 70's and not a cloud in the sky, it is forcast to reach to low 80's next week, :D and that's the kind of weather i like. The most of Europe is having a heatwave at the moment, and normally the weather in Northern England is poor.

I like it warm and sunny, it's just that in these parts the average for this time of year is 67-68 degrees. The last few days have been in the low 70's and not a cloud in the sky, it is forcast to reach to low 80's next week, :D and that's the kind of weather i like. The most of Europe is having a heatwave at the moment, and normally the weather in Northern England is poor.

Sounds about like Seattle, I do like the climate ofthe British Isles especially the foggy north, but I couldn't live there, to me 75-80 is boarderline chilly/luke warm.

It seems as if the whole world is in a heat wave at the moment, it got up to 100F today (120F in some places), we got back from a BBQ in Hunnington Beach with a bunch of family, at about 11:00pm it was 74F.

Feel free to send some of that cool breeze my way. B)

It seems as if the whole world is in a heat wave at the moment,

:blink: .......not the whole world :huh:

Yes, pretty much the whole world IS experiencing higher than normal heat of late. The majority of the land mass in the southern hemisphere as well as population lays north of 23.5S, and is quite warm despite the "winter" season.

Winnipeg Canada:

Small city / hot in the summer / very cold in the winter / big sky / good people / multi ethnic / great folk festival in summer / great beaches in summer / BIG mosquitoes in summer

ED

My father-in-law was from Winnipeg. He still has family there. We were supposed to go there last summer but my husband died July 14th.

JudyH

3) I ALWAYS see at least one movie star at the local Whole Foods, Best Buy, or Gas Station.

Is that a good thing?

Of course all of this comes at a price... be prepared to pay $4.00 for a gallon of gas, be prepared to be cut off and given the finger by a 16-year old Paris Hilton wannabe driving a $100,000 BMW and listening to Pop-drivel on her Ipod, and a small 2-bedroom apt. can easily run $4000-$5000. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

As long as I can flip her off in return...

Here in New Brunswick we have the most beeautiful scenery around Canada. Lets not forget the bluegrass music of course the best in Canada, lol myself included, lol hehehe, best of fishing and wale watching to.

post-1907-1153449916_thumb.jpg

3) I ALWAYS see at least one movie star at the local Whole Foods, Best Buy, or Gas Station.

Is that a good thing?

Of course all of this comes at a price... be prepared to pay $4.00 for a gallon of gas, be prepared to be cut off and given the finger by a 16-year old Paris Hilton wannabe driving a $100,000 BMW and listening to Pop-drivel on her Ipod, and a small 2-bedroom apt. can easily run $4000-$5000. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

As long as I can flip her off in return...

Yea, usually that's a good thing, as long as it's not a cheezy celebrity (I won't name names). We go to most of the movie premiers in Westwood as our schedule allows and at the afterparties we've met some very cool, and very NOT COOL movie stars.

Be my guest.

Well, coming down somewhat from the lofty heights of Bel Air society... How does one "entice" with Downey, California?

We're definitely NOT Bel Air. People who just drive through town on one of the "main drags" think of us as one big industrial strip, as that's what you see on the surface. But get off the main drag and head down a side street or two......

We have lovely old homes, built on the site of former orange groves, with at least a couple of fruit trees in most of the yards. We have a drive-in burger joint with regular clasic-car cruise nights and roller-skating waitresses. Our self-designed / self-built floats for the annual Tournament of Roses parade have won awards several times... and we raise part of the funds to build the float with a series of ice cream socials held during our summertime concerts in the park. We have a number of quite lovely little city parks, and an annual street fair, a Greek festival, a Christmas parade, a children's talent show... lots and lots of civic activities.

And, oh yes, despite that small-town description, we have over 100,000 people living here. It is, literally, a "small town" comprised of 104,000 of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet... people like my co-workers, who, when my medical problems began three years ago, heard that I was about to exhaust my sick leave and started donating their own sick days to me. Nearly 100 days, to be exact. Because of my fellow Downeyites, I was able to be off work for over 10 months of that three-year period and NEVER ran out of sick leave. Because of my friends and neighbors, I NEVER had to worry about how to get to an appointment, or what to do about the groceries... they hauled me places, kept me fed, did my shopping, my banking, paid my bills when I was in the hospital, brought home-cooked meals, cleaned my apartment, did my laundry... and looked embarrassed when I offered them my thanks. "That's what people DO," they protested... and I guess that here, in this heavily populated small town, they're right: that's what people do -- they CARE.

So there's my town... not spectacular or exciting... just your basic SoCal city... but I love it, and I'm glad I was "enticed" to live here.

I'd say we're relatively close (about 20mi give or take) although yesterday at 3:00pm it took 1:10 to go about 10 miles from our house to Hanger Prosthetics (south of the 110/10 interchange) for my first appointment with them. Yeah, gotta love L.A. traffic! When it comes time to get my perminent legs I think I'll go to the Hanger in Irvine, it usually only takes about 40min to get down there in bad traffic and my wife's family lives mostly in Newport and Laguna.

I don't get inland much, I bet it's been uber-hot where you are. We were at about 97F-100F for a while, now it's about 80F and it seems cold.

I wonder how many other members are in the greater L.A. area?

I'm aware of one other... VeryScared is in the general vicinity.

Yep, we're hot-hot-hot here... Downey is always this little "pocket of heat," running a few degrees warmer than LA proper. Sounds like we're going about five degrees higher than you... at least the last couple of days have not been so terribly humid! (If I'd wanted Midwest heat and humidity, I'd have moved there!)