Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
snowyh

Big Howdy from Texas!

Hello, All. My name is Helen and I had a right forequarter amputation (arm, shoulder, collar bone & shoulder blade) at age 15 due to osteogenic sarcoma. I have, but rarely wear, a shoulder prosthesis--no arm pros. I'm a CPA, currently working as Director of Accounting for a national non-profit organization (10 years now). I'm 49 years old, have never been married, and have no children. My interests are hiking, tent camping, treehouses, antique biplanes, yodeling & acoustic folk music.

I am an active member of several amputee forums & Yahoo discussion groups, which is where I first heard of devotees (this all came about last year, mind you). Since then I have learned a lot about the atttraction, and have even joined a disabled dating website. Am curently corresponding with a few devs, and have found them to be intelligent, articulate & respectful on the whole. I think I'm as curious about them as they are about me!

Hey Hellen,

Welcome to the forum!

I am from a little further South than you, I am from Alice, Texas.

Did my rehab in Houston at TIRR, as well as many surgeries at the Medical Center, Herman Memorial, and even Christus St. Joseph.

I am 51 years old, married for 30 years to the same wonderful woman, with one son. I am a bilateral knee disarticulate since April '03, after a severe allergic reaction to an Oak Tree (hit one with my pick-up truck). Wear both the short non articulating prosthetics (Stubbies) and the longer articulating C-Legs.

I have been off work since the accident, will be returning to work Tuesday Morning, Jan 10th!

This retirement on a fixed income is not all that it's cracked up to be! I have had all of the time off that I always wanted, but no cash! And once again, I will have the cash, but no time off!

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

Ted, only one more day before reapplying nose to grindstone--hope you do something fun with your last day of freedom! If you're ever in Houston, give me a shout.

Hi Helen

Welcome here to our forum, and I live about an hour from you.

Lesley