Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
oneleggedtog

shame about the topic that was locked

Although I didnt agree with the other side it was interesting to see some other insights & experiences.

Most of the rest of these topics in this section are stultifying boring & the sort of fodder that sells womens 'chat' magazines. Nothing challenging, nothing that could be uncomfortable in the real world.......I just happend to notice how many hits that topic had 1800+ compared to the chit chat threads 30-200. So somebody, in fact quite a lot of people found it interesting.

I am a newcomer here & have no right to challenge the order, I am just suprised how artificial this all is......and no room for any real debate. Anyway I shall leave here and go back to Deviant art politics forum, where the real action is LOL & there is no room for any cuddly fluffy nicey stuff. xxxx

Hi Oneleggedtog,

yes, certainly is cosy here.

Informative a great resource and comfort for those in need of support and advice.

You see, this forum is for supporting existing/becoming Amputee's. Women, men, children, also their families and friends etc. Of which the majority of members help each other, learn from each other to get through difficult times. And also to share one and others experiences.

I'm sure that if the members wanted to have debates, they would go to forums where debating is the point of a forum.

You mention that the thread had 1800+ hits, true; however the majority of those hits were from guests, who as guest are not members.

Sorry you think it's a shame, but there are numerous topics/threads you can read here and join in with and help others.

Best regards

Steve

I, too, was sad to see the New Devotee Site topic locked. I value the free exchange of ideas, especially with people like oneleggedtog, who had direct knowledge of what he spoke. Even though our experiences brought us to different conclusions, it was great that we could, for a time, exchange our experiences and opinions. Isn't that how we learn?

There are aspects to being an amputee about which not everyone agrees. "I like the Iceross liner." "I had a bad experience with Iceross liners." Those who feel disharmony just because not everyone shares their opinion should simply leave the thread, and let the debate between the different camps enlighten anyone who has a sincere interest in learning about Iceross liners from those who have actually used them.

I wouldn't want to live in a world free of disharmony--it's what keeps us questioning, growing, thriving. Utopia would be damn boring. Wasn't there a Twilight Zone episode about this, where the residents at first thought they were in heaven, and then came to realize they were really in hell?

I've had a tough time with my feelings about this thread. On the one hand, I've no sympathy for Internet sickos, but on the other I've learned that not everyone who considers themselves a dev really is sick. I do not agree that we should lock up a topic because some individuals consider it disruptive, however, so long as the moderators ensure that the real foamers are held in check. One thought on my part, though: do you think HMM would have shied away from a discussion lilke this? I can't say for certain, but I'd bet she wouldn't.

That's an overall conclusion I take away from this discussion, one that's been building for awhile: I wish HMM would occasionally show some presence here, express an opinion, something. I know this site can't be a really high priority for someone as high-profile as she is but in the several years I've been here I can't say I've ever seen any evidence of her participation. That may not be fair of me, but I think the site would benefit greatly by a somewhat more active role for her.

I wish HMM would occasionally show some presence here, express an opinion, something.

I have thought the same thing many times.

:ph34r:

Hi

Not everybody that comes on this site uses there own name how do we know that MMH is not on this site under an assumed name it might be you it might be me who's knows?.

Pat.

I come here for the experiences of others, (and to share mine) - not for their notoriety. My immediate question in reading a post, is what do they have to offer in relation to their experiences as an amputee, or spouse, parent, sibling, relative or friend of one, or an amputee-to-be. Being a celebrity does not make them any more - or less - experienced or knowlegable. I don't need to know who any of you are any more than another. We are all the same.

This to me, is a place for substance - not style. (Mixed in with the prerequisite of humor of course.)

Personally, I couldn't blame HMM for wanting her anonymity. Just trying to set her apart here is a good reason why. I respect her right to privacy - and yours - and mine. I imagine that is why some choose to use a pseudonym while posting here. Maybe?

Who we are is not why we come here - it is what we are that brings us all together.

As others have described it - this is just my "two cents worth", (and worth every penny of it, I might add.)

do you think HMM would have shyed away from a discussion lilke this? I can't say for certain, but I'd bet she wouldn't.

I had the same thought as well, trwinship, but knowing nothing of the lady other than that she married ex-Beatle Paul and is a model and spokesperson against landmines, I decided to order her book, A Single Step. It appears to be out of print, so I was able to pick up a new copy for only $3 + S&H through amazon.

I look forward to finding out whether she sees herself as a role model for other amputees. In particular, what was her motivation for creating this discussion forum? Did she just lend her name to it, with no real participation or guidance, or was she actively involved (at least at the beginning)?

I think it wise of her NOT to be a visible presence in this discussion forum, as her participation would likely stifle free expression. I fear that, once HMM will have spoken, all would either fall in line or fall silent (IMHO). Hmm... I wonder how she feels about Iceross liners?

HMM is probably well advised to keep out of topics like this, because you can bet if something were to come up in the tabloids around this subject, some dirty little researcher paid by the red tops would be scouring these forums for dirt to throw around at her.

Posted Jan 12

Anyway I shall leave here and go back to Deviant art politics forum, where the real action is LOL & there is no room for any cuddly fluffy nicey stuff. xxxx

... The long Goodbye <_< :wub: