Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
doggie

Shrink socks?

I was given a Juzo shrinker following my amputation and I specifically asked if it should be worn at night and was told definitely not as I would be at risk from thrombosis. For info I am an amp as a result of trauma and not circulatory problems.

These different posts suggest that even the professionals have different ways of looking at the same situation. That is why it is extremely important to have full confidence in your doctor or your CP, and then go with your instincts. My 43 operations (most to correct the problems, created by correcting the problems), are a definite indication, that even "professionals" don't always get everything right.

My personal experience tells me not to wear one at night, so I do not. Another's may be different. I try not to give advice - just to relate my experiences and what has or has not worked for me.

Good luck. You'll find your own way. My suggestion is to listen to all and then try for yourself. (That is a suggestion - not an advice)

I see that this subject - the different advice given by health professionals regarding Juzo socks and whether they are to be worn at night - has come up again. Last time was around 2 years ago.

When I was still in hospital, my very experienced physiotherapist at the time told me quite categorically to NEVER wear mine at night, as they could cut off my circulation. So I never did.

After my rehabilitation period and when I was issued with prostheses, I found myself wearing my legs all day, so would never end up wearing my Juzo socks.

So I was quite surprised a couple of years ago to read that some members here would wear them at night. So I decided to ask my current physio at that time (different to the first one) whether they could be worn at night. I was told I could and that they would pose no problem for me. :blink:

So it seems, as Jim correctly stated, that health professionals have differing opinions+ on the way some things are/should be.

Again, to quote Jim:

My suggestion is to listen to all and then try for yourself.

I think this is a good suggestion, seeing as there is no definitive answer.

Me?

With the knowledge that I could wear them at night with no risk of causing any damage, I did try it a couple of times. On the occasions I did, I was lucky if they stayed on til the morning. Not cause it could come off by itself. But rather, because I would get so fed up with them I would yank them off myself! Sometimes I'd do that in my sleep too! :wub:

I don't bother anymore.

Never even used to like wearing tights (stockings) before when I had legs. <_<

Well I have the same shrinker sock which I was told to wear at night (same as Muz trauma accident) but I can't stand wearing it. I tried for a little while but in vain-in addition I cut the belt off to hold it on and it falls off so I figured why bother.

Mine doesn't have a belt. It's just stretchy - Juzo sock.

Yep this is a Juzo too but obviously with attachments-lucky me; lucky I chopped them!!! The belt makes it ever so sexy & stylish especially for night wear :P B) ;)

Kinda like a little garter belt... :P

Maybe the Juzos for AK have belt and the BKs don't?

Maybe the Juzos for AK have belt and the BKs don't?

I have both varieties & I can confirm that you've got it in one! :) The AK Juzo's have the snazzy belt & the BK's don't...lucky BK's that's all I can say! :P

Lizzie :)

Marcia I wish it was as sexy and comfortable as a garter belt; it's like strapping yourself for a disney ride. :D :D :D

it's like strapping yourself for a disney ride

I don't find it that secure, Mel...mine seems to twist around all the time! :o

Marcia, if you want to know what the garter looks like, take a look here.

Lizzie :)

Well, a Disney ride can be fun..... :P

That's not what I was imagining at all!! That's pretty funny. So not only do we get

to lose our leg(s) but we get to wear strange garments B)

Rate the Y's or the potatoes? :lol: