Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Afet

Amputee Fined for Parking Rage

THEY LAUGHED IN MY FACE..I JUST FLIPPED

AMPUTEE FINED FOR PARKING RAGE

By Steven Ventura

26 November 2005

AN amputee was fined yesterday for a parking rage attack over a disabled space.

Graham Ewen, 31, got wound up when he saw a teenager parked in the disabled bay of his local ASDA - despite her not having an orange disability badge.

He smashed Fiona Tosh's rear windscreen as she reversed out of the space at the store in Bridge of Don, Aberdeen.

Moments earlier, his wife had held up his disabled badge to her to show she should not have parked there.

Ewen - with no previous convictions - admitted maliciously breaking the rear window on February 20.

He was ordered to pay £100 compensation towards the £215 cost of repairing the car and fined £80.

Taken from this page of The Daily Record Website.

I bet most of us have "felt" like doing that more than once. It seem's to me that the most unused word in the English language any more is "CONSIDERATIION". Somehow, more and more of the younger generation appears to never had heard it.

We've all been there! :angry:

Although, it's a shame he didn't have a lipstick with him, as he could have written something in bright red all over her car windscreen instead of smashing it. I've heard that lipstick on the windscreen gets the message across very well! ;)

Lizzie :)

despite her not having an orange disability badge.

I just love factual reporting ... It's been a blue badge for quite some time now <_<

Reminds me of an article I found on the BBC web site wher the police in Devon were urging the elderly to give up driving. The example used by the reporter was of a man in his 70's who had a "wooden leg" and had crashed his car into a plate glass window. Like having a prosthesis somehow made him a worse driver than any other elderly driver. I complained about this but have not had a reply from the BBC to date (despite them saying they reply within 10 days - its been over 20 now).

Jim it's not just the younger generation who have no consideration. There are plenty of older people who think that old age on its own guarantees them a space nearer the shops. The worst offenders are the people of my age who drive granny to the shops park in the disabled spot then leave poor old gran in the car like an abandoned dog :angry: I suppose one could offer the poor old dear a nice big chunk of Exlax chocolate and then stand back and watch the fun when AB shopper returns to poop filled car.

I read somewhere of a sticker campaign which pasted the following onto offending windscreeens ....

STUPIDITY IS NOT A DISABILITY

Don't know how effective it was but I hope the glue was strong :lol:

I agree with Jim T 'CONSIDERATION' is very seldom used any more. However, I also agree with Muz, b/c it's not just the younger generation, though it does seem their the ones, most often, showing the lack of. Last summer, I went to drive into a handicap spot, the next thing I knew, this older man, pulled right up behind my car and hollered at me, saying, "Hey, that's my spot, I've been here waiting for it"!! I simply said, "well there was no one around here when I drove in" and believe me there wasn't or I would have given it to the older man, but with his attitude, NO WAY!! I then walked off and went into the store, I wasn't about to stand there and argue with someone that comes out of no where and tells me I've got his spot, like he owns the place. :blink::angry: Anyways, I came out of the store and his car was parked in the handicap spot right beside me. I left and went home, only once I got home I noticed my windshield wiper was all bent upward on the passenger side, which would have been the side closed to his car, as well as the outside cover that goes over my gas cap was all bent!!! :angry: Well needless to say, I was BS and lucky for him, I didn't notice it, until after I got home! I mean, it was absolutely fine when I got there, so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out!! I guess this just proves the lack of consideration has no boundries, which is truly sad. :(

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Though I can understand his anguish, I would have never gone that far, b/c NO ONE like that is worth my money!! :blink:

post-19-1133056662.gif

Hi

This has happened to all of us at one time or other. My daughter was looking for a disabled parking as I was on crutches without a prosthesis. We saw an elderly gentleman walking towards his car. My daugther walked up to him and asked him why he was parked there, he said he was old and on medication. She said but you have two good working legs, he told her she was harrassing him in public. Her answer to him was " But if you want to qualify for this parking it could always be arranged" needless to say he couldnt think of an answer.

Jenny

South Africa

:angry:

Hi

I have suggested to shop's and our local council that they could make a lot more Disabled parking space's without the Extra space at the side of each parking space and those people that cannot walk very far could use those one's and the people that need a wider space could use the one's with the extra width (ie) Wheelchair's and other mobile aids but so far no response.How easy is it to paint a few more disable bay's.? Then a notice saying wheelchair's only for the wide bay's.But I know that wont stop abuse of the bay's but it might stop us thinking why as he or she parking in that bay that I need for my wheelchair and he or she can walk a little.

Pat.

You know Muz and Shiela, you are absolutely correct. I have maligned many good young people who do show consideration, over many elderly or middle age who do not - rightly or wrongly. Being an "older guy", I remember this trend seeming to start in about 1963 and has been spiraling downwards ever since. (That would make many of them the older ones today.) Let's just say, that the word in general seem's to be on the decline. Thank you for calling it to my attention.

In California it is almost the opposite. When I first lost my leg, I was in pretty good shape physically, and it didn't take me long to be able to walk pretty close to normal. (For the first ten feet, I looked real good - still do - almost.) Just about every day, when I parked in a handicapped spot, someone would point and shake their finger at me and say - "That's for handicapped and you don't look like anything is wrong". (Even with my placard plainly visable.) I'd say, "Thank you, I've been working on it.', and walk away.

One day out on the pier in Santa Barbara, I was taking the family for lunch, and being summer time, I was wearing short pants. I also had taken my leg off to drive because it was sore. (I drove with my left foot.) We had no sooner parked in a handicapped slot, and some guy looking like he came from the "Reagan West Coast White House", (the motels near the pier), looked right at me, pointing and shaking his finger, and scolded me that "this is for handicapped parking". Even after my wife held up my handicapped sign. I got out of the car, and standing on my good leg, thrust my bare stump out and said, "Does this qualify me". His wife grabbed him by the ear, and told him that she had warned him about doing that, as she pulled him away.

Colorado is just as bad, but do you know that going on 14 years in Missouri, I have never had anyone contest my right to park in a handicapped slot. Californians just seem to have an "attitude". Ha! I know, I was born and raised there.

I've been annoyed at folks parking in the handicapped places with no placards as well, and while I'm tempted at times to do something about it I'm forced to remember that once in awhile I've simply forgotten to hang the placard up on the mirror. I will never be perfect, and while some folks are stupid and/or malicious they are also often simply capable of making a mistake, like me.

Hmm had that lesson drummed home to me today. We have a fairly new residents parking scheme in force along our road. It cost £60 a year for a permit to park on the road where we live although it doesn't guarantee one a place. we have to fight it out with all the other residents and visitors are allowed to park for up to one hour. People like myself with a disability parking permit do not have to purchase a residents permit but must display their disabilty permit. Guess who forgot last night and guess who had a £60 fine slapped on his windscreen :angry:

I do display another permit also issued by the council which allows me free parking in any local council owned car park. To get one of these I had to send copies of my disabilty parking permit to the council therefore it should be obvious that I must have said permit. Unfortunately the council wardens don't seem to operate on common sense although I have seen them turn a blind eye to blatant dangerous parking in the town centre. I must have just caught this one on a pissy day, maybe his old lady had a headache last night and his right hand was hurting :blink:

how did they know they were not disabled? they may have just forgotten thier disabled badge. I am waiting for the time when i park in a disabled bay and some one says some thign 2 me and my mates and im sure they will regret ever saying any thing. As me and my friends how ever many of us there would be would all start saying stuff back!!

You do not have to look disabled to be disabled! many disabled people need to realise this!

As me and my friends how ever many of us there would be would all start saying stuff back!!

... and then you would be (unfairly) branded as typical unruly youths of today, Andy, and then you'd realise that this is probaly the only time someone will see past your disabilty (although they still wouldn't be seeing the real person) <_<

"Never argue with an idiot - they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience".

I think this is a perfect quote for this situation. Hope Mike doesn't mind if I borrow it for a moment.

I'm impressed with the wisdom of the court as well. They rightly fined the man for criminal damage but only awarded less than half the cost of the windscreen to the girl. A fair ruling I'd say :)

:angry:

Hi

I have got home from shopping today I didn't wear my leg we were parked in a disabled bay my husband was getting the wheelchair out of the car a woman came over to him and said being you have a wheelchair could park in a normal bay as he could push me in it as her husband could not walk very far because he had arthritis my husband told her we need the extra space at the side of the car so I could get into the wheelchair she said cant she walk the short distance to the back of the car my husband said not with only one leg she said Ho she was then told there are wheelchairs in the store she then said I am not doing that he needs the exercise. I rest my case.

Pat.

ummm...WOW I get grumpy when people park their but..WOW I'm not an angery person I just figure they are disabled in the nature that they don't know where to park.

being a 19 year old some elderly people with permits give me nasty looks. I don't use the permit often but I had to fight to get it, I do qualify and some days i'm having a bad leg day. How ever I do feel bad using it when I know I can walk to school almost evey day.

The only time any one approached mme(Or rather my mom)On it was when I was 6 had just had my amputation and mom took me to the mall. Mom gets out this elderly gentlemen if ticked and goes to give her a piece of his mind. She then lifts her bald 6 year old with tubes comming out of her nose and a big bandage over her stump out of the car and the fellow backs off.

I've gotten nasty looks when I park there when me and my friends are out together. I guess they figure I'm using my nannys Disabled sign or something.

But like I said I fought to get it....because apparently legs grow back I wish I got the memo.