Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Ally

Does anyone want to stop smoking?

Many of my friends still smoke and I am certain that if I even tried a drag I would probably undo all the work I have struggled to achieve so far and be back smoking again.

....... but I still find the people who try to preach to those who still smoke as annoying as I did before.

There is an old saying: " One is too many, and two aren't enough This applies to cigarettes or alcohol . Anything that we have become addicted to and are trying to quit. It has been 18 years now since I have had a cigarette and every now and then I would really like to have a cigar. However if I do, I know that - "two just won't be enough" I would be off and running again just like I was - 2-3 packs a day of non-filtered Pall Mall's.

I quit drinking alcohol over 26 years ago, and haven't ever wanted another drink since. But my cigarettes - that is a different story. What I miss most is my ZIPPO lighter that I always carried with me. I still feel kind of undressed without it. It sit's right in the middle of my work bench, and I still fill it every now and then - for other things like my blow torch and such - of course.

As for reformed smokers preaching to you..... Yeah, they will always be annoying - until you really want to quit.

... If I could have smoked two at a time I would have done...

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm laughing because I'm the original "dragon lady". I totally understand where you are coming from. I haven't quit yet.

You have an excellent motivation for stopping. And this is what it takes. Hang in there and don't give in...

My husband quit on Ash Wednesday and is still quit. God love him, he quit and I'm still smoking around him, I honestly don't know how he's done it! (and yes, I feel like a real cad for continuing to smoke around him)

For over a year after I quit Marilyn, my wife continued to smoke, but she would always go outside on the patio. I kept telling her, that this was her home, and that she went out side to no one, including me. Finally one evening I came home from work, and this normally congenial, sweet tempered lady of mine was a terror. I asked her what was wrong and she blurted out: " I haven't had a cigarette in 48 hours!!!

That was it. She hasn't had a cigarette since 1989

48 hours and you didn't notice!!!!!! Oh Jim!!

;) That is rather telling, isn't it? :blink:

No, since I had quit a year earlier, she tried not to smoke in front of me, and wasn't near as heavy a smoker as I had been.

Still........ you do have a point. I don't think I will show her this post. There goes 47 years - down the drain all because I didn't pay attention to her smoking back in '89. :rolleyes: <_< :P :P

Paul,

Congratulations! I stopped just after xmas after 11 years of smoking and knowing how difficult it has been for me I can only imagine how hard it must be for you after 40.

I have to admit though, I have had a few moments of caving in, always after a couple of glasses of wine. But I think that the important thing is just to wake up the day after you have those caving in days and not then think of yourself of a smoker.

I have used the nicotine lozenges and find that they work really well to take the craving for a cigarette away immediately. I reckon I am now just as addicted to those as I am/was to cigarettes but I just keep telling myself that the diffierence with them is that they won't kill me.

x x

Hi Paul,

I quit about 12 years or so ago using the patches. Cannot say it was easy and I know if I had just one now I would be smoking again.

But there ain't no easy way to do this, you have just got to stay with it, keep on keeping on as they say. The one thing that did help though was looking back at what I'd achieved and refusing to throw all that away for the sake of a cigarette.

I don't preach to anyone about not smoking, but now I find I cannot stand to be in a smoky atmosphere at all, and for me, the sooner it's banned in public places the better.

So grit yer teeth mate and keep on keeping on !

Guest bearlover

Never statred and never will. I grew up with a family of all somkers. they did me a favor they turned me off from cigretts. :D :)

Never statred and never will. I grew up with a family of all somkers. they did me a favor they turned me off from cigretts. :D :)

[size=1]I have just managed to stop after32 yrs. I have not found it difficult, but before i stopped i was dreading the thought of it, so maybe it is best not to think about it !! and just quit. [/size]