Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Suzy

Limb Fittings

I wonder if someone can answer this question for me. Perhaps it sounds stupid but it is not intended to. We have a friend "Tin Soldier" who has posted some messages hereabouts, anyway, he is visiting a friend who has lost both legs below the knee and wonder what are the little "pins" sticking out from his limbs? How do you fit an artificial limb on to that? We (wrongly) assumed that limbs would be fitted by suction or some other method. Is this something new?

Sorry to appear ignorant but we have never seen this before. Anyone we know without limbs just slips them on to their residual ones. "TIn Solider" said they almost look like screws.

Hope someone can help.

"TIn Solider" said they almost look like screws.

Sound like it possibly is the pinlock system where a machined pin which looks like a screw is attached to the end of a liner. This pin is then pushed into a corresponding hole in the bottom of the socket. The pin is ratchet locked into the socket by the machined grooves on the pin (which look like a screw thread) and hey presto leg attached in seconds. I should point out that the leg has a quick release button to disengage the pin, in the right circumstances this provides hours of fun :lol:

Thanks for the reply. Is the pin lock system used regularly? What sort of attachments do othes have?

I only ask because my Partner John has an artificial hand and it is one of those myoelectric fancy things. Looks like out of the Adams Family when it is re-charging.

Sorry to sound ignorant but since John lost his hand we have learned a lot about limbs, etc.

Suzy, I'm "Ignorant" on how to bake an apple pie, or how to fly a plane, but I am able to tear down a house and rebuild it piece by piece by myself.

There are a lot of things in this world that I am "Ignorant" of - None of which I am too stupid to learn. I just haven't yet. So don't apologize for asking any question. That's how we all learn.

Now, with that said, it sounds to me that you are talking about pins coming out from his limbs. Am I correct? If so, this is not totally unheard of, in cases of pins to support the bones, but it should have nothing to do with the prosthesis.

If however, it is the pin in the liner of the prosthesis that you are talking about, as John mentioned, then it is just another way of making a prosthesis. Mine has never had this system, and I prefer not to have it. Mine is by suction and a wedge.

Did it look something like this??

If it did, this is the pinlock system. The liner goes onto the limb, then the socket goes over the liner, then the pin 'clicks' into the socket at the bottom - and it stays there quite well I believe. No chance of it flying off my mistake.

pinlock.gif

Ally

Spot on! That picture is so accurate. Thanks.

I just had never seen one of these before (bet all the guys say that) - Sorry Administrator for the underlying tones.

Tin Soldier

Hi Suzy,

I have a pin system, and wouldn't be without it. It gives me confidence that the leg will not fall off and when I'm rushing about the place, I need to feel secure in the leg. The system is easy and I've not had any problems with it so far. I did try a suction leg, but did not have the same confidence.

I'm a RBK for 2 years now.

Sue

Aww I thought we were going to hear about someone with an oseo integrated prosthesis for a minut there :(

I've got the pin system as well. In fact I did have one of those liners that Ally showed for my first leg. Unfortunately although it was quite comfortable it was too stretchy and squidgy and my prosothesis would flop around on the end of my stump. I now have the Iceross Stablio liner which is much stiffer and holds the leg in place much more securely.

I thought we were going to hear about someone with an oseo integrated prosthesis

I was kind of hoping for that too.....

Muz,

I have an iceross sensil i think (fairly soft without fabric coating), which does allow my prosthesis to flap around like you said, does the stabilo make a huge difference over the less "robust" liners? Also does it effect the comfort level, esp when bending knee etc?

Cheers

Mike

Mike, I'd say the Stabilo is a lot different to the Alpha liner. It seems to grip a lot more securely some of this may have been due to the fact that my stump was shrinking rapidly at the time. The Iceross liners in general have a "matrix" of less stretchy fabric near the distal end of the liner. I think the idea being that the liner at that area can stretch more around the circumference but less so in the vertical direction. I had the Iceross Comfort liner with my second socket and a couple after that. it was only when I received my swim leg which was supplied with the Stabilo that I realised this liner might be better for me. The final one in the line up is the Iceross Sport but I haven't tried that one yet. Comfort level for me is quite good with the Stabilo but if you have used a softer liner for any length of time you may find it a bit stiff around the knee when the knee's bent. Having said that my job as a Comms Engineer has me crawling into all sorts of places on hands and knees and I don't have a lot of trouble with the liner.

Cheers Muz,

Will have to mention it next time I see my prosthetist, my current type seems ok when new then stretches and my leg flaps around a bit!

Mike

Hi Muz,

I have an Iceross Sport and I would recommend it - it holds me in the socket and there is no movement. It's really comfy and well padded at the distal end - my stump shape is very conicle and the Sport seems to be very good for easing the pressure at the end of the stump. I know they're expensive, but my prosthetist ordered mine to try and stop some of the movement and to help with the knee problems. When I put on the Sport liner, straight away the stump feels secure and held.

I've also had the Iceross Comfort and that was good too. At Roehampton I was given Alpha Max liners - but I don't like them - I find that I have to pad them out with a sock - too thin for my liking and just not enough support, especially at the distal end!

Sue

Hi all, I'm relatively new to all this only being a LBK since march this year.

I currently have an Iceross Comfort liner --- I'm told because of all the skin grafts on the front of my knee and stump. This has the pin lock system and I find it good and reasonably comfortable. Having said that I can only wear my leg for around 5 hours max, but this is increasing all the time.

I did have problems with my foot rotating as I walked initially but was told that if the leg flops around put on a cotton sock (provided in different thicknesses).

I have now been recast and everything is much better.

My leg -- when locked on -- feels so secure, and is so easy to don and doff

Hope this helps

John

Hi All

I have the pinlock system as well and use the iceross original clear. Haven't had any problems although I feel at times that I am going to put a fingernail through it when I am putting it on. I did discover today after wearing it the past 2 days for more than 6 hours each day that I have a blister near my incision. It is small but worrisome for me since I have felt such a great sense of freedom while wearing my leg and don't want to have to stop for a few days. I plan on calling my doc in the morning to make sure this isn't a problem but thought I'd ask all of you if you have any advise on how to deal with the blister.

Diane

They have done a fair bit of it (osseo) over here and I was talking to a guy about it last week. They actually insert pins all the way across the femur to create additional support. Aparently full weight baring takes quite some time and needs to be done over a long period of time. If for some reason it doesn't take the turn around time is about 12 months-by the time you have it all taken out again.

Think it would be effective and minimal weight ie no socket or liner weight but I'm not prepared to go through the proces if it's not successful.

Still they are reccommneding it whereever possible and it's done heaps in Sweden.

Plus it also looks really sore-even though apparently it's not.

Mel.