Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Woodstock79

Any Good Books?

Hello All,

I have decided to start researching as much as I can about bka and the pros and cons for different types of legs, etc. I currently have the pin system and it is very heavy and causes some pain. I have only had it for about 6 days and have had rehab 2xs but everytime I try to walk it hurts. So, I am looking for some reading material that will enlighten me. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any input.

Diane

I'm not sure of books available, but I go to the annual ACA conference to find out what's new and innovative in prosthetics. Some legpeople get hung up on one size fits all and that's what they prescribe for everyone. That isn't for me. I want to go through the rest on my life with as little hinderance from my prosthesis as I can. I go to a legman who is pretty up-to-date with all the new technology. When I mention something different to him, he usually knows if it will work for me. I've called him with ideas before that he didn't have an answer for, he's 100 miles away, but he will find out about it and call me when he has the knowledge.

I'm seeing him on the 29th for my new fitting for a seal-in liner by Ossur. I should receive it in January.

In the meantime, look at everything available from the various manufacturers on their respective websites. There are lots of good things out there.

If you don't like the pin or suction, what do you wear Marcus? I've worn both of the above and have had great success with them. I guess I want to be a guinea pig because I want to try the seal-in by Ossur. I've heard it isn't for everyone. From what I learned from Matt Henderson at the conference this summer, the seal-in works best with a double wall socket. One tends to lose suction when sitting if only a single wall.

Any thoughts?

I currently have the pin system and it is very heavy

I use a pin system and I thought it was heavy at first but from what I've gleaned from my prosthetist it is no heavier than your original leg (it may even be a bit lighter). I guess your body just adjusts to not having that weight at the end of the stump following amputation then when that weight comes back again it all feels a lot heavier than before.

I must say that I like the secure feeling of the pin system.

Security was the reason for my choosing the pin system. I thought that when I ride a horse again it'll be more secure than suction, especially if I hit the saddle wrong and break the seal or whatever. I should probably give it more time to get used to it as it has only been a week that I have had my leg. Thanks for the info though, and it is a shame that there aren't books available to inform us newbies what to expect, what to look out for, etc.

Diane

'Scuse my ignorance, what's a double wall socket??

Thanks

Ally

Oh :huh:

Thanks Marcus.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

See now - that makes far more sense to me!

Hehehehe......

Hi Woodstock:

We are in the same aura! wow woodstock. I'm from Britain so my first "adoration"was to the beatles. Well I lived in Liverpool, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Gerry and the Pacemakers etc.............. I really could go on.

But your question???

Have you ever read "Reach for the Sky", Douglas Bader, a double amputee in the WW2, he few a spit fire with my Dad.

It's an amazing book. I actually I think all amputees should read.

Luv

Lynne

Hi Melaussie:

Yes I know, but I've told him why I'm unable to get my Dad's "autobigophy book".

But when I get it he will be the first to get a copy.

Please don't think I've forgotton! Actually Ed has read Bader's book I believe and strangly enough he met Bader, way before Ed's amputations. Funny how that works eh.

Anyway Melaussie, I have not forgot

Lynne

Hi Lynne,

Thanks I'll have to get a copy of that book. Have you noticed that todays youth have discovered the music we grew up on is actually, as my 17 year old son put it "Really cool"? LOL

Diane

Mate I'm sure you haven't.....just know he raises it at ever opportunity and it was just a gentle reminder for you. Hey lucky Ed isn't into the Beatles as well.