Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Woodstock79

Botox injections to decrease sweat?

Afet, Larry

Thank you both for the information on the Pro Tex Liner.

Whilst I'm at the centre tomorrow I will ask the question.

Today has been a bad day for blotches and sore spots, so anything that can help is going to be most welcome.

Update ... Iceross ... Pro Tex ... The meaning of life ... The universe ... The .....

Whilst at the centre for the fitting of a new socket, I had the opportunity to discuss the Iceross Stabilo problems .. Blotches .. sore patches .. irritation etc.

Although they have encountered the same problems on other patients, they have no explanation as to the cause. Therefore, we have agreed that I should try another type of liner with a coating designed not irritate the skin. All being well I will have this in the next day or so, and will keep you posted.

With regard to pro Tex liners, the prosthetist that I see at the centre has not come across these, but she will make enquiries from Blatchford and advise me accordingly.

Hey everyone,

sorry to drag up this old topic, but I am getting recurring folliculitis. My prosthetist has suggested botox to reduce the amount of sweat.

He has said that he wants to find out a little more about it, as am I trying to look for some more info also.

Has anyone had this??

Andy x

I stand by my initial reaction to this - poison in your stump? Not for me! :glare:

Hi Everyone

Was at the proths today and he said that he was going to learn how to inject Botox into stumps to decrease the amount of sweat that occurs inside the liner. Has anyone heard of this before? Apparently, the Botox cannot be injected randomly, there are exact sites that the injections must be placed. When I asked for further info Doc got testy and said that he had to learn it first before he could answer any more questions. Just wondering if anyone has come across this.

Diane

Hi Diane

I once new of an AK amputee that used Botox to try and relax a hip flexion contracture. It did not work.

I have not heard or seen any significant study that supports Botox injection in your limb to help reduce sweat. Would exhaust all options first.

If you are sweating just in your socket some common causes of sweat are: socket/liner fit too loose, lack of limb contact, certain medications, change of life, poor suspension causing your limb to have movement=friction=heat=sweat. Using Ag Comfort sock or any quality sock designed for under your liner will help. Different things work for different people. Hope you find what helps you :smile:

Take care, Mark :biggrin:

I totally agree with Ally, no botox in this residual! Now my face, well that's another story!!! :laugh::wink:

I wish anyone good luck, should they decide to have the injections.

Sheila :smile:

lbk- Maine, USA

Hello group

This may well leave me with egg on my face because I have been so vocal about NOT using Botox for residual limb sweating......I still won't go there, but I have been given the following information from a GP who uses Botox......

For amputees, he reckons that the injections are applied very near to the surface of the skin, and theoretically should not cause any muscle damage (although he said it may cause a little weakening in some cases).

He would recommend it to amputees with excessive sweating. I said, but if you're supposed to sweat, then what happens when you stop it?

He said, Ally, there are plenty other places your body can sweat from.

So there you have it.....from my GP.

Ally

:blush:

I find just applying any anti-perspirant prior to anything strenuous helps a lot. Especially when I ride my bike, it cuts down greatly on the amount of perspiration inside the liner. I'm hoping as the weather gets hotter it will still work as well.

:rolleyes:

He said, Ally, there are plenty other places your body can sweat from.

Ally

:blush:

Somewhere, I think on this forum, I read that your feet have more sweat glands than any other place on your body. So it stands to reason, that if your foot, or feet, are gone you will sweat more somewhere else. Since my amp, I sweat more in general, but my head sweats ... a lot. In the summer, it seems my head is always wet, which makes for some really bad hair days. I'm thinking that because I'm missing a foot my head took over? :unsure: Makes sense to me.

My stumpy used to sweat a lot but since I've been in this vacuum system, hardly at all. Go figure....