Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
paul@plan-a

Golf

Hi All

I have decided to return to the golf course, have bought new shoes and a new putter.

I’ve been to the driving range and I’m as terrible as I was 10 years ago.

Having not played on one leg before (I’m a R A/K) has anyone any advise?

I have booked a buggy, and will be playing in a month, dusted off the old clubs, I will play using my peg leg to get more rotation.

Paul :)

Paul,

I gave up playing about 5 years ago as a 14 handicap golfer. Strange as it may seem but since losing my leg (BK) I have had this real desire to play once more. So much so that I took my driver onto the lawn, just to see how I might cope with swinging a club.

The turn through the backswing is fine, but the rotation on my leg and knee for the down swing and follow through was quite painful because my leg tended to be locked in the forward position. I found I could overcome this by just raising my heel a little and allowing the 'toes' to rotate through the swing.

Whilst this did work to a degree, I think if I wanted to play seriously again I would be looking at a leg that would offer some rotational flexibility something like the Ossur rotational shock absorber type. Perhaps this is something I might discuss with the limb centre one day. Right now I would be happy to get through a full day without some kind of a problem developing.

Keep us posted with your progress, I would be interested to know how you get on.

This is definitely a job for Lizzie Link. There are TONS of golfing sites for one legged and no legged golfers.

I really have no interest - I would rather watch paint dry. However, if someone needs the golf cart to be driven (and the beer carried around) - I am quite adept at that. Only crashed once (on a tiny bridge) and only broke the cart once (stupid fan belt leapt off).

My son is a 9 handicap, and if I promise to be very quiet ( B) ) then I am allowed to drive the cart.

Good luck - all together now...........LIZZIEEEEEEEEEEEEE........

:P

I have played a little since losing my leg (RBK). I found the lack of rotation in my earlier leg(s) caused some pain in the knee.

My latest leg, which has the newer version of the Harmony system, has some rotational movement and shock absorption which makes playing golf much better.

Hasn't improved my game at all - I used to play golf with my son but haven't been able to beat him for several years now - he now plays off a 7 handicap.

Is this the right place for golf jokes?.....Huh?....is it?? :unsure:

I've played a fair bit in the past. I'm a RAK same as you, the rotation thing you should definitely sort out. There are products out there specifically aimed at the likes of us. I use our Blatchford TT Pylon which give +/- 30 deg of rotation, and some telescopic movement. Before that I used a 'torque absorber' which only had the torque element but rotates +/- 45 deg. Basically what these products allow you to do is plant your foot rigidly on the ground and twist about your waist, so you hips turn as they should.

A letter to your consultant explaining you are playing golf and having difficulty turning your body should get you what you want. It's just a component that should just fit into your limb build.

There's two major amputee tournements each year in the UK, BAGA, The British Amputee Golf Association have one, moving around from Wales, England, Scoltand and Ireland each year. BALASA hold the other one, I think they quite often now hold it at Staverton Park in Daventry and is quite well subsidised.

I've been to a few of these, and would recommend them, all levels of ability are served and you don't need to worry about not being good enough, they welcome everyone.

I used to walk round the 18 holes, but it's a buggy for me everytime now! not that I've played much recently.

It's no sweat and you'll enjoy it and good luck.

I've just realised, you've got a TT haven't you? If you have, put your toes up agianst the leg of your desk, and twist, you'll see you can twist leaving the foot still.... this rotation should be enough, I imagine most courses would have a problem with you using a peg leg because of the damage you'll do to the greens.

Edited by oneblueleg

Thanks too all, the rotation is no problem as I will play wearing the J-leg you can 360 on the foot!

I 've had a putter built, busy practising in the lounge. I used to play off 18, so if I can achieve that again I will be well happy.

I'm going to adapt the J-leg foot to take studs for more grip.

I posted on the amp golfer sites but did'nt get a repy, not like our great site.

Look for the up dates, I hope to keep the thread ticking over.

PJ :D

Thanks too all, the rotation is no problem as I will play wearing the J-leg you can 360 on the foot!

I 've had a putter built, busy practising in the lounge. I used to play off 18, so if I can achieve that again I will be well happy.

I'm going to adapt the J-leg foot to take studs for more grip.

I posted on the amp golfer sites but did'nt get a repy, not like our great site.

Look for the up dates, I hope to keep the thread ticking over.

PJ :D

I've not experienced much activity webwise with the Golf people... I'll dig some names and phone numbers if you're interested.

I've seen people with way more disability than us with very low handicaps... your lack of right leg shouldn't get in the way of an 18 handicap...

Is this the right place for golf jokes?.....Huh?....is it??

Sigh - yip Cat, I guess it is. Just hang on a sec while I whip up a few chicken sarmies (go easy now folks, we only have 2 choeks left), and we'll pull up a chair and get ready for a good dose of Cat humour...............

:D :D

K.....................................

GO

I lost my leg riding a motorbike. Golf's far more dangerous I hear a lot of golfers lose their balls whilst playing ;)

A guy was hitting off towards the first hole and was just about to swing when a voice BOOMED out from the clubrooms.

"WOULD the gentleman on the Ladies Tee please move back to the Gentlemans Tee"

The guy checked his storke and looked angrily towards the clubrooms then took his stance again and prepared to hit his ball.

As he was about to swing the voice BOOMED out again.

"WOULD the GENTLEMAN on the Ladies Tee please move back to the gentlemans Tee"

Again he checked his shot and shot and angry glare at the clubrooms and once again prepared to hit his ball.

Once again from the clubhouse........" WOULD the GENTLEMAN on the LADIES TEE PLEASE move back to the GENTLEMANS TEE"

The guy checked his shot once more and tossed his driver towards the clubrooms and shouted......"WOULD THE IDIOT IN THE CLUBROOM PLEASE SHUT THE HELL UP AND ALLOW ME TO TAKE MY SECOND SHOT"

:unsure::rolleyes:

:P :P :P :P :P thanks Muz for that bit of humor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EAG

:lol: :lol:

Even I got that one...... :P

I do tend to play quite often but generally a fine weather player.

After a particularly bad round last summer (so not in the best of moods) I entered the club house wearing my shorts for a few shandy's.

This guy I was talking to then asked what my handicap was, I snapped at him, I have no legs isn't that enough. He was quite shocked with this. I did apologise however. My sense of humour gets the better of me sometimes.

Mike :rolleyes:

Hi Paul:

I'm quite the avid golfer myself, played very well in high school(The High School Team Champions) then lost my leg shortly after that and didn't play for awhile. It had been ten years or so after losing it and not playing that an old pro friend from the local golf course came in to were I was working and had asked me if I had been playing, when I told him I hadn't because I thought it would be to difficult since I lost my right leg above the knee he justed laughed and said if I would meet him on the course he would show me that because of my loss my k swing would be better than before, so I did. He was right and now I play better than I did in High School. Nice Picture. We just had a couple feet of snow so don't think I'll be playing for a little while. Good luck in your golfing and I also belong to AGA (Amputee Golf Association) great people.

Take Care

from Connecticut, USA

Pete

Hi Folks

Its my big day tomorrow, my first round of golf since my amputation. I have been down the range half a dozen times, bought new shoes and had a putter built.

I tee off at 10.30 http://www.stockbrook.com/golf.htm I just hope it's a sunny day, let you know how I get on

PJ :rolleyes:

Hi Folks

Its my big day tomorrow, my first round of golf since my amputation. I have been down the range half a dozen times, bought new shoes and had a putter built.

I tee off at 10.30 http://www.stockbrook.com/golf.htm I just hope it's a sunny day, let you know how I get on

Good luck, looks like you might be lucky with the weather....

Weather

Hi Folks

good luck PJ, I know how great it feels to get a bit of your old self back.

(I am well aware that i've left myself open to weird comments :P )

Oh dear, now who would do a thing like that H.

Mind you, I do hope you find your 'bits' :lol: :lol:

Oh dear, now who would do a thing like that H.

Mind you, I do hope you find your 'bits' :lol: :lol:

might've know it'd be you first :P

mind you, i did drop one of my bits yesterday, it fell out of my jacket when i was showing my trike off to a mate. The prot had just given me a new sleeve,,, they make a weird sound when they hit the floor..... and people who've never seen them before get these stange expressions :huh::rolleyes: :o