Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Ally

Does anyone want to stop smoking?

Ally, I smoked for several years when I worked in an insurance office...then Hubby and I decided to quit & we did (with no trouble) :unsure::blink: Yep, then several years later hubby decided to start again and off and on he would offer me a puff....well, I finally was hooked again.

:( Can you imagine we did this 3 different occasions and always went back to smoking. You see it really bothered me to be around anyone that was smoking.

You know what the doctors say about smoking and cancer; heart touble; circulation, etc. Well , I quit a month before I had my heart attack. I am on alot of meds and they have put in 4 stents....won't do any surgery due to the attack just happening. Am very fortunate the medicine is working its magic....BUT I know one thing, these lips will never touch another cig. even though there are times I would love to have one.

I also use the gum sometimes...I do not like the patches....they do not stay on me.

You gals are doing a good thing. Keep it up!!! B) B) eag

Whew! I don't know if I could quit three times. I'm too much of a baby for that.

I am feeling much better though, I must say. I am asthmatic and when I was smoking, I had to use an inhaler twice a day. Now if I remember to use it once every 2 or 3 days, I'm lucky.

Amazing hey? What we don't put our poor old bodies through. :unsure:

There used to be a popular song back in the 40's by Tex Ritter. It went:

Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette.

Smoke, smoke, smoke until you smoke yourself to death

You'll say, "Peter at the Golden Gate,

That you'll just have to wait,

For I've got to have another cigarette".

How very, very true. My brother died in 1965 at the age of 33. He came home from a party and laid down on a couch with a lighted cigarette - fell asleep, and barbecued all night. He lived for awhile, but they were going to amputate both of his arms and his legs because his vessels were collapsing. He died just hours before the surgery.

The insanity is that I kept on smoking - and drinking, (at that time). Today, I haven't had a drink in over 26 years, or a cigarette in over 18. Thank God, I'm not a slave to either one of them anymore.

I knew that I could quit any time that I wanted though - I know, because I did it hundreds of times. To me there is no halfway. Either I quit 100%, or I don't 100%. No gum, patches, pretend beer, or any other crutches.

After all of these years, I still know that just one (drink, or smoke), and I'm right back where I was. I just don't play games with either of them. Both nearly ruined my life once. I don't know if I've enough time in life for another "quit".

Ally--

What a great job you are doing! B)

My hat is off to you! ;)

Patti

Thank you Patti - although I'm not so sure.

If it wasn't for Jim's post today, I am sure I would have had 'just one'. I am in SUCH A FOUL MOOD.

Eish - I am not a nice person today.

Ally

<_<

Hi Jim,

Great post. Sorry about your brother. I just copied your post & sent it to my sister. You know, as I do, you can't make someone quit. However, lil stories like this have a way of haunting our consciences. ;)

Stay strong Ally. You have made it past the first hurdle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Linda

Ally--

You're doing wonderful! Yes, stay strong & remember we all are here for you on your good days & your bad days, too. Remember -- Babysteps!! :D

Patti

You girls are doing GREAT, keep up the good work!! You know, while I was in the hospital, my granddaughter made me a little small beaded thingie, that had a few beads on it with knots at each end. She said I could have this to chew on, so that I wouldn't want a cig again and it sure came in handy!! ;) It truly made me realize just how much I wanted to be around to see her and my grandson grow up. :D I knew if I had kept on smoking, the chances would be slim of ever seeing that day. I still have the thingie, 10yrs later, only no more chewing, :P I just keep it as a wonderful reminder, of how she wanted me to get well and be at her graduation, which I was in 2004!! ;)

I believe in you girls, b/c I know you believe in what you're doing, or you woudn't be doing it!! We're all here pulling for ya!! I know it gets frustrating at times, but someitmes we have to go through the bad days, before we can see the good days and good health ahead!! Good Luck ;)

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Keep the faith, baby. Somebody gave me this tip - when you have the craving, take a deep breath and then exhale - like you just took a drag - and I swear it helps. You're doing good.

One peice of useless information that I learned when giving up was that if you chew a single peice of sugar free gum for more than 2 hours it turns into a white paste, suddenly and without warning :) Must have chewed it too hard :D

Told you it was useless :P ;)

;) <_< Ally, you are making the grade....you will have days when you could just tear someone in million of pieces :angry: you are just angry @ the whole world....but I know you can do it...just don't take that next puff....it will be your downfall. I am talking from experience here.

One of my worst times was in the morning w/a cup of coffee...or being around someone who was smoking...I just couldn't do it. After the 1st. few weeks it got much easier.

Hang in there :blink::blink: :P eag

Ally, keep on keeping on girl, it IS worth all the angst in the long run.

I went out last night to a local bar for a beer and a chat with my biking buddies. When I came home I could smell the smoke on my clothes and on me come to that, and I thought how disgusting is that.

I hate smoking now with a passion, the sooner they make public places smoke free the better.

You too will end up like this eventually :lol:

Thank you so much everyone. After 2 weeks, I just had the worst 2 days imaginable. I wanted to kick the dog, slap my mother and toss the cat out the window. Awful.

I am going to see my doctor today and see if I can get a prescription of Zyban. I can't carry on being such a cow. It's driving me insane.

I really want to do this thing - but I didn't think that after so long I would be battling so much.

So - today I see the doc, and hopefull I turn back into the nice sweet little girl I always was.

Sigh.

Nobody said it would be easy, I guess, but no-one said it'd be this hard....

Ally

Nobody said it would be easy, I guess, but no-one said it'd be this hard....

This is just your body trying it's hardest to make you cave in, a final attempt to beat you into submission.

It happens like this, but in a day or so it will get easier and you are then well on the way to beating it and becoming a non smoker.

Hang on in there, not far to go now.... Honest

When I came home I could smell the smoke on my clothes and on me come to that, and I thought how disgusting is that.

Hi Ally

Not to sound crude, but the first thing I noticed when I quit smoking was that my s*** really did stink. What an ego buster.

Your olfactory nerves that have been dormant for so long, suddenly wake up. And not just to the unpleasant things, but flowers, babies, and all the other sweet things in life.

Mike is absolutely correct. Old smokers really don't like to be around those who continue to smoke. IT STINKS. In the hair, clothes and everything, not just the breath.

A beautiful woman, all dressed up to kill - smelling like an outhouse, and having to stand outside the business door, on the street in the cold. How humiliating.

Yes, I was being blunt for effect, however it is true. I see people standing outside every day, trying to look cool while they are being ostricized from the work place. How cool is that?

Our 40 year old daughter who has always been the "sunshine of my life", has her own ash tray out on our back patio because we won't let her smoke in our house.

Is it difficult?? You bet, but it most definitely is worth it. I have always been a class A personality and thought that I ran the show, until I discovered that my smoking ran that part of me. I don't smoke today - not for health reasons (my doctors and nurses said that my lungs didn't even act like I smoked at all), even though that is a plus. I quit so that I wouldn't be a slave to it any more and could be in charge of myself once again. (At least in this regard)

Just wanting it is not enough - YOU'VE GOT TO WANT TO WANT IT

Okay, I'll get off my soap box. I am just trying to help. It's called "Tough Love".

I wanted to .....  toss the cat out the window

:blink: :P :angry: :P

I suppose getting a flight to Melbourne is one way to avoid cigarettes ;) :lol:

Sigh. Ok, well I guess this deserves an honest response.

From 11 January to 30 January I fell off the wagon twice. Two nights actually.

So now, from 31 January to 5 February I am completely back on track. It's a bit tough, but it's do-able.

And no more leaping off the wagon. It's now or never.

Thanks Mike. Now that I am looking at it in actual words, it looks terrible. Got to keep these socks of mine pulled up.

Although, if I work it out, I have NOT smoked about 880-900 cigarettes since the 11th. I guess that's not too bad, huh?

Ally

Ok we can forgive two slip-up's no one ever said it was going to be easy.

The great thing is that you are staying with it and that's the important bit.

You CAN do it, if for no other reason than there are a hundred or so people here who want you to.

Mind you, there are a hundred people here who would also plant a well aimed boot on yer a** if you don't. No pressure there then :lol: :lol:

Keep on keeping on - as my sainted grandmother used to say.

Hi Ally,

I second what Mike says. Do keep it up. It is worth it. I have managed just over three weeks since my blip now and it really has got loads and loads easier. Am not even thinking about it most of the time now.

Fiona

I have managed just over three weeks since my blip now and it really has got loads and loads easier. Am not even thinking about it most of the time now.

Fiona

Well good for you Fiona.

You keep on keeping on as well :lol:

Ally there is a wonderful book called Easyway to Stop smoking by Allen Carr.

My step son & his girl friend both heavy smokers read this book on their holiday last year, niether of them have smoked since!

I stopped many years ago now and have the waist line to prove It!!

PJ :)

I have also a waistline, but never have really smoked......for what is that a prove?

Nothing

QUOTE (melaussie @ Jan 12 2006, 12:26 PM)

Ally there is a wonderful book called Easyway to Stop smoking by Allen Carr.

My step son & his girl friend both heavy smokers read this book on their holiday last year, niether of them have smoked since!

I stopped many years ago now and have the waist line to prove It!!

PJ

Paul and Mel - I read that book the other day when I was at my prosthetists office. Good book. Has helped me to keep on track.

And I have lost my waistline.... :(