Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
debbie

What feet do you like??

I am a relatively new amp (1 year) and am needing a second leg. I have the elation foot which is heel height udjustable and use a suspension sleeve. I am thinking of trying the seal in liner, Iceross. Also looking at giving up my 2 inch heels for more athletic capabilities and going with the LP Ceterus (I have a long limb) I am nervous about the change since I have only had the one leg and not had problems. It is comfortable but am too active for the suspension sleeve to hold on. Also, I cannot run, do aerobics etc. with the elation. If anyone would like to share their opinion on what they like, I would be grateful for the input!!

Here's to getting up and running again-

Debbie

Hi Debbie

I have what someone described as a very basic leg. It is called a SUPRCONDULYAR SUSPENSION. It has no suspension sleeve or belt. It simply locks behind the inside of my knee with a wedge that is built into the liner, when I put my leg on. I wear a Knit Rite 5 ply wool sock with this. I also put a nylon sheath on the outside of the liner so that I can easily slip into my prosthesis. I then have a Carbon Copy II foot (with a 5/8" heel rise) without any ankle attached straight to the leg.

With this set up, I have gone danceing, hiking etc., and am able to climb ladders, walk on roofs securely, (I am a retired building contractor), and do anything that I choose to do. I have always been active, and not much of a fashion plate. This leg however is fully molded without a pylon. It fits like a glove - or more correctly, like an old shoe.

During the night when I get up, I put on my wool sock, my liner, and then just step into my leg as I begin walking. Just like putting on my slipppers. It stays there until I want it off and then just a slight tug, and it comes right off.

I have worn this since my amputation in 1988, and would not change for all of the new fangled ones on the market today. Every now and then, my prosthetist shows me a new ankle or leg - knowing that I'm content with what I have -, but I believe in the old adage - If it works, don't fix it

Would I reccomend it for you - or anyone else for that matter? I don't know. It definitely works for me, which is what you asked. I guess it depends on the life style or expectations. In legs or feet - one size does not fit all.

Stay tuned, I am sure you are going to get many more different responses. Good luck in your search. I'm sure that just the right set up is out there for you.

Hi Debbie,

Are you an AK or BK? I think choosing the right foot depends on this too.

I use the IC-40 foot from Otto Bock. Very pleased with it so far. I would catagorize it as an all-rounder. I do lots of sports but not a fanatic so this foot serves me well. Have ran with it, skied with it, cycled with it, played tennis with it, fell in a pool with it :lol: ooops, and it still functions very well, hehe.

As for the shaft, i have a supracondular socket. The fitting is so perfect (after lots of correcting but the end result was worth it) i just need to wear one nylon sock. Slip in , slip out , et voila. My prosthesist told me the supra. works very well for longish, slim stumps but the casting and fit have to be perfect.

Good luck in deciding. :)

Hi Debbie,

I'm a RBK and I have an Elation for when I want to change height, and for basic use, and I have a Low Profile VariFlex for more energy return. Both of them are on a pin system, the Elation with an Iceross Sport Liner and the LP with an Alpha Max.

Both are comfortable - but the LP is, for me, much better for higher activity levels.

Good luck,

Sue.

Hi Debbie,

I'm going on leg 3 in less than two years. I'm going for the seal-in liner too, but keep in mind that if you are a runner or into heavy athletics, you'll need to wear a sleeve for that bombproof protection. it is fairly easy to lose suction with this suspension. I have a Renegade foot which I like very much. This will be the second leg I've had with that foot.

Almost all manufacturers offer a trial period where you can try the foot and then return it if it doesn't work. I test drove three feet before settling on the Renegade. You can also keep your Elation foot for use when it is more appealing.

If I've learned one thing since joining this lifestyle it's that one size DOES NOT fit all. Try new things. If they work, great. If not, try try again. Empower yourself with knowledge. I read about new products in InMotion, on the internet, and attend the ACA conferences held each year. I'm always interested when I read a post here and on other boards about people using new products that might make my life easier.

Hi Neal-

Good advice about trying different feet. Now that you say it, I do remember Ossur telling me at gait training at the last ACA convention, that you had 90 days to try out a foot. That takes the pressure off a little. I agree that researching options is important. That is why this forum is so helpful. Last year was my first ACA convention and I was a sponge trying to learn everything I could. I am in Dallas, so I was very busy working the host booth too. I probably saw some of you without knowing it! I am actually quoted in an article regarding support groups and the ACA in the Jan/Feb issue of inMotion. (Page 36 has a group picture... I am in the back dead center in a pink shirt!) I was pretty excited when they called and asked me to be in the article. I look forward to the next one in June.

Regarding the using the Elation foot too.. Ideally, I am wanting to have a second socket made. That way I can have a covered high heel leg and a run around version. I have the feet etc. but am being quoted a huge price for just a socket since insurance will only cover one. Any input there. I still have not gotten savy enough to know what is a reasonable price.

thanks for the reply!

Hi Debbie,

Have a friend who wants that foot. woth 8.5K over here though. She is very active, skiing etc. She used to use high heeled feet-I had tried them also no feeback or heel suspension. I currently use the College Park Tru Step great for endurance and spring

Early days are so tough Debbie, but you'll find the right foot; just takes a few try outs & a little time.

ps thanks to for the time to send me a PM

Melissa

Hi Neal-

Thanks for the input. I am really looking at the Renegade. I have to decide on the foot now that I finally got my appeal with insurance approved.. YEAH! However, my prosthetist is not as accomadating as yours appears to be. Trying three feet is not an option. Therefore, I am having to research feet options to death! It is hard to know which way to go without trying them. But I do hear really good things about the renegade and it is much lighter than the others (but I am not even sure if that matters?) Running, hiking, step classes and walking on uneven ground are my main objectives. I guess I will just dive in and decide so I can get it ordered! Thanks for the input and also the feedback that when running, I will have to use a suspension sleeve in addition to the iceross liner! I am just a sponge soaking up the info these days. Oh and I saw how you mention going to the ACA convention every year to get info. I was at the one in dallas and being a new amp it was so great! I am actually in this months inMotion quoted on that very subject! I look forward to being in my new leg at the one in June!

Thanks again for your input-

Debbie

I don't understand why your legman won't let you try other feet. It would cost him nothing but time.

If you have to play with the cards dealt, I don't think you'll be unhappy with the Renegade. it is a good all-purpose foot. It has plenty of spring to store energy during running or high impact sports. I really like mine.

Keep soaking up that knowledge. It is what will get you through. It can also get you into trouble, but that is another subject.

I don't understand why your legman won't let you try other feet. It would cost him nothing but time.

No, me neither.

Won't he even let you trial two, side by side? As Neal said, it won't cost him a penny! <_<

Well, I have a pair of Runways and Renegades LP's, both from Freedom Innovations. I have written my experiences/thoughts on both these feet and they are located in this section of the forum. To save you searching for them, please click these:

Review of Runways

Review of Renegades

You'll notice that in the process of deciding on the Renegades, I trialled them alongside the Elite, from Blatchford. I found the trial very enlightening. Like you, I felt I needed to actually wear the feet to get a good idea whether they'd be suitable or not. That's why I think your prosthetist is being unfair by not allowing you trial any feet. How else will you know if you like them or not? If the tables were turned, would he expect the same??? <_<

In any case, if it's high-activity feet you're after, I believe you'd like the Renegades. They are very springy and make you walk faster when wearing them. I'm sure that running would be much easier too, but I haven't got to that stage yet. I still haven't had the opportunity to do much in them actually, as I've had problems getting a good fit in the sockets. But the several times I have worn them so far and walked in them, I was highly impressed!

The Runways are heel-height adjustable upto 2 inches. They are far more responsive/functional than the other heel-adjustable feet on the market at present. These, too, are quite springy, and I personally find that I walk very naturally in them. I've had them for roughly a year and a half (my memory sucks!) and after all this time, they feel very much a part of me. I do occasionally wear different heel heights, and find them easy to change and walk in, but for an easier life, I tend to wear the same shoes (trainers) most of the time.

Saying that though, the Elites that I trialled were also very good. Again, expect to walk very naturally in them. You can see why I opted for the Renegades over the Elites in the Review I linked to above.

I'd have another word with your your prosthetist if I were you. If he's not willing to arrange some trials for you, then maybe he needs to be reminded that you can take your business elsewhere (I see you're from the USA)! :rolleyes:

Best of luck with your choice anyway. :)

Afet-

Thanks a lot for your message. I asked to try two feet side by side like you suggested. My CP is unwilling I think because of the time it would take to have me run around his office, I guess...and oh yeah, he mentioned restocking fees. I am new at this but quickly realizing there are many ways CP choose to do business. Unfortunately, if I want insurance to cover it I go where they tell me. I could complain and gripe but it won't get me anywhere except without a foot because my hands are tied with insurance.

I did read your review on the Renegade and Runway. Neal also speaks highly of the Renegade. I was being directed towards the Ceterus but I am thinking the Renegade now. I liked what you said about climbing down that hill. I want to hike and that was a good point!

Thanks for taking the time to give those reviews. It really helps those of us who rely on other peoples experiences until we get enough of our own!

Debbie

Thanks for taking the time to give those reviews. It really helps those of us who rely on other peoples experiences until we get enough of our own!

You're welcome Debbie. :)

Each of us amputees have been in the same position or WILL BE AGAIN when the time comes around for selecting new feet.

I'd like to hope that I'd get the same kind of input from others when my turn comes up again. Who knows?? :unsure:

Debbie,

For what it is worth I'm using the Elite foot. This is a significant upgrade from the SACHS foot I started out with.

Being very active, the Elite lets me do all of the things I want to without too much effort required to roll through the foot.

However, I do find that correct adjustment is important in order to achieve this, a difference of a couple of MM say from a pair of every day shoes to a pair of trainers (fractionally lower heel) is very noticeable, requiring more effort to move the foot through the mid point.

I have not had the chance to try the Renegade, but I would be interested to know if it behaves the same.

Thanks marcus! That is pretty frustrating about the restocking fee comment. Maybe it is an Ossur thing since that is the products they typically use. However, I told them yesterday to order me the Renegade. It sounds like the everyone I have talked to loves it. I will get it next week.

Thanks for taking the time to inform me of Freedom Innovations policy on restocking fees. The more information I get the better!

Debbie