Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
knoxy103

Amputee Athletes

Hi there guys. I'm a student at Nottingham Trent University and I’m doing a dissertation on disabled athletes, and in particular amputees. I’m looking at what has influenced the advancement of prosthetic design and what has allowed amputee athletes to be so athletically able? What do people think about prosthesis' at present? What have been the main drivers behind the advancement? Do people think that amputee's will ever compete against able bodied athletes? I’d love to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

My name is jon jenkins and I appreciate your thoughts. There are alot of people out there abled and disabled with the same thoughts. I am an upper body amputee that has been bodybuilding for 9 years and competitive powerlifting for 6 months. I am missing my right hand below the elbow and have made a strap to allow me to deadlift as much as I want and a pad to bench press. The first competition I entered was a usapl meet. There were no disabled classes to enter but they let me enter with no questions askd. I took 1st place over all in the 198 class. Bench pressing 215lbs, deadlifting 410. Another organization I am a member of is the WABDL. I recently took 1st place at the world finals in Reno NV for the 220lb weight class in disabled. I was told by the owner of the wabdl that in the 30 years of wabdl history I am the 1st upper body amputee he's seen compete. I took 1st in the deadlift. Deadlifting 435lbs, second in the bench, pressing 236.5lbs off my chest. My goal is to educate upper body amputees that this is possible. contact me at 406-756-5917 again thankyou for your question, Jon Jenkins.

I’m looking at what has influenced the advancement of prosthetic design and what has allowed amputee athletes to be so athletically able?
It probably depends upon the sport, as you aren't allowed to compete with a prosthesis when you competitively swim.

Lizzie

Hey Jon Jenkins,

Just wanted to congratulate you on your fantastic achievement!!

I mean, WOW, that's pretty impressive. Good job! ;)

Hi guys

Thank you for your replys, even if quite long ago, I have been busy trying to do lots of research for my dissertation.

I was looking in to the Cheetah Flex-Foot. I noticed that it was (appropriately) based on the physiology of a real Cheetah; does that mean they design it around a Cheetah and therefore want it to be the fastest leg in the world, like the Cheetah is the fastest animal in the world?

I am also interested in the whole design process. What exactly are they designing for? Are you designing to make amputee athletes better and faster, even faster than able bodied athletes? What kind of research do you do before you started designing the Flex-Foot range?

If this may be the case what kind of things can we see in the future, i.e. London 2012 Olympic Games? Are you going to see much more advancement from what we can see now?

Hi there. I am a a/k amp and I ran the 100m Amblitiory In high school. I was pretty good. I won gold in OFSAA in 2004. I wasn't actually sure why I joined the track team. I guess I thaught that it would be fun. While tranning for my races, I would train with the able bodies. I aslo raced a couple of them and i can in 5th out of 7 witch is reallly good. Alot of prople kind of stared and wondered why I would run by my self, and I would go and just tell them that no one if as good as me so i'm in my own catagorie. I hope this will help you and if you need n e mor info just PM me and I will try to help.