Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Suzy

Car Conversions

Ok Posters

Tin Solider Here.

I am now out of military rehab and starting to get back into "normal" life again. Where do you lot go for your hand controls. I am a double below knee amputatee and am looking for someone in the UK to adapt a car to hand controls. Have been told that Jeff Gosling is good but conversions can look ugly.

I know if I go to my local mobility garage they will have a car adapted but I was contemplating buying the car myself and having it converted.

Anyone care to reply?

Hi

There is no problem buying your own car and having it adapted, but speaking as a bilateral b/k also, some cars are more comfortable to drive than others and some cars which accommodate the controls better than others.

There are mobility assessment places in different areas where you can try out various models with the adaptions. I don't have the names and addresses to hand, but will try and get back to you on that, unless anyone else on here can come up with some quicker, it depends whereabouts in the UK you are. I think there is one in Berkshire and also one in Surrey.

For myself, I drive an automatic, have the push/pull single combined control and have a steering knob, am currently driving a Scenic which is very comfortable to drive.

There is probably lots of info. regarding this on the web., try looking at the Disabled Drivers Assoc., the Limbless Assoc., Motability and groups such as that there are prob. links.

Ann

Hi

Contact Ricability,

30 Angel Gate, City road, London EC1V 2PT

Tel: 020 7427 2460

Fax:020 7427 2468

email: mail@ricability.org.uk

www.ricability.org.uk

Ricability is a charity which researches and publishes info. on products and services for disabled people. They can send you a booklet which has tons of info. on hand controls etc., and the names and addresses of where to buy them.

Ann

Tin Soldier, I was advised by a disabled driving instructor to go to Mobility Conversions in Salford to have my car converted, rather than Jeff Goslings. They were very efficient, we were there about three hours and it cost £350, that was for a left foot accelerator.

Have a look for yourself at mobilityconversions.com. Hope this helps.

I to am a bi-lat bk amputee. I had the push pull system put on my automatic VW Bora. Cost again was around £350.00.

I was told it was a legal requirement, to have hand controls and power steering.

I was amazed when a young lady, on this site, who I belive is also Bi-lat BK passed her test recently in a manual car without any adaptions.:o Fantastic, well done.

I occassionally use my feet, just to practise, but couldn't do it all the time.

I attended a centre in Berkshire but to be honest it didn't tell me anything new.

Best wishes,

Mike.

I was amazed when a young lady, on this site, who I belive is also Bi-lat BK passed her test recently in a manual car without any adaptions. :o Fantastic, well done.

I don't know about you Mike, but I don't think I'd feel safe driving a car without knowing exactly where my feet were! :o Anyway, there are definate advantages to using hand controls.

Lizzie

I totally agree, the reaction time for emergency braking has got to be impaired due to the weight distribution.

I know there will be a few bi-lats who will disagree with this statement and I don't wish to offend. I know how sensitive we all are when our skills are put into question.

Mike.

Tin Soldier, speak with the people at Access to Work

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Custom...e/AccesstoWork/

If you are seeking work or education they may pay for the adjustment to your vehicle, they have ppaid for 3 conversions for me! Contact them before the coversion though.

PJ :)