Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Ally

Does anyone want to stop smoking?

Told you that you could do it. Told you that you could do it. :D :D :D

Very good Ally. Doesn't it feel good to be free??

Keep on - keepin' on

This goes for all the rest who are trying to quit also. Congratulations

Well, count me in! Hubby and I picked today, March 1 as quitting day. So far, so good.

It is nice to actually SMELL the coffee! And our little bird, Chester, probably appreciates it too!

;)

Nothing I cannot handle .... I have a chair and a whip :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am definitely going to leave that one alone :) :) :)

Very good Marilynn. Team work is always easier. Keep us posted.

Ally, it won't be long 'till every time you smell smoke you will scrunch up your face like this.

And if I remember correctly from your pictures on your web-site you were thin. Anyway I am soooooo glad you have quit.

:P (eag)

Day #2, still not smoking!

...Though my husband was so cranky this morning, I wanted to force him to smoke! :D

Today I REALLY wanted a smoke after my physical therapy! We did such baby steps today and I have a problem with trusting to put all my weight into the socket... When I got out of there, all I could think was SMOKE, NOW! But I didn't.

Wow!!

Learning to walk again and quitting smoking at the same time.

You do like your challenges - but somehow I bet that you are up to. My hats off to your husband too. You two make a good team.

Both of you deserve a - lollipop. (I bet that you thought I was going to say cigar.)

Wow!!

Learning to walk again and quitting smoking at the same time.

Hi Jim,

Tonight I'm having a bit of trouble with it -- fortunately, I can't go out and get smokes! :blink:

I keep thinking "what is in here to eat?" But THAT isn't the answer!!

I'm a bit worried because tomorrow I have to have yet another "bump" removed, and I'm hoping it is nothing (certainly it won't/can't be!)... but dagnabit, a person will look for any excuse to have what they shouldn't! :)

Marilyn

Well done - shoo, it's not that easy hey? Then again, when you really think about it, it's not that hard either.

Day 3 is a biggie. You need to get day 3 under your belt.

Then you have what is affectionately called 'hell week'. That's the next 4 days. It's not as bad as the first 3 days, but when you want a smoke, you get cranky and want to eat and you're not a terribly nice person.

But it's doable. You can get through hell week. You are halfway through it already!

Then the 2nd week is HECK week. Ah, there we go, getting better all the time. And then, well, then it's much easier.

And always ALWAYS remember that ANY craving you have will NEVER last more than 3 minutes. Never.

Yay for you! Let us know how it goes.

I have saved R1200.00 so far (very conservative estimation), and added almost 18 days to my life. I am on day 50 (with 2 slips, but those were over a month ago).

I can't remember the last time I woke up and wanted a smoke. And remember, that for over 20 years, I smoked more than 2 packs a day, and ALWAYS had my first ciggie before I even got out of bed.

Keep on keeping on,

Ally

:D

Oh - by the way - if you drink 100% pure Cranberry Juice - there is something in there that helps the cigarette craving be not so bad. Dunno what it is, but it does work. Just be careful, I drank about 2 litres a day, undiluted, and it's a bit fattening in huge quantities like that.

Eating whole oranges (with the white pith stuff still on) also does something that satisfies the body yelling out for nicotine.

Good luck

:)

Ally, like you I'm a "mega" smoker... 2 packs a day? Yep, I could do it with my eyes closed. This is morning 3, and I'm doing better than I was last night.

The coffee smells SO good! I could have caved easily, and twisted my hubby's arm to bring me smokes, but didn't. BUT I cannot afford to gain weight! Yikes! I'll have to be very mindful of what I put into my mouth now. Last night I ate a big bowl of popcorn. I refuse to be upset by this, but I'm not gonna cave into smoking or really pigging out either!

I think I'll clean when I get the urge. Maybe I'll have the cleanest house ever! :blink:

PS. Thanks for the advice about cranberry juice and oranges. I love both and will try this... I think they make a reduced sugar cranberry juice...

This came across my desk this morning, and I immediately thought about you folks who are in the agonies of quitting. :D :D :D

Tee hee hee,

So true so true so true.......

When I got up this morning I told myself - even though it is Friday and I am weak willed I will NOT go out for a drink after work tonight, I will go home, go to bed early and get up early tomorrow to go swimming.

Someone has just sent an email round about drinks, and I am going to go.....after which it is my friend's birthday party where it would be rude not to have a celebratory tipple with her....

But I am only going to have one - I promise....!

Fiona, I LOVE a drink also... be careful though, alcohol makes it TOO easy to give in to temptation!! Darn, why is everything we like bad for us???!!! :blink:

Ah, I really believe that a little bit of what you fancy does you good.

Hehehehehe - someone famous said that, I forget now who she was, but I like her a lot ;)

Blech!!!!!!!!!!! I had to post this in another forum (telling my friends that I caved) and so I'm just cut & pasting it here -- cause I can't bear to type it again!

I feel so crappy -- I caved and I'm smoking. I've beaten myself up for the last 24 hours. Hubby is doing well, hanging in there despite me (he gets major kudos for this!!).

I think it will be a bit easier for me when I'm not so homebound. When I can take a walk outside! Excuses, I know.

I didn't want to lie to my new friends! Blech. I'm my own worst enemy, you guys don't have to do a thing!

Hi Ally

I think you're wonderful.

My daughter is having her AK amputation this summer, and I am trying to get her to stop smoking until after the surgery. I will definitely get her to read your post.

Well done.

I'm my own worst enemy, you guys don't have to do a thing!

We can tell you it's not the end of the world. One slip along the way ain't so bad.

You might have lost a battle but the war can still go on .. Don't give up

I think it will be a bit easier for me when I'm not so homebound. When I can take a walk outside! Excuses, I know.

Like my former piano teacher used to tell me - "Practice, Practice, Practice". (I never did like that so gave it up way too soon. Darn!)

Anyway, you keep attacking it from every angle and eventually you'll wear the smoking demon down.

My most tempting times, were - when I was awake - or, half awake - or almost awake. Other than those times, I usually didn't have a problem wanting one.

Seriously though, it was when I was driving on long trips, or with my coffee, or right after a meal. Unfornately, we can't avoid all of them.

My greatest feeling of loss was that I no longer had a reason to carry my Zippo lighter. An old friend that I had in my pocket through school, college and the army, and many years after. It was my constant companion. (I still have it on my work bench to use when I have to light the blow torch.) My old pipe is stored away in a drawer somewhere.

You'll make it. I know these things. :D :D :D

Interesting what Ally and everyone has said on the subject.

I suppose one needs some sort of 'trigger' to make one stop? If one trigger doesn't, try another one.

Generally, amputees know smoking can make things worst for them, yet perhaps the incidence of smoking is higher among amputees? (I could be wrong) Is it something to do with the fact, they accept that they might die earlier? Lack of motiation for living to the full? Its harder for some amputees to live life to the full, especiallly if they feel more or less 'alone'.

Perhaps we should focus on trying to improve the quality of life 'for everyone' - the incidence of smoking may naturally fall away? What do you think?

Ian

Generally, amputees know smoking can make things worst for them, yet perhaps the incidence of smoking is higher among amputees? (I could be wrong) Is it something to do with the fact, they accept that they might die earlier? Lack of motiation for living to the full? Its harder for some amputees to live life to the full, especiallly if they feel more or less 'alone'.

You put forth an interesting thought on this Ian. However, I can't quite follow your thinking.

I don't see the correlation with wanting to smoke and having an amputation.

In addition, I just don't accept the fact that I might die any earlier than my non-amputee friends. As for living life to the fullest - I never stopped. I just took some time out to have my leg (BK) amputated and then jumped back on the horse again and rode. (While going through 43 operations mostly to correct "complications" from the earlier surgeries.)

I have two members of my family who might fit the description that you describe. One smokes while the other never has. Neither has been amputated either. However, both use what ailments they do have as an excuse for other excesses.

Blech!!!!!!!!!!! I had to post this in another forum (telling my friends that I caved) and so I'm just cut & pasting it here -- cause I can't bear to type it again!

I feel so crappy -- I caved and I'm smoking. I've beaten myself up for the last 24 hours. Hubby is doing well, hanging in there despite me (he gets major kudos for this!!).

I didn't want to lie to my new friends! Blech. I'm my own worst enemy, you guys don't have to do a thing!

Oh boy - never mind. Never mind. Never mind. Just think of it as a SLIP, and start stopping again.

I did.

And I am still stopped.

For now.

As for living life to the fullest - I never stopped. I just took some time out to have my leg (BK) amputated and then jumped back on the horse again and rode. .....

.... Neither has been amputated either. However, both use what ailments they do have as an excuse for other excesses.

Jim, I must agree with you on this one. If I didn't want to live life to the very fullest (smoking or not), then I'd just sit in the stinking wheelchair and not exercise and not go to pt, and not put forth the very BIG effort it takes to walk in a prothesis!!

My husband and I plan to resume hiking, camping and for me, my "extreme" flower gardening. That's just for starters!

And yes, I know a few people like you do that will use any minor excuse to "bow out" of life. I even know a woman who let all of her muscles atrophy because she simply won't get off the couch. No diseases other than extreme overweight and depression. She is now in a nursing home because she can't walk (even tho she has all her limbs.)... Sad, sad, sad...

It is about 40 days since I stopped smoking and I can say it has been HELL I loved my cigarettes and always had one lit. If I could have smoked two at a time I would have done. I have been using the patches and a Nicorette inhalator and could not possibly have stopped just using the patches alone.

I have dreamed about smoking a cigarette and enjoyed the dreams and I could murder one now. I have tried on many occasions before and failed. My wife got a hypnotist round and I couldn't wait for him to go so that I could light up. My wife went mad at me. :D I tried Zyban tablets and managed to stop for 8 weeks but I had a moment of stress and started again.

I am very proud of myself for managing 40 days and never believed I could make it past a morning without one. I started smoking at 7 years of age and have smoked for 40 years and now you know my age. :D I rolled my own using duty free tobacco because it was too expensive in the shops. I am getting the patches on prescription from the doctor and am buying the cartridges myself because the doctor said that I shouldn't be using both patches and inhalator.

Many of my friends still smoke and I am certain that if I even tried a drag I would probably undo all the work I have struggled to achieve so far and be back smoking again.

I am trying to get the osseointegration operation and I was told that if I smoked I would be reducing the odds of the operation being successful. The immune system apparently is effected by smoking and the ability to fight infections is reduced. This also gave me a reason to stop smoking.

The other reason was that I was a sad addict and if I only had a small amount of tobacco left I would start to panic and worry about how I would cope if I ran out. That annoyed me too! Now I panic if I go out and forget the inhalator so I am not fully over that annoyance yet.

Who ever stops and manages to stay stopped only has my admiration now, but I still find the people who try to preach to those who still smoke as annoying as I did before.