Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Ally

Does anyone want to stop smoking?

Hi Ally:

Well I asked if you wanted a partner in quitting smoking!

My Son and myself have set a date for Feb 21!

We are on a local site, which is geering us up for quit day. So hopefully I'll be with you as of FEB 21

I really want to do this.

Lynne

I had a waist once. I also had a memory - er, what's the topic? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Excellent... LOL!!!

:lol: :D I agree...that was great! :D :lol:

Lizzie :)

I can certainly relate to that :D

I think you both are doing great!! Lynne, so glad to hear you and your son have made the commitment also. After what happened to me I wish everyone would quit, :( which will never happen, so let me say, I am very proud of the ones that do and keep up the good work!! :D

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

post-14-1140298055.gif

Hey Lynne

Good stuff. What site are you on?

The one thing that kept me going, was the knowledge that the craving for a cigarette will never last more than 3 minutes.

THREE MINUTES.

Time it. Three minutes is do-able.

YAY! If you really want to do it, then you are more than half way there.

YAY!  If you really want to do it, then you are more than half way there.

You Gal's are doing just fabulous. Getting this far is a triumph. Your going to make it. I know. No more being a slave to something.

Many people want to quit, but never do. The secret is wanting to want it. I know that sounds like double talk, but think about it for a minute.

I used to want to quit, but I wasn't happy about it and didn't like wanting to quit. I didn't want to give up an old friend. (Who really wasn't a friend at all.)

Personality wise, the hardest thing for me to do is to tell myself, NO. I'm just not very good at that.

The secret to my not smoking, (18 yrs) - and drinking, (26 yrs) - is that I finally made up my mind that I really didn't want to any more. The pain was worse than the satisfaction. I don't tell myself that I can't - I just make sure that I don't want to.

And, I don't put myself in positions where I'm tempted, or do want to. I definitely do not play games with it. It took me 15 years of stop and go to quit the drinking, so when it came around to the smoking, I thought that it would be a breeze. NOT. They are two entirely different things.

I never "white knuckle" it, as they say. I take both of these very serious - and I always will.

I'm not out to change the world - just myself. But those that do want to quit, I try to be there to help. I hope this does in some small way. My pm address is always open.

Personality wise, the hardest thing for me to do is to tell myself, NO. I'm just not very good at that.

I am EXACTLY the same. I really battle to deny myself whatever it is that I want. I guess I'm really quite a hedonist B)

Ok, so I stopped smoking on 11 Jan, had a few slips, and now I am STILL the woman from hell. I am in a foul mood most of the time. Am I ever going to be a nice person again?

:(

Welllllllll Do you want the short answer, or the practical one.

Seriously though, of course. You are going to be just fine. It's kind of like asking if you would ever walk again once you lost your leg. Of course you can. You just had to learn a new way.

Smoking just takes a back seat, and after awhile, even though one cigarette might sound good for the moment, you realize that you've come so far, and don't want to throw it away. You are now becoming aware of just how much smoking was a part of your life, and really controlled much of it.

Every now and then, I look at my old pipe, or my cirgarette lighter lying on the work bench and think - ahhhhh. just one puff. But I know that just one puff would never be enough.

One is too many, and after that, - 10 are just not enough. That's the way that it works. Insidious as hell.

The thing that makes all the difference to me is that I am not a slave to it anymore. No more rushing back home because I forgot my cigarettes. No going out late at night for a pack. Not being told where to sit in a resturant.

FREEDOM!!. Well, of sorts. :lol: B) <_<

Ally--

I'm so happy and proud of you and everyone's accomplishment of being smoke free.

I am dedicate myself to the WANTING ITespecially after this last weekend. I finally found the need to WANT IT. This last Friday, Feb. 17, our family received some terrible news. My Dad has stage 4 lung cancer. The lung cancer has travel to the bones and possibly to his brain. The doctors are waiting for the results of the 2nd MRI. The doctors are estimating that Dad will have 2-4 weeks if he has brain cancer. If he does not have brain cancer, the Dad will have 3-6 months. Now these are only their estimates. No one really knows how long my Dad has.

I wish you all the best through your journey of getting yourself healthy & smoke free!

Patti

My prayers are also with you and your family.

Hi Everyone:

First Patty, my thoughts and prayers are with you. If there is anyway I can say or do something, please ask.

Ally we are on day 2. I'm online with a program here in Calgary. It's pretty good.

But I used a patch today and my heart was racing at about 148. So I took the patch off.

I feeling just plain lousy today.

Lynne

Thanks everyone for keeping my family in your thoughts & prayers!

Dad has improve a bit since the last time I wrote. Yesterday, the test results came back clear. Thank God for that. Dad walk around the whole 6th floor last night. Today, they had him try some steps. Dad said that wore him out. Dad's thought are clearer and he's not confused any more.

Mom Brought my Dad home today. The doctors said that he dosen't have any food restrictions. In fact, he can go back to everything he used to do before he ended up in the hospital. Mom will be calling hospice later this week. Dad has to go back to see the cancer doctor next week.

I really appreciate everyone support during this time. I just you to know 'll be spend a lot of time out at Mom's & Dad's. So if I don't post, it's because I stayed with them & they don't have a computer.

Patti

Ally we are on day 2. I'm online with a program here in Calgary. It's pretty good.

But I used a patch today and my heart was racing at about 148. So I took the patch off.

I feeling just plain lousy today.

Lynne

Thats par for the course Lynne, you have to work through these first few tough days, been there done that as they say.

Stay with it, believe me it's worth it in the long run. Every evening write a diary of how you have been a non smoker for another day, and how proud you are of yourself, it really helps.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Patti. I hope when you can, you'll keep us posted as to how things are going. ;)

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Thinking of you during this time Patti. Another grand hurdle that life throws at us. So sorry.

Lynne - it gets easier as time goes on. I still have off days where I think that I would like to smoke. But if I really thing about it, NAH, I don't want to. I've stopped picking up weight, and started to shed some of it. I think it's important to not worry about your weight in the beginning. That can just become a perfect excuse to give up on giving up.

Again, my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours, Patti.

Ally <--- breathing easier :)

Lynne - it gets easier as time goes on. I still have off days where I think that I would like to smoke. But if I really thing about it, NAH, I don't want to.

Ally <--- breathing easier :)

Talking like a non smoker already Ally. Told you it would get easier.

Well done you !!!

Eish Mike - I am still the wild woman from hell, bad tempered and mean spirited :huh:

But the good news is that I have started to shed some of the weight I have put on since the middle of January.....nearly there. Down about 5 pounds....probably another 2 or 3 to go. Jeez - that extra weight really crept up on me fast!

Thanks so much for the support. Really appreciate it.

:)

Ally,

I'm so proud of you! Even if you are now the woman from hell, mean spirited, and bad tempered! :lol: Being fiesty isn't always a bad thing... Plus, I just don't believe you, you are too sweet to be all of those things! :)

So, any tips on shedding the weight? Have you increased exercise, or do you think you've just gotten past the intial over-eating to replace the smoking? I've recently started back up on my exercise routine, as I HAVE to lose 10 lbs! My leg fits better, I feel better, etc., when I'm at a lower weight and I'm just tired of making excuses for myself, I just HAVE to do it!!

Anyway, GREAT JOB on quitting smoking!!!