Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Fireman Si

Back to Work!!!!!

I'll just start off by saying hello to all on the forum. I've been away for a while and hav'nt posted in nearly 6 months, which i feel a little guilty about because you were all there when i needed advice and just a friendly ear.

However there is a good reason, for the last 4 months i have been training and completeing assessments to get back operational in the Fire Service. It's been a long process but i finally found out yesterday that i start back on the 12th of February as Europes first operational amputee firefighter.

Don't get me wrong i'm well chuffed for myself but i couldnt have done this if it was'nt for the immense support i recieved from the Fire Service and more especially from my partner Annie.

That's really all i have to say, but if you want to know more, the BBC have done a small documentry thats been filmed and goes out on Feb the 20th (Inside Out, 7:00pm), it explains thing so much better than i ever could. (picture paints a thousand words sort of thing..)

It's been a long process but i finally found out yesterday that i start back on the 12th of February as Europes first operational amputee firefighter.

Whoooooooohooooooooooooo - way to go. What an awesome achievement. No doubt it will take forever for that documentary to make it's way down the African side, but I shall definitely keep an eye out for it.

Sterling!

Ally

Great news, Si. We have missed you here but are happy to know that you are achieving your goal. I hope the documentary makes it to the US.

Keep up the good work!

FABULOUS: Very proud of you!! :lol:

I hope the documentary hits Canada, if you find out if it does, I'd love to know when????? I'd love to see it.

You must be feeling GREAT,

So very proud of you, it must of been very tough.

I'm kinda proud of myself too, I started back to work last Thursday, so far I'm doing well, it's a straight 7 days on 3:30 - 11:45, but I'm loving it, you can only dust so long :D

So lots of luck to you luv, you must be very chuffed.

Lynne

Wow!! B) What ancheivement!! Truly, you are an inspiration. I, too hope it comes on in the US, I would love to see it.

Lynne--congrats with your new job, also! B) I can appreciate what you about the dusting....

Patti

What an accomplishment, Si!!! B) B)

You have every reason to feel proud of yourself.

Will watch out for the programme. ;)

P.S. Mike (AB), you're welcome to remind me about this one too, seeing as you have it in your diary already! :P

Congratulations and well done

One of the rewards for having a positive and determined attitude???

Not knowing you I assume you must be well motivated with the above attributes.

I don't in anyway believe it was easy for you, but you have ACHIEVED

Again well done

Will watch out for the programme

John

... Look who's only gone and made the BBC News website!?!! ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amputee returns to firefighting

A Worcestershire man has become the first firefighter in the UK to work with a false leg.

Simon Hawkins, from Bromsgrove, lost his lower left leg in a motorbike accident in 2005.

He has been allowed back to work after a series of gruelling tests and what he calls "incredible" support.

"When it first happened, within a matter of two months, nearly £20,000 was raised for me to buy state-of-the-art prosthesis," he said.

Mr Hawkins added: "I really couldn't have done this without my work colleagues, my friends, my family, and especially without my partner.

"I know physically that my leg's capable of doing anything.

"It's whether I can adapt my physical style to using my leg. But it's bought and paid for and it does the job perfectly."

Mr Hawkins is the first active firefighter in the UK to work with such a disability.

Paul Hayden, Hereford & Worcester Fire Service's Chief Fire Officer, said: "The one thing I can't do is put him at risk. It's a case of not letting him do things too quickly and it all go wrong.

"But if you do it properly, I was always convinced he had every chance.

"If anybody was ever going to do it, it was Simon. And I'm chuffed that he has."

His story will feature on Inside Out on BBC One West Midlands on Monday from 1930 GMT.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well done Si. We're all proud of you. ;) B)

Taken from this page of the BBC News website, which has a pic of Si running! B)

OK, I've just noticed that if you go to that BBC News link (which I posted above), just to the right of the article, you can click to see a clip all about Simon.

The video clip includes an interview with Simon and his family.

(Si, your Mum's very glam!) :)

...and so you should be proud, Si

It's very touching how you are out there saving other people.

It's really fantastic - your whole attitude. Cheers to you ! :)

ps. and your gran is glam too B)

Also a big cheers to your family, partner and friends. Their support - this is a major force that contributes to our success in dealing with this :)

Well done!! :D It's a great achievement, Simon & you're a great role model for the youngsters! Your family are obviously 'chuffed to bits' for you too! :D

Lizzie :)

PS Thanks for posting that, Afet. I was wondering (just the other day) if I'd missed it...and I obviously had!

Awesome. Thanks for the post, Afet.

Awesome link Afet :)

WELL DONE SI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did anyone else watch Richard and Judy this evening??

Si was on it, talking about his return to firefighting. He was also showing off his hardware!! :lol:

Judy was well impressed, saying that she "wouldn't like to be on the other end" of Si's prosthesis. :blink: Er... Another classic from Judy there. :blink:

Si came over really well, and looked very calm and confident. Well done Si! :D

showing off his hardware Afet?

what channel was it on? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

showing off his hardware Afet?

what channel was it on? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Damn - I missed that too! ;)